Häive: Drudkh-esque metal for the coming Autumn nights

spaffe

Geisterglut
Feb 25, 2002
Sverige
www.skivsamling.nu
Northern Silence said:
Deeply rooted in the nature and traditions of their native homeland, mastermind Varjosielu has created a wonderful fusion of wistful and melancholic Folk with Finnish Black Metal, combining the classic Metal weaponry with folk instruments suchas a self-made 10-string Kantele or mouth-harp. The result is a perfect symbiosis of aforementioned styles which might appeal to fans of other Finnish acts such as October Falls or Tenhi, but can hardly be compared to any band in particular.

NSR:s description is pretty good, but should be complemented with the band which first came to mind as I heard this, namely Drudkh. The problem is that I'm not that fond of Drudkh, but Häive's music somehow feels like "Drudkh done right" -- if the resident fanboys will excuse such a statement.

Tenhi is also an obvious influence. Häive offers the same same melancholic sweeping musical arrangement, but only partly through the use of acoustic guitars, and even makes use of clear chanting/singing from time to time.
The folk elements are nicely incorporated into the music, not so much by means of archaic instruments, but in song structures and riffs.

There's also a good amount of Burzum to be found, but then again, what band that want's to play dark, slow and atmospheric black metal can avoid that influence?

MP3:s can be found at http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=25121 and if you only have time to listen to one song, I would recommend Metsä Koskematon. A wonderfully dark song, packing tons of atmosphere, mainly through the fantastic main riff. It is however a bit harsher than the material from the upcoming full length.

What's more, their album covers are real classy:

haive_cd_big.jpg

kansi2kaksi.jpg

Absolutely an easy sign for northern silence. I think mikko mentioned them awhile back, thats when i first got into them. The song you mentioned is probably my favorite by the band. Another good song to check out would be 'Tuonen lehto, Öinen lehto'

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm liking the samples a lot. They've also been part of a split with Wyrd and Kähre.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm liking the samples a lot. They've also been part of a split with Wyrd and Kähre.

Yeah I was looking at that disc over at the NSR homepage and I really need to get it since that's where the awesome Metsä Koskematon song is.

Dunno about the other bands sharing the CD with them. Wyrd I don't like at all and the other one I haven't heard

Will do. The Haive full length is due in a few weeks. It looks like I will have to obtain this stuff through wholesale so it may or may not happen depending on their rates. I'm not going to pay $16 each per title and have to sell them for $87 to make it worth it. Thanks again, Mr. Dollar!!! Our economy makes me happy. :erk:

Will do. The Haive full length is due in a few weeks. It looks like I will have to obtain this stuff through wholesale so it may or may not happen depending on their rates. I'm not going to pay $16 each per title and have to sell them for $87 to make it worth it. Thanks again, Mr. Dollar!!! Our economy makes me happy. :erk:

that blows penis