hard drive advice

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
I have a 10-gig hard drive which is full to bursting, mostly with mp3s and such, but a fair amount of programs, too.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is coming out in a couple of weeks, and requires 5gig free, so i said "fuck it" and bought a lovely 160-gig hard drive ($89 at Best Buy).

how should i work this? should i move all my mp3s and storage stuff to the 160-gigger and always use the 10-gig for programs? or install all my software on the 160-gigger and just archive the mp3s i REALLY want to have backed up on the 10-gigger? that wuold such sorting through 10 gigs of mp3s, but oh well.

160GB is a lot, I think you could easily move your mp3's and use the 10 as the core drive with essential stuff and still install progs onto the new drive.

buy a usb 2.0 external hard drive case, it should only run you about $20, then you can buy as many hard drives as you want, and your extras can sit safely stored in an anti-static bag.

Alex: Yes definitely to your last suggestion. It's never a good idea to have Windows sitting on a full hard drive. I say keep at least a couple gigs free on your C:, especially now that you've got space to spare.

xfer said:
i just spent the last two weeks being strenuously advised not to buy an external hard drive, for my purposes.
i just like having two 120GB hard drives filled with mp3s and films that i can take wherever i may roam, you're call though.

avi said:
I just installed the 160gb drive I bought in Oregon for $70 w/no sales tax
the finest moment of my life was buying a cinnamon elephant ear in oregon for exactly 99 cents, when the cashier gave me back that penny, i felt, complete.

xfer said:
I have a 10-gig hard drive which is full to bursting, mostly with mp3s and such, but a fair amount of programs, too.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is coming out in a couple of weeks, and requires 5gig free, so i said "fuck it" and bought a lovely 160-gig hard drive ($89 at Best Buy).

how should i work this? should i move all my mp3s and storage stuff to the 160-gigger and always use the 10-gig for programs? or install all my software on the 160-gigger and just archive the mp3s i REALLY want to have backed up on the 10-gigger? that wuold such sorting through 10 gigs of mp3s, but oh well.
Partition the 160gb into, oh, a 25gb and a 135gb. Use your C: drive (the 10gb) for your windows directory and basic programs. Use the 25gb partition for big programs and games. Use the 135 for your storage needs and backup.