Reverie/Harlequin Forest

Mistress Bleak said:
Funny story about "BTM" intro: I was playing it in the car on the way to school, and my brother (who only likes rap and hates metal) said "whoa, that's awesome. It reminds me of mobsters walking down the street or something." Naturally, that made me crack up. Of course, the funniest of all was when Mike's vocals kicked in, and he totally changed his opinion on the song. Later on though, he asked me if he could use "that song with the cool intro" for one of his media projects for school. So he made this totally cheesy mafia video with some of his friends, and during a scene with them walking down the street, the "Beneath the Mire" intro is playing. Hehe.

:tickled: Great. - Want to see that video. :D

Armeanic said:
Good luck with that. I doubt you can find a Volvo in Sweden. -Gags on sarcasm.-

Almost no Volvos in Sweden? :erk: Well, thanks for that. I will keenly search for Mikes Saab...ehm Volvo. Don't know how Saab came to my mind. :err:

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
It's called "The russian" obviously cause I thought it sounded like Russian music. The whole arabic thing is something I use quite often and have in the past as well, but this one I don't think sounds arabic.
We name all the riffs as we put down the click tracks...it's necessary so everybody can "see" (on the computer screen) the song as well as hear it when we record. The greates riff/working title namegivers are Katatonia without a doubt...."Copjacket" was one working title for a song they had, "Faggotgang" was another, although in Swedish. I don't know how they come up with these working titles to be honest.

Thanks, my car do need a wash but I won't let anyone other than myself touch it! Hands off sucker! It's a 1988 Volvo!

Cheers
Mike
Hahahaha.. Faggotgang.. you crazy bands and your.. crazy names of crazy riffs.. how do you do it? how do you just come up with riffs like these.. dont tell me your just sitting on the toilet one day taking a shit when suddenly "dun, dundun DunDUUn, dundundun dun dunnn dundunDUN dundun DUUuun dundun doodley dundun DEEaw." <---(Masters Apprentices part after 2 minute mark) comes to your head.. tell me, how do you get to the right state of mind to come up with this stuff?

N-MAYH said:
Hahahaha.. Faggotgang.. you crazy bands and your.. crazy names of crazy riffs.. how do you do it? how do you just come up with riffs like these.. dont tell me your just sitting on the toilet one day taking a shit when suddenly "dun, dundun DunDUUn, dundundun dun dunnn dundunDUN dundun DUUuun dundun doodley dundun DEEaw." <---(Masters Apprentices part after 2 minute mark) comes to your head.. tell me, how do you get to the right state of mind to come up with this stuff?
Niall, you really are retarded.

Some of the greatest things are thought up by someone who is in the process of bringing the Browns to the Super Bowl.

Christopher Columbus decided to take a ship west while he was on the can.

Sir Thomas Crapper thought up the flushable toilet while he was sitting on his chamber pot, I'm quite sure.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented countless things: atleast three of those have to be from when he was doing his business.

Just one more (pardon the pun) peice of shit from me: If you ever want to try to come up with riffs while on the toilet, use an acoustic--electrics have an electrocution hazard.

Armeanic said:
Some of the greatest things are thought up by someone who is in the process of bringing the Browns to the Super Bowl.

Christopher Columbus decided to take a ship west while he was on the can.

Sir Thomas Crapper thought up the flushable toilet while he was sitting on his chamber pot, I'm quite sure.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented countless things: atleast three of those have to be from when he was doing his business.

Just one more (pardon the pun) peice of shit from me: If you ever want to try to come up with riffs while on the toilet, use an acoustic--electrics have an electrocution hazard.
hahahahaaaa:D

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
We name all the riffs as we put down the click tracks...it's necessary so everybody can "see" (on the computer screen) the song as well as hear it when we record.

That's so clever! And just what another great (progressive) musician does; Mike Oldfield...

Especially with his (fantastic) track/album "Amarok" that is 60 minutes long. (!!!) He was naming the riffs, and of course the sections, of the song...
Well I guess he had to, with a song THAT long...! (You can see the names printed somewhere in the booklet).

Naming the riffs is indeed very clever. Dont know why i never came up with that. I always have problems like Moonlapse said here, with playing what riff. And indeed, Mike Oldfield is doing that all the time. Again...ive learned something from Opeth:)

I like every second of GR. What do I win?

Anyways, while we're on the subject of recording. What do you guys do when you record? Here's a method I've heard of:
1.Write the song
2.Rehearse the song until it's tight
3.Record rough demo
4.Use the demo in earphones for professional
recording (instruments recorded indvidually)

But how do Opeth do it? There's no rehearsals, and there's alot of spontaniousness.

I absolutely Love the Part In R/RF when Mike sings

I trail of sickness leading to me
If i am haunted then you will see

One of the best things i love about Opeth is the fact that the songs grow on you, then fade, then grow again. Some of the songs you didnt like as much in the beginning grow on you, such as the song Black Water Park...i didnt like it much at first then it started to grow on me now its right up there with anything else they've done, which is head and shoulder above anything else anyone else has done.