guys, i'm not feeling so hot today.

eh, i'm not so sure that producing guys like Camus and Sartre and de Saussure in the past makes me like those ethnic-cleansing, deGaullian scrubs nowadays.

i will give the french this: they have cool style and cool philosophy.

dude: the bitterness and hostility of the french people gave us a product which NONE can deny is a literary fucking master:

L.F. CELINE

Originally posted by deadair
and as far as philosophy... i'm more a Pascal guy

parrot.jpg

BRRAWWWWK! WIPE ME ALTHOUGH I AM CLEAN! BRRAWWWWK!

no, i think pascal is awesome. i actually cited the parrot pensee as my favourite one in honors class in college and the professor leapt around pointing at me in excitement, because everyone else picked boring SENSIBLE ones instead of mad deep parrot ones!

this buddhist philosopher dude who i had for a few classes (including "Philosophy of Tolkien") named Peter Kreeft wrote a book called Christianity for Modern Pagans where he went through the Pensees and wrote about each one, and I think it was really good.

EACH ONE... holy shit... that book must be huge...

have you ever read thomas mertin? he was a catholic monk in 40's, 50's... he left a lot of journals... VERY interesting stuff.

ironicly, he died by electrocution when he was in a hotel room... he was meeting with some 'book' people about his new stuff.

Actually, he did leave some out, so the book's not unworkably huge...

I've read Thomas Merton stuff before--he was big in the volunteer program I did after college. He is pretty cool.