Please help quick, can I carrying guitar on airplane?

Djentkitty

May 23, 2011
Guys, I'm going to Poland tomorrow evening, and I NEED to bring my guitar with me on this trip. Will the airport people there take it away? Thing is, I do have case for the guitar(flying V) but its HUUUUUUUGEEE and heavy as shit so I can't take the case. Only thing I could do is put the guitar around my back. Will they allow that?

If it helps, I'm in the Ontario,Canada area, and I'm also going to be carrying a backpack. I heard they only allow you ONE carry-on bag(with a weight limit) and that's it.

I really need an answer on this quick, greatly appreciate it.
Thanks guys

Unless you are lucky, you won't.

You already have your answer : only one bag, weigh limit etc.

There is a small chance, depending on the airport and airline policy you can give it to the flight attendant who would take care of it, but otherwise chances are pretty low. Cause it's also on extra luggage that they earn money, and believe me, weight costs money to a company.

If I were you, I wouldnt take it because if you can't take it you are fucked since you don't have a bag for it. Flycases are designed for that use (hence the name) so the other safe option would be going with the flycase and your credit card..

If you HAVE to take it, go with your flycase. Cause even if you can take it with you, you cannot have it totally with you since it won't fit anywhere, or would risk to be damaged.

That's why sometimes guitars like musicman (so little) are nice cause it's easier to travel with.

I always check my guitar and carry on everything else. I see people in the airport all the time with gig-bags that carry the guitars on the plane. If you have a gig-bag I think you will be all right , it not pack it really good, check it and hope for the best.

Does "around my back" mean with a gigbag ? If yes then go for it, and hope for the best yeah, otherwise it will cost you a few dollars (hopefully not much since it's light) and will be put with all the other luggage, which should be fine but it's a risk.

Does "around my back" mean with a gigbag ? If yes then go for it, and hope for the best yeah, otherwise it will cost you a few dollars (hopefully not much since it's light) and will be put with all the other luggage, which should be fine but it's a risk.

around my back means, like as if your standing up playing just flipping around. no case, just the strap holding the guitar on my back.

fucking hell im screwed.. i got an old strat bag. should i cut two holes for the tips of the V to stick out and use that?(so fucking ghetto i know but i need this)

EDIT: also, it can't be put with other luggage because its mostly cloths in there and its packed TIGHT. if i even attempt to cram it in, im sure the neck will break/bend to shit.

Well, it would be gambling going with it and no bag so you can try that. If that's your only solution do it but whatever you do I would suggest having a friend with you in case you cannot take it with you so that he/she take it home for you, and you can sort something out yourself in Poland. Poland prices are cheap you might as well buy a guitar there :lol:

Well, it would be gambling going with it and no bag so you can try that. If that's your only solution do it but whatever you do I would suggest having a friend with you in case you cannot take it with you so that he/she take it home for you, and you can sort something out yourself in Poland. Poland prices are cheap you might as well buy a guitar there :lol:

Alright, this is what I'm going to do; tomorrow morning I'm going to call the airport to see if I can take the guitar like that. If they say yea then Ill go for it. Either way my sis is going to take the car back home so if last minute I can't take the guitar, Ill give it to my sis to take back and Ill just play World of Warcraft all month(even though I wanted to get some songs/riffs done). I don't plan on buying another guitar there, IIRC the prices there are a lot higher in Poland? I suppose I could rent a descent guitar for a month there.

Thanks guys, Ill see what happens and post back anyways.

Bloodsoaked666 said:
I always check my guitar and carry on everything else. I see people in the airport all the time with gig-bags that carry the guitars on the plane. If you have a gig-bag I think you will be all right , it not pack it really good, check it and hope for the best.

Yeah most airlines let you take instruments as an extra "handbag" for no charge, well good airlines do that. Cheap ones have a special charge for it but you can still take it with you on the plane, but in a gig bag, never just "on your back" that's insane haha. I would be terrified to leave my bass in a flight case as normal luggage, we've all seen how they treat those things

Why don't you just call your airline and ask them?

My experience (with Iberia and Lufthansa):
You can carry you guitar as long as your total baggage (your bag/suitcase + the guitar) does not exceed the weight restrictions.

I've never not been allowed to bring a guitar in a gigbag on the plane as hand luggage.

You should be fine with it stowed as regular baggage in a flight case. Make sure you bubble wrap the headstock in the case. Then gaffa the latches shut so they don't pop open. Just make sure it's a good case.

Yeah most airlines let you take instruments as an extra "handbag" for no charge, well good airlines do that. Cheap ones have a special charge for it but you can still take it with you on the plane, but in a gig bag, never just "on your back" that's insane haha. I would be terrified to leave my bass in a flight case as normal luggage, we've all seen how they treat those things

Be careful, choose well your words on this subject starting from now :heh:

:lol:

i usually take a crap acoustic guitar with me when traveling, without gigbag or anything, just giving it to the flight attendant always worked so far

if you ask them a few days beforehand they're prabably way more likely to say no than when you're about to attend the flight, but for an expensive guitar its not worth the risk to just try it

i usually take a crap acoustic guitar with me when traveling, without gigbag or anything, just giving it to the flight attendant always worked so far

if you ask them a few days beforehand they're prabably way more likely to say no than when you're about to attend the flight, but for an expensive guitar its not worth the risk to just try it

yea, your right.

it turns out i cant take the guitar because too much size/weight. so im just going to bring my interface,cable, a few picks, 80gb ipod(as storage for all my vst shit), i already got another laptop there to use, and ill just rent a guitar there

thanks guys! :kickass:

I've checked them and I have carried them on (gig bag).

Personally the gig bag thing made me more worried due to the fact that if it doesn't fit they make you check it last min.

SUCKS.

Oh and make sure the case is solid. My buddy had his all wacked out (not broken, just fucked up a little) when we arrived across the pond.

What guitar is it?
I've taken my guitars on board many a times .. always in a gig bag.. always carried it on board.. kept with the coat hangers... at worst case.. make a puppy face and the air hostess will offer to keep it an empty over head compartment in first class...