Hardware impulse loader ?

fremen

Old newbie
AfaIK, the Axe-FX is the only guitar dedicated unit which can use impulses, but it's price put it out of reach of most. Now, I'm not an engineer or an informatician, but correct me if I'm wrong, would a hardware version (pedal or half-rack) of something like Voxengo Boogex cost more than a simple digital delay or digital reverb pedal ? Imagine that, a hardware impulse loader, which would load custom impulses through USB, and which we would use in the effects loop of our POD X3/Vox Tonelab/Boss GTx/Digitech GSP, or with our guitar amp… I'm surprised no manufacturer has released something like that yet, me think there's a market for this, as most of us won't use a computer on stage (Muse Receptor and it's competitors costing far too much too). What do you think ?

I've been thinking of that for a long time now. The problem is that to make it work there has to be a processor that kick ass, to make it sound good and have very low latency. That'll make it expensive. Like the Axe-FX, or the SM Pro audio V-pedal.

Man, if you could put that in a box with a load dump (with proper thermal insulation between the two components, of course), you would have a product worth spending a lot of money on. What amateur recording engineer needs to spend $1000 on a nice cab when for that price or a little more, you can have every nice cab ever made and record them silently and consistently? :p

AfaIK, the Axe-FX is the only guitar dedicated unit which can use impulses, but it's price put it out of reach of most. Now, I'm not an engineer or an informatician, but correct me if I'm wrong, would a hardware version (pedal or half-rack) of something like Voxengo Boogex cost more than a simple digital delay or digital reverb pedal ? Imagine that, a hardware impulse loader, which would load custom impulses through USB, and which we would use in the effects loop of our POD X3/Vox Tonelab/Boss GTx/Digitech GSP, or with our guitar amp… I'm surprised no manufacturer has released something like that yet, me think there's a market for this, as most of us won't use a computer on stage (Muse Receptor and it's competitors costing far too much too). What do you think ?

SM Pro-audio took it a step further with the V Machines range. The V-pedal is essentially a computer inside a multi-effects pedal case which can load any VST. So essentially you can have wagner, revalver, toneport, guitarsuite, whatever cab impulses you want, along with whatever studio quality FX plug-ins you have. That to me is simply amazing. I mean sure we probably need to go one further than impulses to really start matching cabs (impulses don't model distortion over time, and it really shows in side by side comparisons) and revalver isn't 100% there yet, but with the ability to tweak profesionally mix quality tones back home, then get that EXACT same tone at every venue you play straight into the PA... amazing. No stage spill either.