Low CPU, Best Quality Impulse Loader for Win7 64bit

Matthias King

The Machine
Anyone know which impulse loader works in Windows 7 64bit, and if there's more than one, which one works best?

Voxengo, LeCab, SIR, SIR2, etc...?

I'm thinking seriously about a PC upgrade and Windows 7 64bit would be part of it, so I'm figuring out what's going to move over to my new system, and what won't.

Thanks to any and all who can help.

I have 64 bit Win 7 and SIR2 works perfectly! I always hated the fizzy sound that you'd still hear in impulse loaders until I found the stretch button on SIR2. Crank that up as far as 130 and it really brings the bottom end out and kills that fizzy top.

Best quality and low CPU: SIR2 (works only with one impulse)

Best overall use: LeCab (up to six different impulses that allow simulation of multi-mic recordings)

Cheers!

+1 that

BUT WHY WONT THIS FUCKER RELEASE AN RTAS VERSION?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!:heh::heh::heh:

Has anyone done an IR loader shootout? I've always wondered if they actually sounded very different and leaned towards boogex but who knows...

The convolution is just multiplying, so it can't really sound different if there are no bugs in the plugin.

What can sound different are impulse morph, stretch etc features which are rarely used for our cabinet emulation purposes.

I did such shootout. Convolution is simple, but fast convolution is different beast, there is many factors - algorithm used, fft implementation etc. It`s not that simple as multiplication and addition, but runs much faster.
I compared output of some plugins with convolution in Wolfram Mathematica, results:
147691-536582.jpg

I did a similar shootout using once using MATLAB.
Highest precision was obtained with SIR2 > Cubase Reverence > KeFIR > leCab > Voxengo Boogex

So if you definitively wanna go with a single impuse, take SIR2.
But as i already posted above, i like LeCab very much for the option of loading several impulses and blending them together...