Opeth is boring?

I suggest a very simple explanation. Normally, people expect a song to have a recurring chorus, the defining sing-along part of your regular song. Imagine: you wait for the chorus and wait and wait and there's more and more parts piling up, but none ever repeats, so no chorus in sight. Then, at some point the already mentioned attention span ends and you stop waiting and say: it's boring.

Of course, there maybe tons of subjective reasons ... the death vox being boring because they lack melody, the songs being too slow for some, not enough shredding/showing off, too few major chords, etc.

All that neither means that "normal" songs are bad nor people finding Opeth boring are stupid. I for one still find Tool pretty boring although I like there sound pretty much. (Come on, flame me for being stupid now, I need it.)

i can understand that some people think they are boring.
i also thought so when i had bought my first album,but if you have succeded in liking one album,you know that if you just concentrate you finnaly will like any album by opeth.

I don't know the reason, and I couldn't possibly care any less. If you love Opeth, that's really all that matters. Why should it bother (or bewilder) you if someone else thinks they're boring? Who gives a shit??? You would probably think what they listen to is boring...

I don't think you can label American metal as a genre that stupid people listen to. Suffocation, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide... I mean, there's a lot of metalcore crap, LOG, and shitty bands along with wannabes, douchebags, and people that can't stand anything other than "death". But then there's other people who like brutal, black, progressive, and melodic in the same music. That's what metal is after all, isn't it?

I think people sometime bash music because they don't want to feel like they have missed something or are out to just be a dick! I myself have practiced .....when I don't like a certain style of music to let it just be that! Because I dont like doesn't mean it is not good! It does piss me off when someone says my music sucks., or is boring because I do take it personal. My music is personal and if you don't like it, please be prepared to be able to back that up. Most people can't! Some will not!
But in the end ...all is good! We can all thank the Heavans for variety!

Opeth Rocks!!!!!!:headbang:

I don't think you can label American metal as a genre that stupid people listen to. Suffocation, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide... I mean, there's a lot of metalcore crap, LOG, and shitty bands along with wannabes, douchebags, and people that can't stand anything other than "death". But then there's other people who like brutal, black, progressive, and melodic in the same music. That's what metal is after all, isn't it?

How about NEW american metal? Sure you have some good bands, but most of the new "metal" is either christian metal/metalcore. Or Numetal. FTL :(

borring, opeth? who sad that? . opeth are one of my favorite metal bands, and progressive metal is not a pop thing, easy accessable so anyone could listen it, its complicated and stunning ,captivating , absolutely beautiful ..

I know a lot of people who find Opeth boring, but then again they are not into the progressive nature of certain styles of music. Also, Opeth is a very serious band in their compositions and lyrics and it can get lost on certain types of people. And yes, newer generations grew up with ADD infested music that lasts only 3 or four minutes and is designed to be a "hit".

MY mate is in2 lamb of god and he loves opeth :D. so enough of the lamb of god bashing.Opeth take a long time to understand and most people if they dont get something the first time they hear it then they wont ever give it another chance i mean most opeth songs took time for me to appreciate most people just need to give it a bit of time. it does help if your musician but its not nessesary opeth take patience in order to understand which is why if you play opeth to a friend they usually wouldnt get it first time.

Yeah I don't understand why everyone likes to bash Lamb of God. Sure they're not exceptionally great like Opeth but at least they have a different sound and aren't just like all the other new American metal bands, and I dig their guitar tone.

I think it's an acquired taste. The first time I heard them I didn't like them, but it grew on me quickly and now Opeth is easily one of my favorite bands.

I checked out MAYH first- total shitty production snooze fest.
I tried BWP next- Total snooze fest, with occasional good soft moments.
I tried Deliverance next- Totally blown away. I fuckin love Opeth! Holy shit BWP and MAYH are cool too!

Yeah, it took me 3 tries.

Opeth is not for people with short attention spans, I know many with "ADD" and they could not sit through an Opeth song if their life depended on it. Or you just got the drunk ignorant random redneck at the show that like to shout out "get a sleeping bag" during the slow parts, those people are good targets for spitting on and throwing pissy beers at.

I must point out that I was heavy into nu metal at the time. I think that had a great deal to do with my slow and painful awakening to Opeth.

I liked opeth since i heard blackwater park.
My friend who mostly listens to rap likes them. It's just a matter of taste.
Don't worry what other people say, just go....Your missing out on some great music.