Listening to Opeth quite abit these days.

Twisted Tony

Old School Metalhead
Mar 18, 2002
Bricktown, NJ
Visit site
I got in to Opeth thanks to the internet. I post on alot of different BBs. One band that kept coming up was Opeth. Now there were alot of different opinions being thrown around, but the majority was that Opeth are a fantastic band.

So I decide to give them a listen. Checked out Blackwater Park first. Now I do not really care DEATH/DOOM METAL. Which is kinda what I would file Opeth under. But there is something totally different about them, they are far from your typical DEATH/DOOM METAL band.

The first thing you notice is the song structure. Very intricate and moody, not just fast and furious. These guys put alot of effort into setting a mood for their songs and it is FUCKING KILLER! I like a band that can switch gears on the fly.

The vocals are very unique. One of the reasons I don't care for DEATH METAL has always been the vocals. But Opeth offer more then grunting and growling. That guy can sing!

OK I am done! Opeth are quite possibly one of Metal's most talented band out there today!

Originally posted by Twisted Tony
I got in to Opeth thanks to the internet. I post on alot of different BBs. One band that kept coming up was Opeth. Now there were alot of different opinions being thrown around, but the majority was that Opeth are a fantastic band.

So I decide to give them a listen. Checked out Blackwater Park first. Now I do not really care DEATH/DOOM METAL. Which is kinda what I would file Opeth under. But there is something totally different about them, they are far from your typical DEATH/DOOM METAL band.

The first thing you notice is the song structure. Very intricate and moody, not just fast and furious. These guys put alot of effort into setting a mood for their songs and it is FUCKING KILLER! I like a band that can switch gears on the fly.

The vocals are very unique. One of the reasons I don't care for DEATH METAL has always been the vocals. But Opeth offer more then grunting and growling. That guy can sing!

OK I am done! Opeth are quite possibly one of Metal's most talented band out there today!

You are quite right. You are in for quite a wild ride. I advise you get all of their albums. Their earlier albums sound a bit different. But yeah, you've got a lot to look forward to.

Another one bites the dust ;) welcome aboard.

Originally posted by Twisted Tony

You hit the nail on the head here.

I'm a newbie like yourself but i now own all of opeth's cds. They are freaking talented and i think that there best cd has to be still life. I hated it the first time i listened to it because i couldnt get use to it,,,but it never leaves my cd player now. I think that you should definately get still life first and listen to it at least 3 times all the way through before judging it. I promise you will fall in love with opeths style of music.

Welcome to the forum and it's nice to see another NJ person becoming a fan. I felt the same way that you did about the vocal styles and most of my friends still won't listen to Opeth. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the complete collection of Opeth discs.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
Welcome to the forum and it's nice to see another NJ person becoming a fan. I felt the same way that you did about the vocal styles and most of my friends still won't listen to Opeth. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the complete collection of Opeth discs.

I'm from Jersey too dammit:mad: :D

I got into them last year abouts. I have all the CD's and my favorite is probably Still Life. And I agree, the mood is fucking KILLER! I love drawing stuff while listening to them.

It generally came from www.somethingawful.com, and if not, Somethingawful was the catalyst which spread this, and many other great things, like All Your Base Are Belong To Us. But now all these catch phrases are getting real old. Even the Realultimatepower site was obviously influenced by the somethingawful community, of which I am the dregs of. I was banned from the forum their, and they introduced a charging system for new members at their forum, so I didn't sign up again, and came here to spread more nonsense.

I met up with a friend over the weekend. Drank myself silly and we shared a few laughs. He's like one of the only people I know offline that loves Opeth as much or even more than I do. Metal Dave, are you on this forum??!! :err:

He says "I listen to Opeth everyday." I'm like "You're a good man, Dave." :lol: Nah, but really. I know it’s goofy, but I feel closer to friends that can appreciate Opeth. :rolleyes: