How to explain Opeth....?

oliviasmor

Whole Lotta Woman
Jun 6, 2004
Koege, Denmark
The other day I was asked by my brother, who doesn't know anything about Opeth, what kind of music they play...? Eeeehhh - I tried to explain by saying that Opeth's music is a kind of prog-metal mixed with death-metal from growling hard beats to soft melodic riffs?!? How do you even start to explain Opeth - if you haven't got access to the actual music at the time? :confused:

Opeth calls themselves Death Metal, which they are actually...if you listen to the mentally insane grunting death metal parts hehe. But because of the melody and harmony they have, i calll them: Melodic Death Metal. Just in three 'simple' words. But ofcourse you can say a lot of things about Opeth

hmm.. even though Mikael is obsessed to call Opeth death metal, I think it doesn't fit that genre very well... the often-used "progressive death metal" is a fair description, but it just doesn't do justice to these divine melodies and beautifully crafted compositions etc.
You could of course go to the good old "Camel meets Morbid Angel"-thing, but that's of course an understatement too.

...damn. This is hard.
Just tell anyone who asks it's the best band in the world and that he/she should buy all their albums :)

Know what? Instead of trying to find some artificial brand for them like 'cold-forest-folk-death-black-doom-progessive-addictive-passive-active-heavy-light-evil-blah-blah-blah-metal' just give him a fuckin Opeth CD to listen to... :p

I hate genres.

Opeth is, well, just Opeth. If somebody asks me, I say they're metal. Then I tell them they should just listen to them and make their own decision on what they are.

MetalManCPA said:
I hate genres.

Opeth is, well, just Opeth. If somebody asks me, I say they're metal. Then I tell them they should just listen to them and make their own decision on what they are.
Excatly! :)

"Opeth: 15 minute songs about wind and ghosts.

Well, that's how somebody described them over at the Something Awful forums."

I like it ! :D hat's what I'm going to tell everybody from now on...

I always say that if Jethro tilled his land, wiping the sweat of his camel's brow, and stacked bundles of firewood in Uriah's 'heap' while in a forest with one morbid, morbid spirit while dropping to his knees pulling a Marlon Brando and screaming 'MELINDA!!!!!!!!" then that would be Opeth: A light consomme of wintry forest day over a simmering metal base.

People generally get it right away. I don't know why you're having problems.

I would explain it as the only sound in the world that can both remove a bowel obstruction and shed a tear