What Opeth is to me.

Mourning

New Metal Member
May 26, 2001
NC
Visit site
What is every one's view of Opeth's musc. Allow me to explain mine. To me Opeth is "music" for people who don't need to be told what kind of music to listen to. Today people don't LISTEN to music, they just think power chords on a guitar and "rap/metal" which takes NO TALENT is the best and most "ant-comformist" type of music. They've lost all knowledge of true art and music. To me, I can't stand mainstream influences and those who listen to music just because MTV is playing it or they heard it from the radio. They don't take the time to look and seek out the really deep use of music and those who play it. Opeth is a music for intellectuals who actually use the mind. I've been a lover of Opeth since the Morningrise era and have since never seen a band to come comparitivly close to displaying the talent that the band has. To me, I have to LISTEN to music. Not just jumbled loops, beats, and hooks. Music today is sooo cheapened. They play music that a 5 year old can play. All these pop bands usually make their music on a computer and don't even write their own songs. It's really hard to express what Opeth means to me. It's moods and finely tuned perfection is undiscribeable. Hopefully I hope everyone knows what I mean. Most bands think you have to say "fuck" 500 times in an album to sell records. Opeth have put out 5 albums without 1 use of profanity. All the songs are pure poetry and Mikal and Peter need to be put in a hall of fame for their guitar talents. All of the acoustics are extremely advanced and simply put, are in a catagory all their own. This does not scratch the surface of the emotional side of Opeth that it holds for me. Words can only discribe so much. Often time they don't come out right. What I'm writing doesn't do Opeth justice. But they'll still keep putting out perfect albums for we true intellectuals who appreciate music/art/emotion and really LISTEN to the music which speaks loader that lyrics do and not affected by image or mainstream followers. I hope everyone knows that this is barley the feeling I have for Opeth, it goes much, much deeper than any words can convey. Does everyone feel the same?

-Mourning

I can't agree with you more, Opeth is something that is held very deep to my heart. It is music that touches the soul of people who really have a love for music. Most people who listen to the new rapcore stuff are trying to be popular, but there are some people (very few) in that crowd that need an introduction to metal and that stuff can be it. If a person really has a love for music they will search out better things and wont just stop at whats cool or trendy at the time. Hopefully they will find true music and become an addict like most of us here. Opeth is the best band I have heard thus far and I can't imagine another band being better than these guys. Their music means a whole lot to me. The weird thing is most bands I can only listen to when i'm in a certain mood but with Opeth no matter how i'm feeling happy, sad, etc. I can always play an Opeth tune and that is truly a unique thing.

my thoughts pretty much echo yours'.
If you consider the musicianship required to write a symphony, and then listen to MAYH (or any other Opeth album) it becomes evident that the epic proportions, harmonic balance and dynamic variability of the music rivals that of 'great' Renaissance composers. If some people dismiss Opeth because of stylistic differences (heaviness) it is their own loss.

Has anyone noticed that as new people join the board and new threads are made they really have to struggle not to repeat themselves? Another thing I've noticed is that most of the threads on this board, whether they were started as a poll or a very uni-directional question invariably end up being opened to a large intellectual discussion of some kind.

Does this happen on ALL music forums?
Is the fact that this one is for Opeth a coincidence?

I doubt it. It takes a particular kind of person to be an Opeth fan... with the "Opethian" thread and a few others I think we've really come to "define" what that person is... and simply put, it's a person whose mind is open enough and smart enough and compassionate enough to grasp and truely appreciate both the technical and emotional aspects of art that is Opeth.

And, what Opeth is to people remains, although put into words of a verying degree of poetic articulacy, the same. Art is a key to the human "soul" (if I may). A basic requirment for what we call humanity... without it, we're just apes with tools. And Opeth is the higest degree of that art... and the justification of who we are.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
I doubt it. It takes a particular kind of person to be an Opeth fan... with the "Opethian" thread and a few others I think we've really come to "define" what that person is... and simply put, it's a person whose mind is open enough and smart enough and compassionate enough to grasp and truely appreciate both the technical and emotional aspects of art that is Opeth.

And, what Opeth is to people remains, although put into words of a verying degree of poetic articulacy, the same. Art is a key to the human "soul" (if I may). A basic requirment for what we call humanity... without it, we're just apes with tools. And Opeth is the higest degree of that art... and the justification of who we are.

*applause* :)

Well said my friend. It's true, all opethians (real ones) share that same affectation for the extreme in darkness and serenity.

Mikael is a living legend and the most widely expressive artist I've ever come across.

Satori

The weird thing is most bands I can only listen to when i'm in a certain mood but with Opeth no matter how i'm feeling happy, sad, etc. I can always play an Opeth tune and that is truly a unique thing.

[color=sky blue]I agree with that. I like to highlight ANY occasion with the delightful sounds of Opeth. Maybe it's because of the vast range of emotions in the music? Maybe it's because of the blastbeast dramatically halting to a dream-like lullaby? Or maybe it's just because they sounds so damn good! Whatever it may be, they work with anything I do.

And calling obsessive or praiseful talk (whether it's repetitive or not) of Opeth on the OPETH FORUM verbal masterbation??? Come on. This, if anywhere, is the place to let it all out. I thought/hoped that was to be expected. I'm just happy to know many other feel and talk about Opeth like I do.[/color]

LYNN

Originally posted by Onan
is it just me, or are all of those "what opeth means to me", "is opeth more than music?" "opeth rulezzzz!" threads just turn into a lot of verbal masterbation? i think it's kind of pointless.

Be careful to not confuse your "opinion" for "fact". The verbal masturbation is only pointless if you think it is, but we obviously see a lot of meaning in it or we wouldn't bother. Thanks for your input,

Satori, the anti-christ

Originally posted by Opet

And calling obsessive or praiseful talk (whether it's repetitive or not) of Opeth on the OPETH FORUM verbal masterbation??? Come on. This, if anywhere, is the place to let it all out. I thought/hoped that was to be expected. I'm just happy to know many other feel and talk about Opeth like I do.[/color]

LYNN[/font] [/B]

yep! others are happy too! :) This board rules!

Well said lynn.....i enjoy nothing more to come into these forums daily to read the emotion and thoughts of fellow "opethians"..... and i agree that, whether happy, sad, lonely, or any other human emotion, popping in any opeth album quickly takes me to this place of true serenity and solitude. every note, chord, and riff just amazes me everytime i listen and i seem to find something new with every hearing. each song so complex and deep that it makes me want to jump out of my skin! now THAT is MUSIC!

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Has anyone noticed that as new people join the board and new threads are made they really have to struggle not to repeat themselves? Another thing I've noticed is that most of the threads on this board, whether they were started as a poll or a very uni-directional question invariably end up being opened to a large intellectual discussion of some kind.

Does this happen on ALL music forums?
Is the fact that this one is for Opeth a coincidence?

------------
"My spoon is too big!"

Hehe :) It's this huge intellectual, deep post...then "My spoon is too big!"

Who was it that said 'It takes musical talent to play metal. You only need a bad childhood to play hip-hop'?

Heheheheh... ah, you picked up on that, Kem. I choose oddball humerous materialistic quotes to end my posts with because I'm assuming that at least some of the time I'm going to be trying to speak as deeply and intellectually as possible. I just love the contrast!

Incidentally... Servo, obviously, caught the last quote... I await the person who's going to recognize this one.

k, a friend and i are having a "tiff" about how you pronounce Mikael's name.....could some please help me out with syllables please...thanks so much...=)