Tuning question for Mikael/GR Tabs I've done (4)

wankerness

Dec 3, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
Mikael, if you could possibly explain the tunings you used on this album, I would be eternally grateful! I've read the stuff you said in the session diary on opeth.com, and it says that you used open tuning on most of the songs. Did all the songs use the same tuning? It seems to me that some of the songs are in the tuning DADFAD and some are in DADFAE, and in some cases (like baying of the hounds) some parts seem to be in one tuning and some in the other. If you could say which song is in what tuning, that would be THE biggest help ever, thanks!

As for tabs I've done, I have so far completed:

Ghost of Perdition

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,20151

The Grand Conjuration

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,19413

Isolation Years

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,20214

Harlequin/Reverie Forest (I've finished the guitar on this one besides the right guitar in the first acoustic part, bass is just started though)

http://www.powertabs.net/killmesarah/wip/wank5981.ptb

Some guy who's done a few Opeth tabs that are on powertabs.net (his user name is thediceman) started baying of the hounds, but he lost internet access a couple weeks ago so I don't know how much more he's done...about 9 minutes or so are finished.

http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/bayingofthehounds.ptb

This is probably my second favorite Opeth album (I don't think anything will ever top MAYH cause that's my favorite metal album EVER), and I'm going to tab "Beneath the Mire" sometime in the very near future.

The majority of Opeth's songs are in standard EADGBE except for the entire "ghost Reveries" album which is in dropped D tuning DADGBE. Some other songs that are in DADGBE are "demon of the fall" and "blackwater park"
I don't have every opeth cd so I can't name any others but I'm quite sure about the ones I listed.

Tabris said:
The majority of Opeth's songs are in standard EADGBE except for the entire "ghost Reveries" album which is in dropped D tuning DADGBE. Some other songs that are in DADGBE are "demon of the fall" and "blackwater park"
I don't have every opeth cd so I can't name any others but I'm quite sure about the ones I listed.

You don't know what you're talking about if you think the new cd is in drop d sry.

affinityband said:
Alot of Ghost reveries is in the tuning, DADFAD, its an open tuning and they havent used it before.

Where did you get this information? I need an actual statement from Mikael on this cause a lot of parts most definitely have a high E string.

Black Rain said:
He's right, It is in DROP D. Listen again I play drums and I could even point that one out man.

Well, the bottom 3 strings of the guitar are in drop D, so to anyone that doesn't actually attempt to figure out how to play the stuff it will sound like it. There is absolutely no way to play most of the acoustic parts in drop d, though, cause the top strings are downtuned as well and allowed to ring out open all the time. It's NOT simple drop d. Mikael states in the session diary and has in Q&A sessions that they used open tunings.

Great tabs wankerness. I tried figuring it out in drop D and standard D but realized that there was virtually no way. Def. open tuned.

By the way, you should do Credence. The ones already on PT are either wrong or need a bass.

wankerness you are fucking awesome at tabs, do you use guitar pro?? guitar pro > powertabs IMO

CrimsonPRS said:
wankerness you are fucking awesome at tabs, do you use guitar pro?? guitar pro > powertabs IMO

I don't use it, it's harder for me to enter stuff in it and I sure don't want to do everything twice. Conveniently lots of dummies like to copy my tabs on mysongbook and pretend they did them, so you can get guitarpro copies sometime.

you guys have way too much time on your hands...instead of trying to play songs that have already been written you should be writing your own original songs that are different from anything else out there....thats what opeth did and thats why they are amazing

Tabris said:

haha noooob.

blinkgreenozzy said:
you guys have way too much time on your hands...instead of trying to play songs that have already been written you should be writing your own original songs that are different from anything else out there....thats what opeth did and thats why they are amazing

you're a fucking idiot. You learn other peoples work to further advance your own abilities...numbnuts. Go shoot yourself in the head.

CrimsonPRS said:

another fucking moron. emphasis on the moron. guitar pro BLOWS IF YOU READ REAL MUSIC.

jesus christ why do you people act like it was some amazing "jewel of the nile" quest to figuring out the tuning of hte new album?

Wankerness figured it out...his tabs are spot on 99 percent of the time. And the fucking session diary written by MIKE himself!!! says he used OPEN TUNINGS!!!

It's in plain english.....you are not a genius for figuring out you can't play Ghost of Perdition in drop D.