H&H to continue with Ripper???

I really sort of doubt they would keep the Heaven and Hell name as Jason said. It wouldn't make much sense. I'd guess they'll call it Sabbath again. Possibly another name, but I doubt it if they got someone new.

Tony Martin is a pipe dream. He wouldn't do it. He's still bitter about being kicked out for Dehumanizer, and then being brought back for Forbidden, which wasn't a happy time for Sabbath, as you can tell from how shitty that record was.

Forbidden was one of the first records that I purchased with my own money as a teen. I wore the tape out. While I agree that it wasn't as epic as the earlier TM albums, it has special meaning for me. If a Christmas miracle occurs and Sabbath reunite with Tony, I would love to hear some tracks off the record played live.

A thought regarding the possibility of Ripper with Sabbath: When Rob Halford sang with Sabbath at the Ozzfest in 2004, it was totally awesome. Since Ripper sounds a lot like Rob, this may be a really good thing.

As much as I like Tony Martin (Cross Purposes may be one of Sabbath's finest discs ever), nobody (outside of us,his fans) would care if he were in Heaven and Hell. Somebody had it right earlier....H+H was primarily for Dio to be in Sabbath without using the true name. If Iommi and Butler continue with a different singer, they might as well use a different name.
As far as Ripper with them? I don't know....I'd love to hear Jorn with them, or someone like Russell Allen....someone with a slightly deeper voice and more mature(?) sound ....works better for doom. What's Messiah Marcolin doing nowadays?

Much like MANY here have already said.... if Tony Martin still has the pipes, HE should be the H&H vocalist. It may be blasphemous to some, but when you look at all of the great singers Sabbath had like Dio, Hughes, Gillen, and Gillan, I think Martin was the best. Due to Ronnie's body of work, I prefer him as an artist, but I think Tony has the best voice of all the Sabbath singers and one of the best EVER in metal.
Would Ripper sound good in H&H ? Maybe..... Would he fit their style ? Probably not. Would Tony Martin fit their style ? Who knows ? How much of their style was Ronnie anyway ? Who knows ?

Bryant

Bryant

Somebody had it right earlier....H+H was primarily for Dio to be in Sabbath without using the true name. If Iommi and Butler continue with a different singer, they might as well use a different name.

Agreed. How about, "Cross Purposes" for a name if Martin and Iommi hook up again? I don't think Butler or Appice played on any of the Martin-era Sabbath, and don't know if they would want to be part of a Iommi/Martin reunion.

Regardless, Iommi needs to pick up the tempo in his songs for them to be of any real interest to me. His slow-as-molasses brand of plodding doom (and Dio probably made it even slower) can't get much more boring.

Urban Breed would be another good fit, IMO.

I was waiting for someone to make that comment. Every single time some band looses their singer, there's at least one person from this board that suggests UB. Come on guys and gals - put that tongue back in your mouth and stop kissing his ass - just because he reads this board doesn't mean he should be in every band there is.

I was waiting for someone to make that comment. Every single time some band looses their singer, there's at least one person from this board that suggests UB. Come on guys and gals - put that tongue back in your mouth and stop kissing his ass - just because he reads this board doesn't mean he should be in every band there is.

This. Many times this.

(and I don't think he's a bad singer)

Agreed. How about, "Cross Purposes" for a name if Martin and Iommi hook up again? I don't think Butler or Appice played on any of the Martin-era Sabbath, and don't know if they would want to be part of a Iommi/Martin reunion.

Regardless, Iommi needs to pick up the tempo in his songs for them to be of any real interest to me. His slow-as-molasses brand of plodding doom (and Dio probably made it even slower) can't get much more boring.

Geezer played on Cross Purposes....I saw them live on this tour, and Geezer shook the place with his bass sound; I think he came close to achieving the "brown sound"!
One big drawback to Tony Martin singing for H+H....he's really not very strong live. At the concert I attended, he had to sing everything different from how his songs were done in studio...he just couldn't hit any of the notes. I've seen video of other concerts of his, and it's pretty much the same deal. I love his studio stuff, though.....terrific sounding voice.

I think the biggest piece to the whole puzzle is songwriting. RJD wrote some enigmatic lyrics. There are 100 guys that could probably replace him vocally, but not lyrically.
I think you're more likely to see Black Sabbath reunite before H&H do anything else.

Martin fronted Sabbath greatly expands the catalog of what the band would perform live, as opposed to H&H.

The reality though is I am sure there will be another go round with Ozzy.

My first thoughts on reading this were ponderings of which classic Dio-era sabs material Oz would do on-stage. "Voodoo" could work. "After All"? "Falling Off the Edge of the World"?

There isn't much that could work, and even less that I'd *want* to hear Ozzy try to sing.

If Black Sabbath (i.e. Iommi-Butler) continues to tour, would you want them to work in material from all eras into their set? And if not, where do they draw the line?

Deep Purple provides an interesting parallel. "Hush" is the only DP-MkI song they've done on tour since 1975; the various Gillan-fronted reunions have completely avoided the Coverdale stuff, while Joe Lynn Turner did do "Burn" and one or two other Coverdale songs if my memory serves.

So is it that Ozzy (resp. Gillan), being the iconic vocalist for Sabs (resp. DP), doesn't have to sing anyone else's material? While Dio/Martin [resp. Coverdale/Turner] is expected to perform the hits from other incarnations of the band?

(I'm sure I'll hear Ozzy's version of "Lonely Is the Word" in my sleep tonight.)

My first thoughts on reading this were ponderings of which classic Dio-era sabs material Oz would do on-stage. "Voodoo" could work. "After All"? "Falling Off the Edge of the World"?

There isn't much that could work, and even less that I'd *want* to hear Ozzy try to sing.

Haha, yeah....you won't hear Ozzy singing any Dio-era tunes. Ever.

So is it that Ozzy (resp. Gillan), being the iconic vocalist for Sabs (resp. DP), doesn't have to sing anyone else's material? While Dio/Martin [resp. Coverdale/Turner] is expected to perform the hits from other incarnations of the band?

I think that this is exactly what happens. I believe that when the singer is the "Icon" then he (or she in some cases) gets a big say in what is played. Also, I think it is assumed that if the fans are going to see the band fronted by the iconic singer, they will want to hear songs that were originally sang by him/her.

As far as I know Deep Purple with Gillan only played "Hush" live after they re-recorded a studio version with him on vocals.

I think singers are expected to perform the "classic" songs the band is best known for. With Ozzy, there is enough classic Sabbath material to fill more than a set, without dipping into the pool of material created with other vocalists. I also believe that in Ozzy's case, there's a talent level issue. While I think Ozzy is a good enough guy, with a sturdy enough ego to perform a Dio song, I just don't think he can do it justice.

I think singers are expected to perform the "classic" songs the band is best known for.

And yet we'll never hear Ozzy croon "Sing me a song, you're a singer", the opening of a tune easily in the top 4 classic songs from Black Sabbath.

It isn't *just* performing the classics of a band. Somehow the history (ego) of the (current) singer is central too.

So, who fronts the next Iommi-Butler tour? Do we get a set of 70s era Sabs, or a more diverse repertoire? And if the latter, who can play that role?

Except it's not. It's the exact same thing, except "I don't enjoy his particular style of signing" is the PC nice way of saying "I think he sucks" (which is what I said). It's all my opinion. Don't like it? Fine, we can agree to disagree and then give each other body massages.

Some of the stuff you come up with.:guh: