DRUDKH - Autumn Aurora

Minimalism wins again! I got tired of Absu really fast, but Autumn Aurora is one I'll keep coming back to, I think. My version has a different cover and Fading / Summoning the Rain are one track. Psh.

I didn't think for a second that the drums were programmed, but what do you guys think about them being triggered? A lot of the cymbal hits sound EXACTLY the same, or I just have a bad ear. 99% sure it's the bad ear.

As a side note, I was talking about Forgotten Legends with my drummer last night and I brought up the topic "Some people think the drums are triggered" and he said basically "Uh... no. Never."

I was going to say something, but I didn't know if I was right.. but now that I think about it- how the hell could you trigger a cymbal.

I've come to the firm conclusion that Drudkh = real drums.

The only way I can think of would be an electronic drum kit, but that's just a trigger in and of itself, not a trigger dependent on an actual instrument.

Actually what makes me think the drums on AA are real is the ride cymbal. Every hit seems to have a unique timbre.

One Inch Man said:
The only way I can think of would be an electronic drum kit, but that's just a trigger in and of itself, not a trigger dependent on an actual instrument.

Actually what makes me think the drums on AA are real is the ride cymbal. Every hit seems to have a unique timbre.

Right on... thats how I can usually tell 100% if drums are real... you cannot replicate a real cymbal sound no matter how excellent your equipment. I am, however, getting an electric drumset this december- and I'm interested in seeing how perfect I can get the sounds with my mixer and etc.

I dig electronic drum kits, you get all the features of a drum machine but still retaining most (if not all) of the feel of an actual player.

V-Drums.jpg

I'd love to pick one of these up in a few years.

One Inch Man said:
DRUDKH - Autumn Aurora (2004)
Supernal Music

16938DRUDKH.gif

1. Fading
2. Summoning the Rain
3. Glare of Autumn
4. Sunwheel
5. Wind of the Night Forests
6. The First Snow

Every so often the beauty of art comes full circle.

The enigma that is DRUDKH ("Recorded Winter '03, Ukraine" by who? what? why? how? Internet searches provide some results, but not many) have created a distinctly black metal piece with Autumn Aurora: fast drums, screaming vocals, and layers of guitars. Yet everything has a great harmonic balance and is utterly beautiful at the same time. The dichotomy here is so perfect that one may have a hard time hearing one side or the other, as everything comes together in a completely marvelous whole. The most obvious example is the guitar solo in "Sunwheel," as it has massive sheets of distortion, pummeling double bass, and a fast moving guitar solo, but it's just so pretty that the harshness is well overshadowed.

The incredibly organic sound achieved here is mostly due to the keyboards and production (not pristine, yet hardly dirty either), but every element plays a role in sounding exactly as the album cover pictures. Within its own circles, black metal is generally synonymous with the forest but with Autumn Aurora the mystique is fully visualized. I was truly enthralled with this album driving down the mountain in the fog from a camping trip several months ago, the music could have been coming from the trees themselves best I could tell. This level of synchronization with nature is rarely achieved in music, regardless of how many groups may try.

A high watermark for black metal, metal, music, and perhaps even art in general, this is an extraordinary accomplishment that should not be missed by anyone. I cannot quite give this a perfect score yet, but in the coming months and years, it certainly has a chance. My only genuine complaint is that it is too short! There should be another track filling the gap between "Wind of the Night Forests" and "The First Snow," as the album closes too quickly. Then again, so does autumn.

9/10
NAD
Nad listens to Yellow Metal too

haha, what's up dude. You should check them shits out, I'll bring it by later this week.