Hardcore/post-hardcore style mix. Need criticism!

hosnappp

Feb 7, 2011
http://www.box.net/shared/d4k7y90k6s

I don't have a soundcloud, sorry folks.

I need help, badly. I'm not by any means satisfied with this and this is my first professional mix. I don't know what I'm really looking for. I guess a bigger sound and if you guys notice anything particularly wrong with it, please mention it :p

DAW: Cubase 5
Amp Sim: Amplitube w/ impulses

I feel like the guitars are a little thin and the bass isn't really showing up as much as I'd like. I've listened to it with laptop speakers, headphones, car stereo, HDTV, 2.1 sound, 5.1 surround sound and it definitely sounds worst through the TV.
Best through the 5.1/2.1.

I'm not sure about the vocals around mid-way into the song. They sound a little cluttered.

Guitars are such a PAIN to EQ and I'm probably going to end up making a side-chain compression setup for the kick because it clips but this is just to get your thoughts. I love these forums, I've learned a lot. It's all I do before I mix, is just read and read and read. They're looking for a sound similar to Asking Alexandria/Scarlett O'Hara.

Be as harsh as you need to be. I want to learn how to make this mix sound wide, epic, huge and balanced.

Thanks a ton. I hope that by being on these forums as often as I have been, I can learn to be a really great producer over time.

<3

I have a few collections of Waves plugins. A lot of power at my disposal but frankly, not a lot of ideas as to how to take full advantage of it.

Also, if there's any tips as to how to make a terrible singer sound good, that'd be great. You guys wouldn't believe this guy.

Dude in terms of the guitars I had the hardest time finding a decent tone that complimented a mix using Amplitube 3 + Impulses. I tried for days since it was the only thing I had and eventually gave up and found LePou's plugins which helped my mix a lot. I just never felt like I could fully get away from the "tin" sound with it.

What are you using for drums? you shouldn't have to use compression to get rid of clipping..

Dude in terms of the guitars I had the hardest time finding a decent tone that complimented a mix using Amplitube 3 + Impulses. I tried for days since it was the only thing I had and eventually gave up and found LePou's plugins which helped my mix a lot. I just never felt like I could fully get away from the "tin" sound with it.

What are you using for drums? you shouldn't have to use compression to get rid of clipping..

Well, it's not that I wanna kill the clipping. I do, but I wanna make the kick and snare stand out. So I figured a multichain compressor would duck the remaining tracks with a super fast release?

I'm using the Erkan's Organized Sample Kit w/ Battery 3

Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought that's what you do.

I'm on LePou's site. I love the word 'free' :D

I'll replace amplitube with lepou and work to get a real gritty tone :)

Thanks!

I think the guitar tone is ok, actually. The drums are a problem, though. This is exactly the reason why Superior Drummer 2, for example, works so much better than the old school drum machines - you need some of that drum sound, that bleed from the other mics and especially the overheads. Just sampling every drum separately won't work. The drums sound pretty terrible to be honest. You could try sending everything to a reverb to help a little with that (I mean everything in the drumset except maybe kick), the cymbals especially could really use some reverb. The drums sound very programmed.

I think the guitar tone is ok, actually. The drums are a problem, though. This is exactly the reason why Superior Drummer 2, for example, works so much better than the old school drum machines - you need some of that drum sound, that bleed from the other mics and especially the overheads. Just sampling every drum separately won't work. The drums sound pretty terrible to be honest. You could try sending everything to a reverb to help a little with that (I mean everything in the drumset except maybe kick), the cymbals especially could really use some reverb. The drums sound very programmed.

Thanks a TON. I'll definitely do that. I've updated the mix a lot since I posted it. A lot of changes :)

Still welcoming any advice :p