Pondering moving to Ireland

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Anyone ever lived or worked in southern Ireland? Considering possibly moving to either Cork or Dublin for work reasons in a year or so. Several friends are in Dublin and enjoy it, although they find themselves a bit bored.

Just kicking around the idea and wondering if any of you would have any input.

Great country. Dublin is a wonderful city, lots of things to do, excellent culture and people often find it hard to leave. I wouldn't really recommend Cork quite so much.

Great country. Dublin is a wonderful city, lots of things to do, excellent culture and people often find it hard to leave. I wouldn't really recommend Cork quite so much.

That's what everyone tells me about Dublin. I think I'll pay a visit to my friends one weekend there so I can see for myself. Thanks Derek.

I'm also kicking around Australia, but that's a bit of a stretch. It wouldn't be so hard as we have family there, but that's a pretty big move. Dublin seems like a better choice at this time.

Ireland is such a pretty country <3 My family (mother side that is) originally comes from Ireland and yet I havent been there lol...
I wish I can travel there someday see what it looks like..

on topic

this

I've never been to Ireland, or the UK (a 6 hour layover in London doesn't count) for that matter. They're definitely on my really long list of places I want to go (which includes pretty much every country in the world besides most of the African, and some of the Southeast Asian nations)

WHAT, CHRIS?!

You're leaving food-heaven, Mediterranean's bliss country to we-don't-know-how-to-eat country?

(Hey, Ireland is GORGEOUS, but my god their food sucks. )

Haha, yeah I'm just PONDERING it...just kicking around the idea. I think I'll probably stay here where I'm happy, but if the job situation doesn't clear up by December or so, we might actually do it.

I mean, we're not selling our house here or anything. We own it and we're keeping it. If we do move there, it will only be temporarily, maybe a couple of years and then we'll be back. If I can get a decent job this summer then I'll be able to live really well where I'm at.

It really sucks because the Italian economy is no worse off now than it has been for the past 20 years. The economic crisis affects burgeoning and already giant economies the most; stagnant economies who never show lots of growth (like Italy's) are pretty much left alone. However, the heads of industry here see an opportunity to cut people and make more money for themselves, even when they don't have to. Therefore, virtually NO ONE is hiring right now. They're just following a trend and tell everyone "it's because of the crisis that we're doing this", when it's really not. Italians are all like sheep, so when one person says something, everyone starts to say it and eventually they all believe it.

Haha, yeah I'm just PONDERING it...just kicking around the idea. I think I'll probably stay here where I'm happy, but if the job situation doesn't clear up by December or so, we might actually do it.

I mean, we're not selling our house here or anything. We own it and we're keeping it. If we do move there, it will only be temporarily, maybe a couple of years and then we'll be back. If I can get a decent job this summer then I'll be able to live really well where I'm at.

It really sucks because the Italian economy is no worse off now than it has been for the past 20 years. The economic crisis affects burgeoning and already giant economies the most; stagnant economies who never show lots of growth (like Italy's) are pretty much left alone. However, the heads of industry here see an opportunity to cut people and make more money for themselves, even when they don't have to. Therefore, virtually NO ONE is hiring right now. They're just following a trend and tell everyone "it's because of the crisis that we're doing this", when it's really not. Italians are all like sheep, so when one person says something, everyone starts to say it and eventually they all believe it.

That's fairly common all over the globe at the moment. I know many companies here that have been unaffected by the "crisis" but are getting rid of staff in huge quantities. Any excuse for a clear out. It's horrible, really.

Also, Irish food in Ireland is quite fine. :). Dublin especially is more multicultural and international than most people expect. I'm not saying for one second that you buy into the Irish stereotype that Americans often do, but in Dublin it's nothing like that. I recommend checking it out for yourself.

I've been to Ireland and all over the UK many times, the food SUCKS.

Now, true, it's also populated by a lot of international cuisines - and those are fantastic, (best Indian food I've ever had was in Dublin!) but the local food? Sorry, too watered down, boiled and flavorless for this lioness.
(However, most Americans who are used to Apple-Bee's/ TGI Fridays will go NUTS over it! ) :loco:

To be honest we don't really have a specific "local food" aside from Sunday roasts. There's not exactly any "Traditional English Dining" restaurants at all is there.

It's probably because of the colonial era, we were fine with just knicking food from other countries :lol:

and soaking it in green food coloring

e: thought we were still talking about Irish food.

You guys have fish and chips. It's what all the English restaurants here feature. hahaha

yeah Swabs, your 'local' food is not your country's best features :lol: (You guys do have the best Indian food ever though)
I always say that who needs food when you have great beers and pubs anyways ;)

American cuisine is very influenced from the early british/Irish crap,
but at least American cuisine has evolved into better tasting food (i.e.: southern cooking)