Opeth is boring?

HorrorbleOne

Universally Metal
I have been a huge fan of Opeth for four years now and continue to enjoy them more and more, to an extent where it feels like life couldn't get any better.

It infuriates me when I read reviews about people calling them not talented and the music boring. What I want to know is: What drives some people to say this? Are they just ignorant and don't have the patience to let the music sink in? Or do they not have the musical ear?

We are all here to talk about what I and I'm sure nearly all of you consider to be the best band in the world. I understand that everyone has their own opinion, but isn't it a simple fact that Opeth make great, timeless music?!

Do any of you share my sentiments? I do not understand Opeth bashers. There's nothing to bash to be quite frank.

Sorry if this comes across as being a bit silly. Thanks for reading.

Greetings from South Africa,

Keenan Oakes

I can understand why they say this - Gigantour was a great example. You had Overkill and Arch Enemy before them and Lamb of God and Megadeth after. These 4 bands don't write acoustic interludes or melodic songs. They each have a consistent sound from the beginning to the end of each song, and that is so detached from what Opeth does. Most of the people who went to see Gigantour weren't there for Opeth - probably never even heard of them.

The reason Opeth will never be mainstream is that they are such a particular and unique taste. Most people don't get them, think they're boring, and would rather listen to the same four chords over and over again. Opeth will never be like that. Every albums stands apart from the rest. Every song gives way to a unique mixture of emotion in the listener. Opeth are amazing for their heaviness as well as their softness - often in the same song - and although other bands have tried to imitate this, I've never heard it work as well as on these 7 albums (Damnation excluded).

If people want to call Opeth boring, that's fine by me. I don't want those people at the shows taking up space and screaming during Face of Melinda. Let them have their MTV-Headbanger's-Ball-Ozzfest-Sounds-of-the-Underground nonmusic.

I tend to ignore people who bash my music tastes, luckily though the majority of people I hang out with are Opeth fans so I don't really hear much Opeth abuse. Like wwallinga said, the people who don't like Opeth either don't get the style they play in, or they don't have the attention span to listen to long, complex music and would rather listen to simple music that requires little/no attention.

A friend of mine once said that opeth was turning into Nu-Metal..
I wanted to smack him :p
But I asked why he thought that.. He had no real argument for his statement.

So maybe a part of the opeth bashing is because those (new) people don't have an IQ higher then that of a monkey?

they simply want heavy and hard music, music to moshpit and headbang and act really tough on ... not everybody wants complex musicality, most people want easily digested music, be it pop music or brainless metal (which can be fun sometimes)

i have listened to opeth for a long time now, and i have to admit that they're starting to bore me. I know their music, ive seen them twice, i can play along almost every single song on my guitar...i know opeth. But when i put on a song it kinda feels like i know whats coming and its not that new and interesting anymore...difficult to explain this tho..so ive been searching for a lot of other music, i still listen opeth..ocasionally, but not as much as before

I love the elitism that emanates from this place. Seriously, some people just have different tastes in music. It doesn't mean they are dumber than someone who likes Opeth's music.

I have yet to encounter a Lamb of God fan with decent taste.

.....ever.

Well now you have.

antipunx13 said:
I love the elitism that emanates from this place. Seriously, some people just have different tastes in music. It doesn't mean they are dumber than someone who likes Opeth's music.

+1

It's called personal taste. Get over it people.