Hackintosh

Yeah, and in reality, what's the problem with downloading Cubase and Waves Mercury Bundle from TPB and using them? :) Of course the difference is you have actually paid for OS X (what, thirty bucks?), but that still doesn't change the fact that the license agreement, which the end-user accepts on installation, prohibits the installation of the OS on a non-Apple computer. Simple as that.

The fact that it is possible, and actually pretty damn easy to install OS X on a PC nowadays, doesn't mean it's any more allowed.

But it makes it a little more morally acceptable. :saint:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple
Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
computers at the same time.
B. Family Pack License. If you have purchased a Family Pack license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited nonexclusive
license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those
computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the
same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that
household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.
C. Leopard Upgrade Licenses. If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are
granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer
has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. If you have purchased a Family Pack Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject
to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a
maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household (as defined above), are used by persons
who occupy that same household, and each such computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. The Family Pack Upgrade for
Mac OS X Leopard License does not extend to business or commercial users.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple
Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
computers at the same time.
B. Family Pack License. If you have purchased a Family Pack license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited nonexclusive
license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those
computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the
same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that
household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.
C. Leopard Upgrade Licenses. If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are
granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer
has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. If you have purchased a Family Pack Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject
to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a
maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household (as defined above), are used by persons
who occupy that same household, and each such computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. The Family Pack Upgrade for
Mac OS X Leopard License does not extend to business or commercial users.

I guess it comes down to the exact definition of branded in the context. I'm pretty certain that if apple chose to take someone to court over it they'd win, but it's a grey enough area not to worry me as far as what i do is concerned

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned the legality issues here. The license agreement clearly says you're only allowed to install OS X on Apple hardware. If you're gonna use it just for your own stuff and not aiming to get any financial profit with the computer, then it's all the same to me, but if you're publically offering your services, I'd advise you to stay legit :)

the EULA states that it can only be installed on "Apple labled" hardware,
but then again, as i said, the OS X EULA will not stand up in a European court of law, as it violates fair-use policies that are designed to protect the consumer.
also, the fact that the consumer cannot read the agreement without opening the box, and apple says the act of opening the box means the consumer agrees to the contract that they cannot have read, is thoroughly illegal.

also, with newer installation methods, none of the Apple code is hacked or modified in any way.

Apple has been skating on thin legal ice for a while now on this front, especially since the move to Intel processors means that there is no difference between an Apple machine and a PC.

Legally, at worst, installing OS X on non-Apple hardware is a breach of contract, which is in no way the same as a breach of criminal law.
people break contracts all the time, it is neither a sin nor a crime.

i reckon the like s of Psystar and PearC are in big trouble, but the same cannot be said for individuals who install OS X but do not sell the machine.

here is an interesting part of the Legal Code in the US:

§ 117. Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs

(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy.— Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or

seems to state pretty much that you can install your purchased software on whatever hardware you want.

(reference: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000117----000-.html )

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530, just over a year old.
it works well but took a lot of work to get it running smoothly,

frankly, i'd hesitate to fully recommend it.

Cheers dude! I'd also be kinda worried considering Apple are now taking efforts to stop Hackintosh machines (they recently killed certain Netbooks).
That makes me hesitant to put together a Hackintosh!

Cheers dude! I'd also be kinda worried considering Apple are now taking efforts to stop Hackintosh machines (they recently killed certain Netbooks).
That makes me hesitant to put together a Hackintosh!

i wouldn't be concerned about that apparent "netbook" thing,
they only removed support for the Intel Atom processor, one which they don't use in their own machines and have no reason to support.

stick with processors that they actually do use, and build away.

Apple don't care about guys building iHacks at home,
the continued existence of sites like insanelymac.com and osx86-project.org, after almost 5 years proves that. :)
however, they don't like people selling un-authorized mac clones (psystar, pearc)

it seems to generate more sales in the long run for apple anyway,
though perhaps the Atom processor support was removed in anticipation of the release of their own netbook/tablet.

even so, there are patched kernals available that add back in support for the Atom processor.

and as has been pointed out, none of this is a breach of law anyway.

don't worry about it :)

I wish Apple would do a cut-down Mac Pro... the biggest problem with the iMac is that you cannot easily add storage to it; my firewire bus is dedicated to my soundcard. I'm not gonna waste bandwidth on an external HDD.

I would buy a Mac if they did a cut-down Mac Pro. I like to have stuff customisable in the same way as a tower PC, but I don't want all the stuff they are putting into it.

EDIT: Ok, what I meant was a tower version of Mac that wasn't so feature heavy... But I suppose with new i7 and i5 processors they aren't gonna make anything with older (not COMPLETELY OUTDATED) components.

Just finished mine last night. I see myself purchasing a faster cpu and more ram in the future, after I pay it all off.

My only problem is the video card a geforce 9800gtx+. When everything gets loaded up, its fine. However, I cannot see the grey apple screen or any other start up screen and my monitor flashes on and off periodically in bios... I think its a problem to do with the video card, and not inside osx. Like, It seems like the resolution the video card is pumping out is too high until in loads osx, then it goes back to normal.