Reverie/Harlequin Forest

all_sins_undone

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
When I first bought GR, this was my favorite song. I kind of drifted away from it when GoP and the other tracks grew on me. So just the other day I was listening to Reverie/Harlequin Forest, and wow, it's one amazing song. I just learned it on my guitar, not very difficult.

Anyone else really crazy for this song? IMO its the best track on the album, tied with Ghost of Perdition.

The shredding bits combined with the riffs at the beginning really remind me of something off of Blackwater Park or Still Life (Bleak, Godhead's Lament). It's one hell of a song.

And there is something about this song that makes it sound different from the other tracks on the album, I can't really put my finger on it. Anyways, I hope that Opeth continues in this direction when recording their next album (btw, the production on Ghost Reveries kicks major ass).

I'm starting to like it alot, now that I listen to it more. A nifty thing that I noticed about this track:

When I played the CD in my car, when the really short track plays right after Atonement, which I'm guessing is "Reverie", the track time is not moving. The music is playing but the track time remains at 0:00 and as soon as Harlequin Forest starts, the time starts again. Thought it was quite cool.

Godhead's Lament said:
I'm starting to like it alot, now that I listen to it more. A nifty thing that I noticed about this track:

When I played the CD in my car, when the really short track plays right after Atonement, which I'm guessing is "Reverie", the track time is not moving. The music is playing but the track time remains at 0:00 and as soon as Harlequin Forest starts, the time starts again. Thought it was quite cool.
Hmm. Never noticed. Yeah that bit at the end of Atonement is "Reverie". It goes really well with the beginning, complicated,

00x000x0
00x000x0

Riff at the beginning of Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Uh... everyone here loves it and says it's one of Opeth's masterpieces or the best on GR. I don't understand how anyone could place it so highly... its not bad but it's surely not even close to the genius of DOTF, BRI, or GOP

The song clouds above everything else on the album. Hopefully the next album is in that direction.

Not as good as any opeth before but still amazing.

The Greys said:
The song clouds above everything else on the album. Hopefully the next album is in that direction.

Not as good as any opeth before but still amazing.

Wow, awesome. So it's not just me that was disapointed that they didn't play it on their tour :)

in limbow said:
Uh... everyone here loves it and says it's one of Opeth's masterpieces or the best on GR. I don't understand how anyone could place it so highly... its not bad but it's surely not even close to the genius of DOTF, BRI, or GOP

GoP? Uh. Umm... yeah, yeah it is close to the genius of it.

It's my second favorite behind Ghost of Perdition but gets boring in some places.

It's a fantastic song when looked at as a whole. Individually, the parts are quite boring and stale, but when put together in context of the whole the track really shines.

I dont know what 'shred' bits you're reffering to. I certainly haven't heard any on the entire album.

It's my favourite off the album. Much better than Ghost of Perdition or anything else. I dont know why so many people like Ghost of Perdition, it's boring. Baying slays it.

This was actually my least favorite "main" song on GR. Beneath the Mire always appealed to me more-so than almost all the others just cause it was like nothing i've ever heard from them before.