circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Haemoth – Kontamination
Southern Lord Recordings – SUL 47.5 – November 29th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

haemothcover.jpg

Like all black metal bands in existence, Haemoth have been birthing splits and demos for years, and their full-lengths have been limited releases. For instance, the presses only rolled out 500 kopies of Satanick Terrorism, 1000 of Vice, Suffering and Destruction, and 2000 of this MCD. Kontamination is komprised of six new songs, three previously unreleased demo tracks, and klocks in at forty-five minutes. Though all French BM may be overshadowed by the mighty Deathspell Omega and the indomitable Blut Aus Nord, there are several mobs worthy of the spotlight, and this duo is surely one of them.

Haemoth (Spektr, Demonium), ahem, is the driving force behind this two-piece. At times I’m komfortable komparing these guys to Gorgoroth, and they would klosely resemble each other if the latter were more vicious, arousing, entertaining, and less mainstream. But if you’re one of those people who demands high quality production, then I’d suggest checking your qualms at the door, or not even bothering with Haemoth cause the production sucks. All instrumentation swirls in one dissonant pot, but the inspiration is unmistakable and easily identifiable. “Famished,” while it mostly adheres to the same tempo throughout its miserable life, kontains admirable transitions as Syht moves from simple drumming to a more intricate, double-bass onslaught. The song – though repetitious to a certain degree – works. After the introduction known as “Soiled” departs, “When the Blood Turns Black” komes on full-speed ahead with dissonance aplomb. Similar to a few of their minions, Haemoth occasionally inject riffs that’ll grab you, and immediately tighten their grip. The 1:55 minute mark of “When the Blood Turns Black” is a prime example of this phenomenon. The things that don’t prove successful, however, are the ambient interludes. Everyone sort of expects an introduction of that nature, but when Kontamination features atmospheric effects at the beginning of songs – or when they’re sandwiched between black metal offensives – I found myself skipping them. The demos aren’t that different, in any case, although they’re easier on the ears because the recordings sound muffled and subdued. Haemoth keeps the vocals more low-key on the demos, too.

Since Haemoth are worthy of glorification – you decide how much in the end – I’m kurious about Spektr and Demonium. Kontamination, though raw in a number of ways, is definitely worth hunting down if you’re into French black metal that is distinguishable from the pack. The ambient sections don’t exactly fit in with the sadistic BM, but that’s a minor issue when one ponders upon what kould’ve gone wrong. Either way, give this a go. K?

8/10

Official Southern Lord Recordings Website