The J. and Nate thread . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
In this thread J. and I will discuss good black metal.

:lol:

I love how new threads about black metal pop up every week or two. The old ones J. and I were using were getting kind of big. We need a new one.

Haemoth

Have you heard them J.? Brutal stuff. Sort of like Demoncy, but from France and a less death metal influence. I like 'Kontamination'. It is fairly easy to find. I also got 'Vice, Suffering, and Destruction' from Deathgasm.

Krieg - Blue Miasma

New one from these dudes. VERY good. I know some of you have heard the older stuff, but this new one is solid. Great song writing, less emphasis on extreme brutality. In fact, the brutality is barely there . . . just great black metal.

Wolfe

Slower paced and atmospheric black metal. Still forming an opinion on them.

Merrimack - Of Entrophy and Life Denial

GET THIS NOW J.!!! Best BM of the year. Traditional BM stylings, but modern sounding nonetheless. Sort of like Watain, but a little more modern, I guess.

Nate The Great said:
Merrimack - Of Entrophy and Life Denial

GET THIS NOW J.!!! Best BM of the year. Traditional BM stylings, but modern sounding nonetheless. Sort of like Watain, but a little more modern, I guess.

I've never heard Watain.

And you start this just as I'm exploring the Neurot family of releases. :p

Merrimack's new album is absolutely merciless, best brutal black metal I heard in a while, definitely stronger than Antaeus on a songwriting/atmosphere level, too. I will end up buying it for sure.

I'll need to look at Haemoth. Sounds like a cool something.

here's some ive been playing:

Profanum
Satanic rites in music form. Very dark. Not black metal per se, since no guitars are to be found. Black metal vocals and pianos, etc. Evil.

Kristallnacht
Elite Cult French black metal.

Helheim
The new one is really good. Thrashy death metal type riffage black metal. I even dig on Yersinia Pestis.

The new merrimack is pretty good, but it doesn't have anythign that makes me want to have repeat listens. I enjoyed the two listens, but I don't really want to go listen to it again, over and over.

Mainly saying that there is nothing where I'm like hey, I really want to listen to this album again. It's more like, hey I've heard it, and that's all that I need.

dill_the_devil said:
Nate, I'm fucking loving that Merrimack sample song you posted. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that you and I have nearly identical taste in music.

Cool. Maybe I'll be able to turn you on to William Elliott Whitmore next. I'll post a sample when I get the new album in a week or so.

I have the involuntary reaction to country music that it is all associated with Git-R-Done, so I don't think that I could get into country even if I tried my damnedest.