Handling BIG mixes

that's because in OSX you get the 32 bit and 64 bit architecture, if the app supports it. right click the cubase app, click "get info" and make sure "open in 32 bit mode" is not checked

...where?

c5.png

I just read this on Steinberg's forums:

in order to use Cubase 64bit on the Mac you have to upgrade to Cubase 6 (as the Mac version of Cubase 5 is not 64bit) and run it on Mac OS 10.6 (it might theoretically work on 10.5 also but is not supported).

So you need OSX Lion + Cubase 6 in order to use 64bit

I've got in the habit of passing through stages by saving the session to a new coded name after each one of them.
So -1 is recording only
I then edit every track and save to -2
Choose synth sounds, drum sounds and print and save to -3. I keep the midi files muted under a folder I close in my session, to save visual space and CPU power, with reaper its very easy. So later on if Im really really not happy anymore with a synth or drum sound I open the folder again, change something, print again, and replace the old version, and mute and hide again the midi files and their vstis.

By then I only have wav files and there is no vsti eating up my CPU.

Mix would be -4

I've got in the habit of passing through stages by saving the session to a new coded name after each one of them.
So -1 is recording only
I then edit every track and save to -2
Choose synth sounds, drum sounds and print and save to -3. I keep the midi files muted under a folder I close in my session, to save visual space and CPU power, with reaper its very easy. So later on if Im really really not happy anymore with a synth or drum sound I open the folder again, change something, print again, and replace the old version, and mute and hide again the midi files and their vstis.

By then I only have wav files and there is no vsti eating up my CPU.

Mix would be -4

I like this...bit of a detailed version of Ermz's method.

yeah I'm pretty sure many people do something similar with their specific code. I haven't settled yet for a specific code myself (haven't used it on too many projects) but I always make it easy like adding "RECORD" "EDIT" "MIX" "MASTER" to the project name, and it also forces you to save at each step your project. If ever a catastraupha would occur (like deleting a wav file from your harddisk for some reason), you could always open one of the previous ones to find it again.

I've taken every measure I can think of to remedy the dilemma: played with buffer settings, shut off wireless card, turned off antivirus, freezing tracks...mind you, I probably am going overboard with the heavy plug-ins (lots of synth layers; even on that level, i'll put any instance of Massive into "eco"mode). What do you think is within reason (ignore pun, i'm using reaper) for indulging in plugins? For some scope, I've got 4 guitar tracks each with POD farm, cab impulse/EQ buss, about 3 synths (which haven't been printed), Battery, light EQ and comps on pretty much everything, trigger VSTs on 6 drum tracks...is this blatantly overboard?

POD Farm/Cab Impulses/Trigger VSTs <--- All that VSTs eats alot of CPU power, you should print them 1st...

Yeah, like Ermz said, drum samples, midi synths, and guitar sounds should be printed before you start mixing. Not only does it save CPU power, but it makes the mixing process go a lot easier, because you just have all the audio tracks in front of you, instead of midi tracks that can be changed or manipulated IN ADDITION to post processing.

Oh, and also, not to hijack the thread, but how are you guys getting up to 35 tracks or more? My sessions (not an experienced AE, though) are usually 9 or 10 drum tracks, 2 or 3 bass tracks, 2 or 4 distorted rhythm guitar tracks, and up to 2 lead guitar tracks. Most vocal tracks I've had to use are about 8, although usually I use around 4. That's 27, and that's the absolute max that I've used. What other tracks do you guys have?

synths, strings, ambient noise tracks, busses, fx busses, parallel tracks, etc. I've never had over 100 tracks in a session, but it's gotten close a few times.

Question for Cubase 5 users.... what is the best way to "print" a track that have various plugins?

Is there some sort of quick short cut to print a track quickly?

Question for Cubase 5 users.... what is the best way to "print" a track that have various plugins?

Is there some sort of quick short cut to print a track quickly?

Click on the freeze icon on the inspector window. Looks like a snow flake. You won't be able to edit after though. Or export the channel and click on import to project after using export mix.

Yep, actually it's one of the best DAWs for that matter.

