Opeth to me...

The Emptier

t3h b3aSt0rZ
Oct 28, 2006
Columbus, OH/Bay Area, CA
www.facebook.com
Has become a very big influence on me. Ever so slowly this past year i have really gotten into them, acquiring all of there albums and really listening to them and not just having them in the background for ambience. As everyone knows Opeth is very unique, i think they are one of the, if not THE most versatile extreme metal band out there. Hearing songs like Heir Apparent or Demon of the Fall and then chillin to face of melinda or benighted just gives me chills to know that such a unique band is out there.

I have for the most part learned almost every acoustic opeth song (harvest, patterns in the ivy 1 and 2, credence etc. etc.) and i've taught myself to sing on opeth as well and i think i've been doing pretty well. And of course i've been learning a lot of their songs just in general, they have definitely been an influence on my guitar playing and im thinking in new ways when it comes to writing and playing.

I just feel very blessed that we have this band, this culmination of 5 guys, whose creative drive has amassed to one of the greatest acts out there.

I'm not really sure why i wrote all this but i just felt like expressing some of my feelings about opeth to some of their fans.

How has Opeth affected you? if at all? I'd like to hear some thoughts etc.

I got into them in around late 2000... I was getting heave into Swedish Death Metal with bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, etc. There was nothing coming from America that was worth listening to.... it didn't take long to realise that Swedish music was where it's at. Anyway, I had heard of Opeth but knew that lots of their songs were extremely long... since I don't have a very long attention span, I avoided them. Then one day for no reason I downloaded Face of Melinda and was blown away. I bought all their cd's (in no particular order) and would listen to them as I was going to sleep. I find this a very good way to listen to the entire product because I am totally relaxed then.

They totally changed the way I listen to music, composed music and expanded my musical tastes in general. I don't listen to them like I used to but they are still awesome.

Glad to hear that expression of your feeling about Opeth. I think most of us may feel the same way. And I do. A lot of inspiration from them also, but there's a lot of other great bands. You just need to look (listen) around. Let's not limit ourselves. :headbang:

I can't explain that feeling on 100%, but maybe you could understand a little bit of that joy- I like listeling relaxing Opeth songs and drinking coffee, watching raining, walking in the park.