Hackintosh

Yah, that is what I am going to do. But, a lot of features in logic look amazing. Much more than what reaper can do. (Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love reaper, but it lacks in quantization/elastic audio.) Not that it's the only reason that would make me justify spending 500 dollars on logic, but logic just seems much more stable but like you said, the DI tones are lacking.

edit: thanks for the input, man. I really appreciate the advice.

Yah, that is what I am going to do. But, a lot of features in logic look amazing. Much more than what reaper can do. (Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love reaper, but it lacks in quantization/elastic audio.) Not that it's the only reason that would make me justify spending 500 dollars on logic, but logic just seems much more stable but like you said, the DI tones are lacking.

edit: thanks for the input, man. I really appreciate the advice.

Logic is pretty win, though it is a matter of taste of course, some people really don't get along well with it. :)

i actually moved away from Reaper to Logic about a year ago, and i found it to be a huge improvement overall, and much more productive.

when considering the cost of Logic Studio, take into account the huge collection of high quality plugins that are included, and the various VIs.

consider the amount of money that you would be sending to equal that kind of functionality with Reaper,

I think I'll end up going for an iMac altogether!
If I bought a rig from PearC, there's nothing to say that they'll end up just like Psystar and then I'd be minus support. Also, Apple have managed to kill certain Hackintosh Netbooks, and I'd wanna be able to keep the Mac up to date. I love my Macbook but I know it wouldn't be able to handle my Pro-Tools sessions and the plugins I wanna use.
The iMac supports a secondary display, correct?
As I said, I wanna primarily use Metric Halo Channel Strip, so an iMac with 8GB of RAM and a FireWire audio drive seems to be the safest option.

why an iMac? Aren't those pretty limited?

Yes, they're limited to a certain extent but you can still upgrade the RAM and hard disk if required. I've done this with my Macbook and had no problems!
I'd simply get an iMac with 8GB of RAM, a good processor, a 1TB hard drive and an external FireWire audio drive. Most importantly (for me) would also be an Apple Care Protection Plan. Yes, I work in IT - but the last thing I want is to fart about with hardware issues when something goes wrong. I'd rather make music! A Mac Pro is just way outta my budget and I can get an iMac with the same specs for what I want for much cheaper! Makes sense to me anyways...

Psystar and PearC go against the entire ethos of a hackintosh, and have needlessly brought attention to the whole scene. Many people who don't know what the fuck they're doing blurt out the word, without any appreciation for how much work it can be. In the early days it was much harder than it is now.

Anyway; yeah... go with the iMac if you don't know what you're doing.

I wish Apple would do a cut-down Mac Pro... the biggest problem with the iMac is that you cannot easily add storage to it; my firewire bus is dedicated to my soundcard. I'm not gonna waste bandwidth on an external HDD.

Psystar and PearC go against the entire ethos of a hackintosh, and have needlessly brought attention to the whole scene. Many people who don't know what the fuck they're doing blurt out the word, without any appreciation for how much work it can be. In the early days it was much harder than it is now.

Anyway; yeah... go with the iMac if you don't know what you're doing.

I wish Apple would do a cut-down Mac Pro... the biggest problem with the iMac is that you cannot easily add storage to it; my firewire bus is dedicated to my soundcard. I'm not gonna waste bandwidth on an external HDD.

I never said I didn't know what I was doing, I'd just rather have longterm hardware support over the entire rig and not just the individual components. For example, my last custom built PC started experiencing hardware issues and I found it difficult to diagnose. It turned out to be the motherboard which meant I'd to gut the machine and return the board to the manufacturer for a replacement! I'd rather spend my time doing other things. With Apple, if they can't fix it over the phone, they'll have a courier pick it up from your doorstep and return it once fixed.
You can daisychain FireWire devices or just use USB, no biggie.
But yeah, I do wish that Mac Pros weren't so expensive!

Daisychaining devices is a big no-no if you want to record or playback large amounts of audio. Trust.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 - 64bit, on my PC. I also have a Leopard backup partition on a separate drive; for maintenance. I really like OSX and Logic; but couldn't afford a Mac Pro, and couldn't stomach an iMac. My next purchase will be an i7 based PC, and it will be running SL.

Mainly storage, yeah. I've had problems with USB2.0 disks and large sample-based instruments. USB2.0 in my experience just isn't stable enough for running sample based instruments.

Mainly storage, yeah. I've had problems with USB2.0 disks and large sample-based instruments. USB2.0 in my experience just isn't stable enough for running sample based instruments.

With a 1TB internal system drive, I've no problem installing plugins on that and using the external drive exclusively for audio recording.
I currently have Superior 2.0 installed to an external USB 2.0 hard disk and once the samples are loaded into RAM, I experience no problems.

How long does it take to load into RAM?

Depends on the kit size but usually around a minute or so from what I can remember! Been a while since I used MIDI drums. I've Reason installed to the external drive too and it works perfectly, so knowing all of this, I should have more than enough space with a 1TB system drive in an iMac, especially if my Pro-Tools sessions are gonna be stored externally!

Hmm. See.. I use a Western Digital Caviar Black 7200rpm drive for all my BFD2 kitpieces and Superior content; and it takes me about 30 seconds to load in a 600mb kit. My ram hit isn't that severe either, because I mostly stream from disk - which I tend to prefer.

I guess if I were to load it all into RAM, then the disk speed wouldn't really matter. Different strokes, different folks.

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned the legality issues here. The license agreement clearly says you're only allowed to install OS X on Apple hardware. If you're gonna use it just for your own stuff and not aiming to get any financial profit with the computer, then it's all the same to me, but if you're publically offering your services, I'd advise you to stay legit :)

Legally, you're probably right. But in reality.. if you buy a copy of OSX... then what is the problem with installing it on non-apple hardware?

The reason they do that of course, is because Apple make ALL of their money through hardware. If they made ANY money on the OS, it wouldn't be so cheap.

Legally, you're probably right. But in reality.. if you buy a copy of OSX... then what is the problem with installing it on non-apple hardware?

The reason they do that of course, is because Apple make ALL of their money through hardware. If they made ANY money on the OS, it wouldn't be so cheap.

Yeah, and in reality, what's the problem with downloading Cubase and Waves Mercury Bundle from TPB and using them? :) Of course the difference is you have actually paid for OS X (what, thirty bucks?), but that still doesn't change the fact that the license agreement, which the end-user accepts on installation, prohibits the installation of the OS on a non-Apple computer. Simple as that.

The fact that it is possible, and actually pretty damn easy to install OS X on a PC nowadays, doesn't mean it's any more allowed.