Harlequin Forest

I clicked his link and it was some shady online business deal thing...

But yeah, HF is one of the best songs off Ghost Reveries. I love the part, "They are the trees rotten pulp inside and never well" as well as when Mikael growls "Instruments of death before me." as someone else mentioned.

yea the "instruments of death before me" part is pretty sweet. Probably my favorite part of the song.

The end of this song drags on too long but other than that the song is godly.

I disagree if you are doing nothing but listening to the song the outro is so musically complex I find I wish it was longer so that I could balance all of the part together and enjoy them collectively...

everything is in perfect harmony...:worship:
...is this meant to be ironic?

How come no-one else has mentioned that wrong note in the vocal line? He always sings an E over an Eflat major chord.. (I'm referring to the verses in the first part of the song.. eg
"Into the trees
Past meadow grounds
And further away from my home

Baying behind me
I hear the hounds
Flocks chasing to find me alone")

Dissonant in a bad way. Along with the auto-tune, which makes me enjoy the song a whole lot less.

How come no-one else has mentioned that wrong note in the vocal line? He always sings an E over an Eflat major chord.. (I'm referring to the verses in the first part of the song.. eg
"Into the trees
Past meadow grounds

Baying behind me
I hear the hounds

Dissonant in a bad way. Along with the auto-tune, which makes me enjoy the song a whole lot less.

Hmm, I don't think that sounds bad or dissonant at all.

My favorite song in Ghost Reveries, and one of my overall favorite songs. pure awesomeness.

"Into the trees
Past meadow grounds

Baying behind me
I hear the hounds

Think about what those two words mean and you will understand why it was meant to be dissonant. It's called word painting. Both words have negative connotations, and both are sung with abrasive sounding harmonies. You can tell it is on purpose because the harmonic voice puts emphasis on that syllable, thats probably why you noticed it in the first place.

They do it later in the song to with "emptiness" and "Never be at ease".

I do notice the auto tune a little but only when I listen for it.

Im not really that into GR as much as all their other albums but Harlequin Forest is probably my favorite track of GR

Think about what those two words mean and you will understand why it was meant to be dissonant. It's called word painting. Both words have negative connotations, and both are sung with abrasive sounding harmonies. You can tell it is on purpose because the harmonic voice puts emphasis on that syllable, thats probably why you noticed it in the first place.

+1

and i do love this song, at first it was just eh but the more i've listened to it the more i've come to love it

the part after "a seed of hope" is so haunting

it's the song i sing to the most while i shower :p

then again i guess i could say that about the whole GR album itself, it was probably my least favorite opeth album when i picked it up but over the years it's grown on me. i still dont really like the grand conjuration though

I understand what you're getting at but I disagree. To me it sounds like he wanted that to be the melody, even though it didn't fit with the chord progression, and they decided to leave it. I don't really know what you mean by the 'harmonic voice' because there's only two voices singing in those sections, and they're in octaves, so no harmonies there. I noticed it in the first place because I have perfect pitch... the first time hearing the song it bothered me.

The auto-tune on GR is pretty obvious most of the way through. I'd have preferred his vocals to be slightly out of tune ala BWP rather than auto-tuned.. but the production on GR in general isn't exactly in my preferred style.

I understand what you're getting at but I disagree. To me it sounds like he wanted that to be the melody, even though it didn't fit with the chord progression, and they decided to leave it. I don't really know what you mean by the 'harmonic voice' because there's only two voices singing in those sections, and they're in octaves, so no harmonies there. I noticed it in the first place because I have perfect pitch... the first time hearing the song it bothered me.

The auto-tune on GR is pretty obvious most of the way through. I'd have preferred his vocals to be slightly out of tune ala BWP rather than auto-tuned.. but the production on GR in general isn't exactly in my preferred style.

Agree to disagree

This song is so overlooked and underrated, It's really quite puzzling. It's easily one of my favorite songs in existence, if you don't like this song I feel sorry for you. Truly do.