Guitarists who play in B standard...come on in!

D'Addario EXL145 12 - 54 have always done the trick for me on a standard 6-string IbanezRG. You have to give them a real big stretch to settle them down though....

6 pound is all? more like 8 after i tune down to Ab! haha! and the reason it probably sounds like shit to you is because you have to finesse the string when you play on a string that light! otherwise its bound to sound like shit if you pound on it like you would a .62 or whatever. Im a huge Dino fan, and that light B string is key to his tone, and his great picking hand.

6 pound is all? more like 8 after i tune down to Ab! haha! and the reason it probably sounds like shit to you is because you have to finesse the string when you play on a string that light! otherwise its bound to sound like shit if you pound on it like you would a .62 or whatever. Im a huge Dino fan, and that light B string is key to his tone, and his great picking hand.

I prefer beating the hell out of things. I can hold back and play nicely, but I prefer the sound of thick strings getting obliterated to the sound of thin strings getting 'finessed'...

Jeff

The set I was referring to had a 52 for the E and a 60 for the B... a big problem with the standard sets (like the usual 10-46) is that the A string is a few pounds heavier than the E string, which drives me nuts, and when people take that set and add a 56 for the low B it's even worse.

Jeff

The set I was referring to had a 52 for the E and a 60 for the B... a big problem with the standard sets (like the usual 10-46) is that the A string is a few pounds heavier than the E string, which drives me nuts, and when people take that set and add a 56 for the low B it's even worse.

Jeff

+1

The best set i've found so far is the D'addario XL medium top heavy bottom

11 14 18 30 42 52

replace the bottom 52 with 54 or 56 and it's awesome for C# standard

I think it is a matter of taste... I remember Mattias Eklundh telling me he used 9-42 for all of his tunings (I'm not sure if he still does that)...
Anyway, he has a guitar tuned in Bbm13, so he gets as low as Bb with a 9-42, and he's an incredible player... On the other hand, I wouldn't want HIS sound (his hands, yes) :)

i'm using 12-52 elexir, but i play on ibanez MMM1, it's 28'' 6string baritone.
also i've tried 12-65 elexir for baritones, but it had to much low mud for me, no place for 5-string bass at repetition.

i'm using 12-52 elexir, but i play on ibanez MMM1, it's 28'' 6string baritone.
also i've tried 12-65 elexir for baritones, but it had to much low mud for me, no place for 5-string bass at repetition.

I use the 12-52 nanoweb Elixirs as well on my 25.5" scale Jackson. Sounds fine to me but Elixirs generally seem tighter at a given tuner than a normal string. I used a 56 for the low B for awhile and I think I might switch back to that though.