Has anyone ever worked in a Haunted House?

I will be scaring people. Not sure what my actual character is going to be yet.
I'm just in makeup and acting training now. Although the makeup director suggested I be an insane redcheck like the Rob Zombie's wife's character in Devil's Rejects. Tips as far as things to say, any good crazy characters you know of that I should check out for research?

Yes! I maintain that there's no more fun job out there than scaring the bejesus out of people. You will probably come away from it with a lot of weird and interesting new friends, too.

As far as characters go...try not to do anything that has been done before. The house I usually work at (auditions are Saturday) stresses originality above all else, so we have no Freddies or Jasons. It also depends on the room you'll be assigned to, since sometimes there's something of a plot involved to the scare. Still though, they will probably give you a good amount of freedom to do what you want.

Most people I know just try to bring out their inner wacko. If you're a calm, quiet person, you will probably end up looking ghostly and creepy. Outward, loud types usually splatter themselves in blood and wounds and scream their heads off. And the guys with chainsaws could look like normal dudes on the street if they wanted to, because almost everyone turns into a little bitch when they hear that thing turn on.

I've written quite a bit here...above all, just have fun and try to create a persona that is very much you...albeit a much more evil and undead you.

1292392053_l.jpg

Backstage photos from last season:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrquicknet/sets/72157594337787294/

The finished product:
http://www.louisvillemojo.com/gallery/gallery.cfm?gid=44235

And some more pics taken by me:
http://www.louisvillemojo.com/gallery/Gallery.cfm?GID=32621

That's all kinds of lulz.

We keep a count every season of how many people lose control of their bodily functions in the house...last year was disappointingly low. We call them "Codes"...

Code Yellow if they pee.
Code Brown if they poo.
Code Green if they puke.
Code Red if, by some means of their own stupidity, they manage to make themselves bleed in the house.
Code Purple if they have an asthma attack or somehow can't breathe.
And the newest addition, Code Blue, was added when a girl panicked and accidentally gave her boyfriend a kick to the family jewels.

I worked in a haunted house every year until I moved away...and I scare kiddies for free ;)

Wearing all black is a great idea, especially if you have something very bright that you conceal until the last minute. I use a pair of white gloves with white claws, which works very well under black lights. They don't know you're there until they see your hands coming at them.

In the haunted houses I worked in, the people in front would let us all know who was coming in and how much we should scare them..which I think is a good idea. I don't like making little kids cry, but I don't give teens any mercy, hehe :D

That's all kinds of lulz.

We keep a count every season of how many people lose control of their bodily functions in the house...last year was disappointingly low. We call them "Codes"...

Code Yellow if they pee.
Code Brown if they poo.
Code Green if they puke.
Code Red if, by some means of their own stupidity, they manage to make themselves bleed in the house.
Code Purple if they have an asthma attack or somehow can't breathe.
And the newest addition, Code Blue, was added when a girl panicked and accidentally gave her boyfriend a kick to the family jewels.

:lol:
Awesome