favorite GR passages

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
what are you favorite Ghost Reveries passages? By passages I mean, certain sections of songs that just sound good to you and make you close your eyes and reflect on the music.

Here's several of mine:

1) Opeth - Baying Of The Hounds: The clean creamy guitar part where Mikael is singing "Beneath The Mire"

2) Baying: the heavy and atmospheric part after the part above, especially when the keyboards come in.

3) Baying: The ending riffs right after the clean guitar part.

4) Ghost Of Perdition: The first clean acoustic part

5) Perdition: The entire section with the solo, from beginning to end; just magnificent.

6) Hours Of Wealth: the intro with the piano playing, it just sounds like a really soothing melody.

7) Reverie/Harlequin Forest: The entire intro with the lead

8) Reverie/Harlequin Forest: there's a really soothing and depressing acoustic passage in the middle of the song with the keyboards playing a jazzy type piece....I absolutely love that part.

What about you guys?

So many favourite passages, so I'm obliged to pick the móst favourite ones.

Ghost of Perdition:

The drums galopping into double bass at 4:47.
The building up and unfolding of the clean distorted voice at 5:55.
7:00 and the connection with the key-part, including 'to see a beloved son' and the use of voice layers here. The guitars after it.

Baying of the Hounds:

The Deep Purple-ish sound at 1:50 and the part that follows, especially the layered voice at 'And you are receptive to stark wishes', especially the melodic background voice going on during the following lyrics. Brilliant!

Everything in 'Drown in the deep mire', with the dark guitar strings after 'past desires' and especially the tragic piece after it, at 5:20. I mean that sounds so tragic, literally. That guitarsound is the musical term for 'tragedy'. Very powerful!

Another dark repetitive guitar piece at 18:19, combined with the Lopez' soft touch on the drums.

9:42 Beginning of the end.

Beneath the Mire:

The echoing mind-expanding guitars at 0:44. (I actually used the word 'mind-expanding')

5:45 (...) 5:58 Master!
(...) I sacrificed more than I have...

This track also contains my least favourite part though:

The keys in the beginning. Ideal moment to make the "Wes'side" symbol instead of the horns :D This is the only part on the album that makes me chuckle.

Atonement:

The drums throughout this song, the whole song (which ends at 5:21). (percussion included)

The distortion on the voice.

The sounds coming into play at 4:10.

5:22, Reverie. Nostalgic guitars.

Harlequin Forest:

The beginning. As if you feel the cold yet safe shadow of the trees when stepping into the forest.

1:36 'Searching the darkness...' the guitars keep supporting the voice.

7:19 "It's all false pretension".

The end of the song, the use of that dark hollow sound first in the background of the guitars, then slightly coming in front. This track makes me think of what they did with the end of 'Deliverance' (the song).

Hours of Wealth:

1:34 The keys weeping through, yet emotionally moving hope. 1:48 The fragile sounds coming in.

The Grand Conjuration:

0:45 Haunting sounds in the background. They return at the end, very atmospheric.

3:25 The violent solo and its end.

6:44 The wailing background guitar that keeps going on at the end of the piece at 7:00 which adds to the drama.

7:45 The dark atmosphere in this part, which is building up to 8:36, the apotheosis of the song. Michael's silent grunts are just amazing and combined with the music it gives you the well known Opeth-goosebumps.

The background sounds and percussion at the end.

Isolation Years:

1:28 She's lost ... In isolation... (...) And as I read ... (...) Know she was aching
2:45 'She knew he was gone' and the rest that finishes the album.

Ghost of Perdition:

KEEPER OF HOLY HORDES
KEEPER OF HOLY WHORES

How anyone can hear these words and not physically assault the person next to them is beyond me.