Has anyone ever been pissed off about this?

epihasi

Dec 8, 2005
hey all,

has anyone ever been annoyed by the constant referring to opeth whenever some metal band puts out an album because they have like ONE acoustic part in a song?

i've been led to buying cds because the reviews on the stickers said for example: "amazing, epic music. a fusion of (insert death metal band here)'s brutality and opeth-like acoustic passages".

then you whip in the cd and you hear ONE acoustic part somewhere which sounds NOTHING like opeth.
this has been the case with the band "becoming the archetype", while the band itself is not bad, i just hate to see all these comparisons to opeth which are flat-out not true.

has anyone else experienced this?

I've only been misled to check bands out, fortunately. But then through reviews I also found some bands I really enjoyed although they don't sound "just like" Opeth like Ikuinen Kaamos and Farmakon :)

On the other hand, perhaps it's not such a bad thing that Opeth has become popular enough to set a musical standard.

yeah, but i hate the fact that opeth's sudden popularity is being used as a fucking marketing tool.
if there were actual comparisons to be made within the music, it'd be a different story and completely justified.
but just because some metal bands pick up an acoustic guitar doesn't mean they sound exactly like opeth.

for instance, the other day i read a review of Sahg II, and the reviewer said there was a song on the album which is an opeth style acoustic song.
i listened to it, do you think i could make even ONE connection between the two bands?
i'm all for opeth setting musical standards nowadays and it's awesome that their name on a cd was intended to propagate musical quality, but it's like with the movie Hostel:
do you think anyone would have given a shit about that film if Quentin Tarantino's name wouldn't have been on the cover?

edit: sahg kicks major ass.

Hey, in the entertainment industry, the time when you need to worry is when they stop comparing everyone else to you!

I really wouldn't get that worked up about it, I'm sure Mike & the boys find it more humorous than anything else.

People comment on how similar my band is to Opeth quite often, which is ridiculous.

It seems that when an extreme metal song is melodic, well written and features acoustic guitars it's considered to be like Opeth.

Not that I get offended, saying this about my work is a compliment, it's just an incorrect compliment.

Hey, in the entertainment industry, the time when you need to worry is when they stop comparing everyone else to you!

I really wouldn't get that worked up about it, I'm sure Mike & the boys find it more humorous than anything else.

yeah, i'm sure they find it humorous.
probably because they didn't spend 18 euros on a band under false pretenses. :)

I've never bought an album in this situation, but ive heard bands being compared to opeth. it's pretty stupid IMO unless it's like "porcupine tree's absentia provides progressive elements with lush moments that would sound fitting in an opeth album." only a handful of situations IMO would actually make sense.

The smart thing to do is to listen to some samples of the album before buying it, either on the internet or at the music store... I don't know if it's possible for you but here, I can listen to an album at the music store before I buy it so if I don't like it, I just leave it there.

And by the way, don't read the stickers, they're only there for 2 things, to describe the extra tracks you may find on the album and/or to sell more of them.

funniest thing ive ever seen, on the nile greatest hits, it says for fans of, behemoth, something and NILE, hahaha

but yeah, word to the wise, if a sticker says for fans of........., chances are it sounds nothing like those bands

I hear what you're saying. I've run into similiar Opeth comparisons many times in internet reviews although there's no truth to it. I don't really take it that seriously though. It happens ALL THE TIME in reviews, the reviewers like to make comparisons with other bands they know. Half the time, especially the "(insert band) copy" talks are pretty much bullshit.

Btw. I never buy albums before actually hearing some songs, it's the age of internet after all.

I think it's great Opeth's been influential to a great number of today's artists in metal and prog, but using Opeth as a mean of catching people's interest is somewhat suspicious.

It doesn't piss me off because:

1. Most of the time the band has nothing to do with opeth, even influentially.
2. I don't get angry at things said by stupid people.