Recommend me a guitar.

Sickan

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jan 23, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
Now with all my new nice gear I'm finding my recording guitar to be the weakest link, a Epiphone Gothic Explorer (24.75") w/ EMG 81 (18v) & 60, soundwise and playing wise.

I play in (and around) Drop A (AEADF#B w/ .062 .046 .036 .026w .017 .013) and the scale on the Explorer is 24.75", not what you would want.

My other guitar is a Jackson Kelly (25.5" w/ Floyd Rose) w/ EMG 81 & 85 which I absolutly love playing, but since it's a FR bridge it looses sustain and intonation.

My appartmentmate has a Schecter C1-Elite (25.5", uses the same tuning and string gauge as me, EMG 81) but I don't like playing it, mainly because of the bridge... I think (could be the action or something, not sure), the sustain is great tho. When I record it I don't find the tones turning out as I want them (works great for him tho, haha).
*Reference*

The amp(s) I'm going to use it with is my (TS9 or HM-2 boosted) 5150 and the Big Bottom (Pod Farm Platinum).
Tones I like: Organic Hallucinosis (Decapitated), The Fathomless Mastery (Bloodbath), Evangelion/Demigod (Behemoth), The End of Heartache (Killswitch Engage), Obzen/Nothing (Meshuggah), Depths (Oceano) and Suicide Season (BMTH). You get the point...

It will be a 6-stringed recording guitar (mainly for rhythm, I don't play solos) so the appearence isn't top priority, preferably a non Floyd Royse (exept if it stays in tune) and no V's please.

I'm thinking of buying a baritone guitar (I will have to try one in a store first, havn't played one before), or at least a 25.5".

(Interested in a http://www.thomann.de/se/esp_ltd_mhb401bks.htm , but I haven't tried playing it yet.)

My budjet will be around 2000$, planning to buy it in January.

Not entirely sure what you're doing with those small fonts, but i like it.

ESP is probably a good way to go - something good quality with humbuckers - 25 1/2" also would be wise. baritone not essential but i guess would have better intonation. go try some out in a shop?

Not entirely sure what you're doing with those small fonts, but i like it.

ESP is probably a good way to go - something good quality with humbuckers - 25 1/2" also would be wise. baritone not essential but i guess would have better intonation. go try some out in a shop?
Haha, it gets easier on the eye : 3
About the "something good quality with humbuckers"... yeah thats kinda what I'm looking for :loco:
The neck on the LTD is a lot thinner than the other guitars you mentioned.
I also suggest that u try it first.

2000 USD = 1,345.05 EUR

For that much you can get this http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_slsmgwh_w_case.htm
or...you are just about for an ESP M1
and then you'll have infinite sustain :) and a neck close to the kelly one
Yeah, I'll try to find one and try it out.
The JACKSON SLSMG (in black) looked pretty fucking sweet I must say!

I'm really gonna encourage the baritone guitar route, longer scale lengths are addicting I'm finding :headbang: The Schecter Baritone gives me a pretty monster chub, I can't deny (even if it is boring ol' black, it's 26.5" scale length, rather than the ESP LTD's, which are 27", a bit much for my C-standard desires but maybe better for you)

I'm really gonna encourage the baritone guitar route, longer scale lengths are addicting I'm finding :headbang: The Schecter Baritone gives me a pretty monster chub, I can't deny (even if it is boring ol' black, it's 26.5" scale length, rather than the ESP LTD's, which are 27", a bit much for my C-standard desires but maybe better for you)

I'm gassing for one of these at 28":

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000tribalblue.html

Also,

2000th post, I'd like to take this moment thank the Academy for putting up with my misanthropic tendencies, casual gaylording and posts of very little relevance to anything worthwhile. Thank you, people of Sneap for not having the common sense to ban me yet, unlike every other forum on the internet, Lasse, I give myself about 250 more posts yet before it is "the time". Cheers!

Marcus, how much different would you say it feels to play a 26.5/27" compared to a 25.5, is it an easy switch?

Haha gratz Öwen : 3 That guitar looks like a fucking beast.

Oh yeah, it's no problem getting used to it at all IMO, unless you have particularly small hands I guess ;)

Honestly, unless you've got retardedly small hands, going from a 6 string 24.75 inch scale to a 27 inch scale 8 string shouldn't be much of a stretch.
A few weeks ago, I picked up a Schecter Hellraiser C-8, 8 string guitar, and it was an easy transition to make going from both either a 6 string 25.5 inch scale or 25.5 inch scale 7 string.
Unless you've got some fucked up riffs where you gotta stretch from the first to 7th fret or something insane like that, 26.5 inches is not that much of a noticeable increase in how much you've got to stretch.
If you've got 2 grand to burn however (are we talking 2000 US?) then you may as well buy a custom made axe, because it'll be far better value for money than a production line instrument.
If you absolutely cannot wait for the build time though, Schecter is a a good bet. I don't know how much an EBMM guitar goes for in your neck of the woods, but I can imagine a baritone Petrucci model would be just about as good as it gets for a production instrument.

Öwen;8677816 said:
ONLY IF YOU SHOW ME YOUR LEGS, JUST ONCE MORE, LIKE OLD TIMES.
You only get one leg this time.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/317055/leg.jpg

Honestly, unless you've got retardedly small hands, going from a 6 string 24.75 inch scale to a 27 inch scale 8 string shouldn't be much of a stretch.
A few weeks ago, I picked up a Schecter Hellraiser C-8, 8 string guitar, and it was an easy transition to make going from both either a 6 string 25.5 inch scale or 25.5 inch scale 7 string.
Unless you've got some fucked up riffs where you gotta stretch from the first to 7th fret or something insane like that, 26.5 inches is not that much of a noticeable increase in how much you've got to stretch.
If you've got 2 grand to burn however (are we talking 2000 US?) then you may as well buy a custom made axe, because it'll be far better value for money than a production line instrument.
If you absolutely cannot wait for the build time though, Schecter is a a good bet. I don't know how much an EBMM guitar goes for in your neck of the woods, but I can imagine a baritone Petrucci model would be just about as good as it gets for a production instrument.
I don't think i got retardedly, just small enough ; 3 (Not looking for a 8 string tho!) 3rd to 7th fret is as far as I go usually.
Yeah, we're talking 2000 US. I havn't thought of buying a custom, I would like to try it first.
The EBMM was a bit on the ugly side :oops: But damn, if Bulb uses one it must be great...
I'm a bit sceptic against pickups other than EMG's (, since I haven't tried any highend pickups).

I guess the most important thing right now is that I get my ass to a store and try some guitars out (and other pickups then EMG's?).

but I don't like playing it, mainly because of the bridge... I think

A lot of guitars these days have tunermatic bridges. If you're coming from playing Floyds then they can be hard to get use to because they are so high. I used to play FR trems but now only use fixed hardtails. I'm loving my Ibanez with fixed bridge. It may not be the prettiest guitar but it's awesome to play.

A lot of guitars these days have tunermatic bridges. If you're coming from playing Floyds then they can be hard to get use to because they are so high. I used to play FR trems but now only use fixed hardtails. I'm loving my Ibanez with fixed bridge. It may not be the prettiest guitar but it's awesome to play.

Well my current recording guitar (the Explorer) is a tune-o-matic bridge, and I have played tune-o-matics that has been wonderful!

I'd buy that Caparison quick smart.
Those things are horrendously expensive outside Japan, and any chance of picking one up at a reasonable price below retail cost is a great thing.
You'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy it, those guitars are fucking great.
Put a tremol-no in there, it instantly becomes a fixed bridge guitar.