Hardware Eq choice.... API or SSL

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
I'm going to grab a stereo pair of eq but I'm debating on API 550b or SSL 4k both in the 500 series. Im leaning on API but I'm wondering if you other guys have had any experience on these eq. Not so much for the plugin ver. but the hardware...

Well I use API hardware eq's every day. I love them, but they're not quite as versatile as the ssl's.

API's - more colorful. More character.

SSL's - more surgical. You'd probably be happy with either.

Haven't used the HW SSL's but have loved various plugin iterations of them.
The API is so beautiful and broad and musical and I love it...
BUT the steps are 2db. Thats FUCKING BOATLOADS when it comes to eqing, you may love or hate that!

Just to throw another option in the ring, what about those old black Urei 4-band parametrics? I enjoyed those for the brief time I used them.

I'd go API's for sure.

Ssl eq's are cool and everything, but if you are boosting more then cutting, the apis are way way better.

about the 2db range thing...I find it actually leads to less eq'ing..cause you basically turn the know till it's too much and then go one notch down.

one of each!!
IMHO you will be using that kind of eq on lots of mono tracks. If you ever have to use stereo (OHs, guitar buss) just print it in two steps, first Left then Right.
I have a pultec clone and a 1073 inspired eq and most of the time i say "fuck...an ssl could really work here". This is becouse is more versatile, filters, Q, continous gain....
How is your worflow? analogue in real time? or you are processing and printing track by track? if later is the case, i would really go with one of each

one of each!!
IMHO you will be using that kind of eq on lots of mono tracks. If you ever have to use stereo (OHs, guitar buss) just print it in two steps, first Left then Right.
I have a pultec clone and a 1073 inspired eq and most of the time i say "fuck...an ssl could really work here". This is becouse is more versatile, filters, Q, continous gain....
How is your worflow? analogue in real time? or you are processing and printing track by track? if later is the case, i would really go with one of each

Well I print and since I just picked up another Apogee module I can run more outs and get more processing. I've read bad things about printing cause of having to send it all out from A/D etc but meh... Yeah one of each would rock, but for now I'll go stereo.
Where did you get your 1073 clone?

Well I print and since I just picked up another Apogee module I can run more outs and get more processing. I've read bad things about printing cause of having to send it all out from A/D etc but meh... Yeah one of each would rock, but for now I'll go stereo.
Where did you get your 1073 clone?

unless i am missing something, printing the track or use it in "realtime" should imply the same path of A/D.
The 1073 eq is from argentina, i dont know if he sells it internationally
http://www.ovieaudio.com/index.php/modulos/ecualizadores/eq53lc

I recomend that you download demos for both api and ssl (waves for example) and play with both. In my case, i always go back to the SSL.

unless i am missing something, printing the track or use it in "realtime" should imply the same path of A/D.

The 1073 eq is from argentina, i dont know if he sells it internationally

http://www.ovieaudio.com/index.php/modulos/ecualizadores/eq53lc

I recomend that you download demos for both api and ssl (waves for example) and play with both. In my case, i always go back to the SSL.

I did own the plugs and well since their not to bad I can't stand Waves so I sold all my plugs from them. I mean saw some vintech I like but don't want to blow my whole bank so I'll stay with eq for now.

I did own the plugs and well since their not to bad I can't stand Waves so I sold all my plugs from them. I mean saw some vintech I like but don't want to blow my whole bank so I'll stay with eq for now.

Yeah, of course hardware is gonna blow waves ass, but i think you can get a picture of what you can do with each peace of the eq.

In my short experience with hardware, i know that most people say that eq wise plugs are pretty much there with hardware, but playing with outboard eqs is sweeeet and do and some nice vibe that is missing from plugs

Yeah, of course hardware is gonna blow waves ass, but i think you can get a picture of what you can do with each peace of the eq.

In my short experience with hardware, i know that most people say that eq wise plugs are pretty much there with hardware, but playing with outboard eqs is sweeeet and do and some nice vibe that is missing from plugs

I understand that that might be a case to case situation, exp. I like how my snare sounded with PsP old timer comp then my distressor hardware unit. But that might not be the case on another song or group. Having the ability to grab and tweak the nobs on my outboard gear does make a difference.

really? i have heard the exact opposite about "color" eqs.

well, it is a vague generalization so dont take it for granted. In my own experience and reading mostly here and gearslutz, what i can gather is that in the analog vs digital discusion, is that plugin eqs are much closer to the hardware than compressors. Im not talking about exact reacreation of a certain hardware in the digital world, but about some inherent characteristics of the complexities of analogue. It seems that the way compressors "grab" transients in the analogue world (specially in fast comps like 1176s) is still missing in the digital world. Non linearity is also something that keeps poping up in this discusion.
If you check the gear list of lots of users here and other similar forums, you will see that some have 2 or 3 hardware comps but no even 1 eq!.
I think that no only a eq is (maybe, i dont really know) easier to replicate, but it has to do with workflow also. Nowadays digital eqs have almost infinite "tweakability". I have two pieces of analogue eq (pultec and 1073 style eq) and most of the times i´m missing bands or certain frecuencies or certain q value. For example, if i wanted to cut with a narrow q in 80hz in a kick drum, with this gear, i couldnt. In this scenario, digital eqs are a god send: clean, surgical, infinite bands, you can stack them, low cpu consumption,etc
All this said, i love my outboard eqs and im waiting for the third one to arrive =)

What about the 5500, it has 0.5db steps.

I could probably do with 2db steps when i track cause then you can adjust the tone on the guitarhead etc but for mixing it sounds way to steep for metal.

What about the 5500, it has 0.5db steps.

I could probably do with 2db steps when i track cause then you can adjust the tone on the guitarhead etc but for mixing it sounds way to steep for metal.

That's a few $ that I would save and just get the 500 units instead. I have two Kush Electra that I use on guitar tracking and mixing and I like them...

That's a few $ that I would save and just get the 500 units instead. I have two Kush Electra that I use on guitar tracking and mixing and I like them...

Im waiting for my kush electra to arribe! How do you feel with them? Are they as magical as the folks at gearslutz are saying? Do they fit well for metal mixing?

Im waiting for my kush electra to arribe! How do you feel with them? Are they as magical as the folks at gearslutz are saying? Do they fit well for metal mixing?

Ok so I've only had about a few hours to get into them. I dig them. Ive used them on OH which made them sound great. I tracked them with guitars and they really cleaned up the sound on. Tomorrow I'll mix them into my kick and snare. I want to get away from work but omg it's hard feed this whole army...