Opeth Makers

Hoahmaru

May 5, 2005
Was was your Opeth "maker" (introduced you to opeth)? and whos opeth "maker" are you??

For me it was a girl called Tallis, one who I have a very special relationship with... and since then I have introduced opeth to countless people and all seem to be mesmerized... They all love them all the way from very close friends, to music teachers, to school teachers, to rednecks, to preps, goth kids, everyone really who has any exprience with music find a special connection to Opeth's music... What can I say? They truely are great musicians...

OPETH :headbang: :worship:

Give it up for Opeth? Well I dunno about all that... *fastens chastity belt*

I guess the internet would be my Opeth maker. I haven't really been anyone's Opeth maker, though, except for a couple randoms online.

Well it went down like this. A friend of mine from high school had a death metal band and I went to one of their shows. It was my first exposure to real metal. The opening band's guitarist had on a Meshuggah shirt, so later that night I downloaded a few songs of theirs. I was blown away, and became a big Meshuggah fan. Then while talking about it in some random chatroom, some guy said "you should check out Opeth, they're much better than Meshuggah" so I did. The end.

Boredom, and a 20 dollar bill are what introduced me to Opeth (best impulse buy yet!). I've introduced pretty much everyone I know to Opeth, exception being those who won't give any form of metal a try.

My step brother in law if that makes sense. A true death metal head. At parties I'd ask him what he was listening too and would always check it out. Once I heard Opeth, I was hooked.....

Hoahmaru said:
Was was your Opeth "maker" (introduced you to opeth)? and whos opeth "maker" are you??

For me it was a girl called Tallis, one who I have a very special relationship with... and since then I have introduced opeth to countless people and all seem to be mesmerized... They all love them all the way from very close friends, to music teachers, to school teachers, to rednecks, to preps, goth kids, everyone really who has any exprience with music find a special connection to Opeth's music... What can I say? They truely are great musicians...

OPETH :headbang: :worship:

I suppose it was online influences and general word of mouth. I think I found them in a common way, by moving progressively deeper into the metal scene (Meshuggah being a great example of a "gateway" band).

Opeth was really the first "extreme" metal band I had ever listened to. I picked up Still Life in a store years ago and was mesmerized. I still am, everytime I listen to that album. Since the first note I heard from "The Moor" I was hooked. I went out and bought their discography (over a period of about a year). Opeth was a gateway band for me, I guess, even though they are still my favorite.

The back of a 'Metal Edge' mag. The Blackwater Park advertisement literally called to me. Don't know why.

Edit: I figured I'd say a little more about this. I rarely ever buy anything because of an advertisement. (Seeing movie previews doesn't really count) Even when I see a band's album with a really cool picture on it I am rarely inclined to buy it if I don't know anything about the band. But for some reason strange reason I looked at the logo, the dark swampy picture, and just the overall subtlety of the whole thing. It wasn't trying to jump out and do a bunch of macho posturing like so many other metal advertisements. I decided I needed to hear this band. Still my fave to this day. T'was fate.

one of my internet-gaming buddies recommended me slayer's "seasons in the abyss" to listen to while killing people in-game. i was mainly a classic-rocker back then and pretty much the only metal i was into was black sabbath(was a big fan) and metallica.

after getting bored of slayer i wanted some other metal band to listen to. so this same guy who recommended me slayer had a website on which he listed ~15 of his favorite bands- among them slayer, metallica, emperor, opeth, samael, etc. luckily the first thing i was able to find on google was the mp3s of still life in some guys open folder. the end.

early 1999....by cdnow.com in a "similar artists" search from Dark Tranquillity. i bought still life, morningrise, orchid and MAYH as soon as i listened to the clips. Blackwater park came out a few years later...which i downloaded a few months early on mIRC. :p

I read about opeth in the newspaper... they were praising Opeth and there was an article on Damnation. They called Opeth the best metal band and a new look at what metal can be. so of course i had to check it out, being the cute little metalhead that i am.

for me it was amazon.com. Looking for stuff like In flames. I was Opeth's fan recruiter for a while there about 5 years ago, and by that, i mean i spammed everyone everywhere to listen to them, and mailed off about 30 CD's to random people to convince them they should love Opeth. Bet a lot of you are indirectly my creations MUAHAHAHA ...It was funny to watch them go from some obscure metal band no one listened to, to one of the most popular metal bands. Really odd, actually.

i think i had read good things about them online, while reading band news, and seen cds in stores, and was interested in checkin em out. i dl'ed like 8 or so tracks, and liked em. i mentioned them to an aquintance in school and he already liked them. he let me borrow 'deliverance' and i fell in love with opeth. i immediately bought a random 4 of their cds, then the other 3 a couple weeks later.
as for getting others into opeth? uhh none i can think of. i've let some people listen to them, and no one is really a "fan" persay. then again, my memory is shit, so i may have converted some peeps, who knows.

My older brother introduced me to harvest, then some heavy stuff and I was hooked, that was a whole four years ago... Ahh how the time flies...

a kid at my school reccommended them to me when he saw one of my pink floyd t shirts so i bought blackwater park and absolutley loved it. still my most played opeth cd ever <3 harvest

Looking for a Job said:
actually this tall dyke from germany named Amara told me about them and i listened to them and i liked them and i still like them

That woman was a total fake obviously, and a psycho...you sure it wasn't me? ;)

During my freshman year in high school, I used to go to circuit city alot to buy cds from sepultura, slayer, machine head...then all of a sudden I see these Opeth - Blackwater Park Cds. I believe it just was released since it was 2001. I didn't even know if it was metal or something else...but something about the title, cover and logo just told me it was something amazing, unique, ambitious etc. It always stuck in my head...so eventually later in the year I downloaded a few songs from audio galaxy like "to bid you farewell" and "demon of the fall" and after hearing I thought, "this is cool" so I bought Blackwater Park and from the opening riffs in Leper Affinity, I was just blown away like crazy. I never heard such a solid album in a long time.

Cox Digital Cable Radio's Metal channel. Sitting at my computer, listening away...looking back at the screen periodically to see who's song was on. One band after another, all sounding pretty extreme, when a song came on with a stop-on-a-dime shift to a beautiful clean passage. I looked back to see that it was Opeth.

Went to Best Buy, got BWP, and the rest is history. Strange, to this day I couldn't tell you what song it was.

uh, i think i was just looking at metal-observer.com - looking for more death metal

saw opeth with lots of 10/10 and 9/10 so i dled a song. First song i heard was benighted
i thought it was a fake tag put on some other band. It wasn't death metal. It wasn't Metal. I still thought it was intriuging and finished listening to the song. I thought it was ok. Later, i downloaded the drapery falls. When it got the the AaaaAaaaaAaaaAaaaaAaaaAaaaAaaaAaaaAaaaaaAaAaAaAaAa part i was instantly hooked. Downloaded all their albums, had them on mp3 for a long time. I bought their dvd first (at the time i didn't buy cds, but i bought band dvds) and was extremely surprised by how laid back they were. I finally bought my first cd of theirs about a month later - morningrise. Then i bought still life and my arms, your hearse. A week later i bought damnation, deliverance, and blackwater park.

Fin.

I was bored, looked at random bands, downloaded random opeth, listened first of all to in the mist she was standing. 'Nuff said

I have managed to introduce NOBODY to Opeth because my friends are all punk fans which is kinda hopeless. and the closest ive got is with another friend who likes metal but he likes meat-head metal ala unearth, killswitch engage and other assorted shittery.....so kinda hopless really