Semi-on topic, I usually handle about 60 but I don't use many FX or synths. They're a lot more when tracking and I hope I can reduce that number in the future. I guess so many sends, busses... end up making the whole picture fuller but muddier and lacking of detail. Hard to get rid of that to me.

The only thing I print is synth tracks, I don't believe that sample replecement plugins take a big toll od cpu power

Anyway, the struggle with limited cpu power has just led me to a form of discipline where I just don't throw plug-ins around carelessly. Lately I use only a single channelstrip on each track, and when it comes to bass or vocals I just add some additional compression.

Yeah, like Ermz said, drum samples, midi synths, and guitar sounds should be printed before you start mixing. Not only does it save CPU power, but it makes the mixing process go a lot easier, because you just have all the audio tracks in front of you, instead of midi tracks that can be changed or manipulated IN ADDITION to post processing.

Oh, and also, not to hijack the thread, but how are you guys getting up to 35 tracks or more? My sessions (not an experienced AE, though) are usually 9 or 10 drum tracks, 2 or 3 bass tracks, 2 or 4 distorted rhythm guitar tracks, and up to 2 lead guitar tracks. Most vocal tracks I've had to use are about 8, although usually I use around 4. That's 27, and that's the absolute max that I've used. What other tracks do you guys have?
Like said,
10 drum tracks, 3 bass tracks, 4 to 8 to even more distorted rythm tracks (like for example when you have complicated arrangements) when it's easier than just automating things. Then same for vocals, you might even have more than 2 lead tracks (for example in my EP I have some lead sounds that are not the same). Add on top of that clean guitars and maybe clean bass for the same parts if the normal bass tracks are heavily distorted. Then you add maybe a clic track if you wanna keep it somewhere, synths (can be a shitload), sounds, FX, drums parallel comp, reverb sends, same for delays or chorus or whatever. I didn't mention sample replacement of the snare, you might wanna keep 4 or 5 snare tracks although you can just render an augmented snare and commit to it.

Then if you consider the case where you're doing the whole production in a single session, and if the music is kinda complex, it's easy to go over 100 tracks !

Like said,
Then if you consider the case where you're doing the whole production in a single session, and if the music is kinda complex, it's easy to go over 100 tracks !
Like a whole album in one session? What would the advantage be of doing all the songs on an album in one session as opposed to multiple sessions?

When you want to maintain balance and tonal colors throughout the whole album, in order to make all songs sound similar to each other. Personally, I don't like that approach, seems kinda cluttered to me.

I usually take a couple of days to mix one song, and then I export the song as a template, and mix the rest of the album using that. Makes everything go a lot quicker, because all of the starting blocks of the sound are in place already.

I run a 'printing session' and print processing chains on all the major CPU hogs. Bass guitar, vocals, drums etc. all get 80 to 90% of their sound printed then and there. Then in the mix I just use an instance of equality, and maybe a compressor to tweak them into their final place.

I follow a similar method, especially since moving to Nuendo for mixing. I have a lot of standard plugin sets that rarely change for certain situations, so printing them ahead of time allows me to have a few advantages:

1-My "mixer" is greatly simplified. By the time All the processing is done, I go from 60-80 mixer faders, to about 16-20. How I do this is by for example, printing all the real kick and sample kick tracks together so instead of 3-8 tracks, I have 1.

2-It stops me from over tweaking things that don't need to be tweaked. Things like vocals (for me) rarely get tweaked. Like Ermz, I usually have an eq and maybe a comp for final touches, but the overall sound is already crafted.

3-It allows me to focus on being creative. Automation and FX are where I love to spend a lot of time, not making things fit. The faster I can get there the better.

The only area where I don't print as much any more is my snare and toms samples. Since switching to Nuendo, being able to run BFD/Superior live with no latency and full outputs has made tweaking sounds a lot better then in PT. I'm working on a mix right now with a lot of snare work and ghosting. I edit the midi track to be perfect, then I can change the snare sound a few times during mixing. Samples is the only area I'm never sure of till the mix has moved along a bit.