Guitars on planes?

Sadako

New Metal Member
Dec 10, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
I really want to bring my guitar while I'm away from home, but I don't trust putting it on an airplane, since I've seen them just throw everything..I wouldn't think they would let me take it on with me...Will my guitar be safe in the case on the plane?...

If it's only one guitar, and you put it in a gig-bag (not a case), it shouldn't be a problem to take it on the plane as hand-luggage.
Marcel did this once too when he and I went to New York in 2000 and it was not a problem.

But make sure you check with the airline company what the maximum size of hand-luggage is. Marcel's guitar (bag) was exactly the maximum size (1 meter I think). Maximum weight of hand-luggage is usually around 10 kilos.

I always take my cymbals with me as hand-luggage and it hasn't been a problem yet. Just explain them that it's a very valuable instrument. If it doesn't fit in the overhead compartments, there's always a seat free somewhere where they can put it in.

Good luck :)

Dennis

Well what about the luggage area...Would my guitar be safe in there?...Because i've seen them just throw bags onto the ramps, and I'd rather not have my neck snapped in half...I'll call the airline today and ask them about carry-on...

I would not dare it if the guitar would be in a gigbag.
If it's in a sturdy case, it should be no problem though. When you check in, just tell them to handle the case as fragile luggage. Then they'll put "fragile" stickers on it and the personnel won't throw it around.

But really, I'd try to take it as hand luggage.

Dennis

It's not really clear to me how this experiment ended. Did you fly your guitar over as handlugguage or not?

Would it be possible to hi-jack a plane with the help of a guitar?
Last time I flew to Ireland I had to hand in a small pair of scissors
So they defenitely try to eliminate any danger. A seven string Ibanez could supply the tools to strangle 7 people.

keeper of the flame said:
It's not really clear to me how this experiment ended. Did you fly your guitar over as handlugguage or not?

Would it be possible to hi-jack a plane with the help of a guitar?
Last time I flew to Ireland I had to hand in a small pair of scissors
So they defenitely try to eliminate any danger. A seven string Ibanez could supply the tools to strangle 7 people.

I stuffed some foam around the neck and put my guitar in it's hard case. I put a Fragile sticker on it, and put in baggage. I watched in horror as the tosser completely disregarded the fragile sticker and threw my guitar onto the loading ramp...No harm done, though....The case did it's job..