Hardcore

Some of it is ok, but I hate the modern emo-infused shit that mixes in a lot of whiny clean vocals. I actually used to love hardcore years ago. I still like some hardcore bands, like Shai Hulud, though I hardly ever listen to them anymore.

Suicidal Tendencies were more or less punk that turned into excellent thrash infused punk.

Kiss It Goodbye were always a favorite.

I like Hardcore, like Finch. Their Hardcore stuff is really unique and good.

Damn, I thought they were but wasn't sure before you said that.

What exactly defines Hardcore?

Good HARDCORE bands:

Agnostic Front
Murphy's Law
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Six and Violence
Madball
Sick of it All
Gorilla Biscuits
Leeway
Warzone
Sheer Terror
Crumbsuckers (seminal hardcore to me)
etc.

Btw ... Cro-Mags were never considered hardcore by the scene back in the 80's and early 90's... the HC scene didn't accept them and neither did the metal scene in those days... just letting you know because i saw this firsthand back then... they were what I would label Metalcore... and not the crap that is out today...

It's mostly the crusty or powerviolence side of hardcore that I like: Dropdead, Charles Bronson, Tragedy, His Hero Is Gone, Fuck On The Beach, Spazz, Lack of Interest, Uncurbed, Man Is The Bastard, Infest, etc. Then there's several good older bands like Agnostic Front, Minor Threat, Cro-Mags, and Sheer Terror. The sound of a lot of the straight-edge bands from the 90s kind of soured me on following the scene for a while. But I went back and discovered a lot of cool shit eventually.

hell yeah power violence! :headbang:

Emo is the best form of hardcore I think, bands like Corea, Gantz, Orchid, Envy, 1000 Travels of Jawaharlal, Circle Takes The Square, Examination Of The..., Indian Summer, etc.

Question... What exactly differentiates Emo from Screamo?

I've often heard bands like Saetia, Circle Takes the Square, and Envy being described as screamo, while bands like Rites of Spring and Indian Summer are always labeled emo.

Is there really a big difference in the two?

Question... What exactly differentiates Emo from Screamo?

I've often heard bands like Saetia, Circle Takes the Square, and Envy being described as screamo, while bands like Rites of Spring and Indian Summer are always labeled emo.

Is there really a big difference in the two?

I don't find much of a difference, screamo is emo but with more screaming vocals and less cleans. Musically they're in the same boat, with screamo maybe being more intense.

Yeah, metalcore does not equal grindcore at all in my book... :\

I would be able to enjoy hardcore more if I could go to a decent show live without getting beaten by some random asshole practicing kung fu.

No, it's not metal, but it's still heavy music. So who likes it? Who hates it? Musically it's not the best in the world but it has a sloppy feel that I love, and it can be quite heavy in a different way. I just like the lack of structure. I like Norma Jean and A Life Once Lost especially, I saw both of them live a while back at the insistence of a friend and enjoyed the hell out of it. So... thoughts?

Strictly speaking.. Pure hardcore is punk so this would belong in the Non-metal part of the board.

Satanstoenail said:
Agreed.

I also like stuff like

Converge
Botch
Turmoil
Refused
Minor Threat
Bad Brains

and deathcore/mathcore stuff like

Dillinger Escape Plan
Five Star Prison Cell
The Red Chord
Despised Icon

Converge are good and vaguely disturbing so not streamlined and digestible to the mainstream at all. Turmoil are good too, they broke up but recently came back together.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Good HARDCORE bands:

Agnostic Front
Murphy's Law
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Six and Violence
Madball
Sick of it All
Gorilla Biscuits
Leeway
Warzone
Sheer Terror
Crumbsuckers (seminal hardcore to me)
etc.

Btw ... Cro-Mags were never considered hardcore by the scene back in the 80's and early 90's... the HC scene didn't accept them and neither did the metal scene in those days... just letting you know because i saw this firsthand back then... they were what I would label Metalcore... and not the crap that is out today...

Madball are cool and straightforward. Cro-Mags who I like too are considered crossover (thrash + hardcore) so I guess you can consider them metalcore.

No one mentioned Biohazard yet. I like them best out of all hardcore.