moving out of the parents house

Will:
Awesome to hear about the $$ improvement and opportunity!
There is nothing wrong with starting small (at a co-worker's basement) and moving forward as long as you have your goals ahead of you and working hard to achieve them! Good luck!

Where do you work now?

When I moved out of my parent's house, I moved straight in with my girlfriend at the time. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle, 20 miles or so south. She lived right in the middle of one of the most popular neighborhoods in downtown Seattle. I was slowly but surely taking more and more things from my house to her place and I think my parents were getting the hint that I was working on G'inTFO. When I unhooked my computer and packed it up, they knew for sure haha. My mom was very sad. She knew after that, the house would feel empty since all the kids were about to be gone for good.

In hindsight, I could have handled the situation a little bit better, instead of slowly moving out without saying I'm actually moving out. My mom cried that day I took my computer, and thinking about it now breaks me down. I feel bad for putting her in that situation, but on the other hand... I think she'd have reacted the same way no matter whatwhen it came to actually watching me leave for good. I'm glad I still live real close to them so that I can go see them whenever I (or they) want. I'm far enough away to feel independent, but close enough to spend time with them at the drop of a hat.

If you have a good relationship with your folks, keep that in mind. For me personally, I don't think I would enjoy life as much if I couldn't see my parents whenever I wanted to. I'm heading down there for dinner on Wednesday :)

When I moved out of my parent's house, I moved straight in with my girlfriend at the time. I grew up in a suburb of Seattle, 20 miles or so south. She lived right in the middle of one of the most popular neighborhoods in downtown Seattle. I was slowly but surely taking more and more things from my house to her place and I think my parents were getting the hint that I was working on G'inTFO. When I unhooked my computer and packed it up, they knew for sure haha. My mom was very sad. She knew after that, the house would feel empty since all the kids were about to be gone for good.

In hindsight, I could have handled the situation a little bit better, instead of slowly moving out without saying I'm actually moving out. My mom cried that day I took my computer, and thinking about it now breaks me down. I feel bad for putting her in that situation, but on the other hand... I think she'd have reacted the same way no matter whatwhen it came to actually watching me leave for good. I'm glad I still live real close to them so that I can go see them whenever I (or they) want. I'm far enough away to feel independent, but close enough to spend time with them at the drop of a hat.

If you have a good relationship with your folks, keep that in mind. For me personally, I don't think I would enjoy life as much if I couldn't see my parents whenever I wanted to. I'm heading down there for dinner on Wednesday :)

awww!
I think it's never easy for the parents to see their youngest leave 'the nest'... I think even if you would have told them beforehand and prepared them, it wouldn't have been any less hard on your mom ;)
But I see what you mean...

I think moving out of the parents' house is a huge moment. It's an exciting feeling that comes with a lot of mixed feelings too. But no matter how hard it is, both emotionally and financially, I think the main thing is the awesome feeling of independency and how it teaches you a lot about life, about the 'real world' sometimes things you didn't even know about yourself.
Some people move out at a younger age, and some move out at an older stage of their life, but no matter when you do it… you wouldn’t be able to look back and move back with your parents once you moved out.
To have YOUR OWN place is about the best feeling there is. (plus.. .walking naked in your own place is also awesome)

I sort of moved out when I was 18 and had to go to military service, and that was my first “real life” being away from home, living on base and be in the midst of the second Gulf War with Sadam (1998)
Which was a huge shock, but also a great lesson. My folks always raised us to be very independent, outgoing and adventurous so moving out after the military to Canada, England, Holland, and then to the US was such a natural move. I’m super close with my parents and I miss them so much, but its good to know they will always be there for me no matter what.
Going home for me, is like going on the best vacation there is…. My mom’s cooking, the fun of being with your family, “home” back in your old room, chillin’ with your family with cold beers on the beach (my parents live 2 minutes from the beach) … man, I love it. Can’t wait to go back home in September!! :kickass:

haha I remember I took my mom with me to see the first apartment was going to move into and she totally offended the landlord on some "we have such a beautiful home and he wants to move into this instead"

same thing with living close.

easy to see them, awesome sunday lunches, dinners on the reg, etc. I can get to my parents place by bike in like 45 minutes.

I am moving 45 min away to a college town, chapel hill, NC. yea...And my current job is a very important one, I stock the shelves of the local Dolla Tree, and I called down there and it looks like I am going to be a pro Pizza Flipper for a while, I am also a full time student(online school) so hopefully it'll all work out and I'll have time to chill sometime. That's the only thing I am not looking forward to, because I am not a people person, (the only person I can stand is my gurrl,) I refuse to do roomates, but according to my budgeting skills i will be able to survive with a good bit of money left over each month if I work 40 hrs a week, which is what i do now, but next semester i will have two extra classes.
But fuck, I am looking forward to sex without my father knocking on the door to show me "this cool ass beetle" and then making jokes about the fornication that was interrupted. That and the lack of clothing is going to be nice.

^ everyone has their "pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner" and instand noodles time period where you're poor and trying to get by. We've all been there :lol:

Good luck! You'll do just fine, and you will learn how to manage your time and get everything done, even have sex with your gurrrlll. :)

14+ hours of sleep a night would zombify me sooner than 5 hours a night would haha.

How could you even do that? Hardcore shit.

14+ hours of sleep a night would zombify me sooner than 5 hours a night would haha.

How could you even do that? Hardcore shit.

i have no idea, it turned into me oversleeping so much that when i woke up groggy, i would roll over and fall back asleep. One of my friends in high school and I used to dabble in the white stuff, and one day, after a couple of all nighters, he drove to school early and decided to take a nap in his car, he then woke up to see students walking into the school, He looked at his cell phone and saw alot of missed calls from his mother, he slept for 25 hours. it was hilarious.

Usually at the expense of sleep, at least in my experience.

When you're really busy, your sleep is the first thing to suffer...absolutely!

When I was a full time student, with a full time job and with 2 internships in the mix of all of that, I managed to get something like 5-6 hours a night which I thought was great, considering the hectic schedule.
Now I'm a 7-8 hours a night fanatic.

NJ is perfectly fine.

Karen, I'm in a coworker's basement until I save up some cash to get an apartment. I start my overnight shift tonight, making an extra $2.25/hr. I'll be making about $13/hr, which is a big improvement. I have a couple of coworkers that wanted to move out of their parents' basements and get an apartment, so they see this as a good opportunity.

Well sir, you will certainly be welcome to visit in Tampa any time. We will be buying into that Spirit Airlines $9 Fare Member Club for cheeeap flights (not ALWAYS $9 but always cheap) to and from Atlantic City Airport and Tampa International.