Has anyone here self taght themselves guitar?

False Joe

Who cares.
Oct 12, 2007
Sheep fucking land somewhere.
I was just wondering if anyone here has learned to play using only instructional books and stuff. If so, what DVDS/Books/Websites?

I can't really afford lessons atm so is there any point of me starting?

Cheers

I learnt completely by myself just, picking up useful bits of information and watching my heroes play and then try to adapt their styles. I could never have someone telling me to play how they want me to rather than how I want to. Plus you can progress at your own rate more easily imo.

Just try to play what you like, got any doubts? Ask someone you know. Thats it, no teachers nor intructional shit. Thats what I did, and i think its more efficient, economically and in time consumption. SOme learn faster by themselves.

I taught myself using Rock Guitar for Dummies. TBH, I only used the book long enough to learn the names of the strings, how to form a power chord, and the basic pentatonic scale. I recently got a bunch of chord flash cards and I use the Guitar Grimoire when I need to look up a scale or whatever. Works so far. I'm not a guitar god or anything, but I'm doing at least as well (better, imo) as my friend who's been taking lessons the same amount of time.

There are tons and tons of online guitar tutorials and stuff.

My primary instrument is keyboards and piano, so I obviously take piles and piles of lessons for that, plus music college but I own a guitar and while I'm not very good, (Playing for about a year, maybe 2 hours a week tops) everything I've learned is self-taught, or I asked some of my guitar-savvy buddies for tips. Workign in a guitar store is good that way.

Of course, the theory skills I got from piano certainly helped a huge amount. If I were actually interested in becoming a truely skilled guitarist, I think I may have to get lessons or at least seriously push myself at home for hours on end daily.

I don't know about you guys, but I learn best from other people in a one-on-one situation. I particularily learn best by watching someone else do something and then trying to imitate their technique on my own.

I was taught a lot of my technical skill by my teachers. But I have taught myself some scales and I have formed my sound on my own.

I learned a bit of theory in the two music classes I've taken in college, but I learned a lot more on my own, most of which built off of my understanding of the material that I learned in class. In fact, I just made a long-ass theory post in this thread if you're interested.

As far as playing instruments goes, I've never had a teacher, but I think I could benefit from one, though mostly because I'm just not ambitious enough to practice on my own. Actually, I'm taking voice instruction next semester, but singing is much different from playing any other instrument and I feel like I really could benefit from some professional insight.

ive been self taught for 4 and a half years of playing, i think its worked out well for me, whenever i hear somthing i like, i learn how to do it. the imporant thing is to not get too far ahead of yourself and learn the basics first unlike alot of people i know around my area who try to sweep before they can play a power chord correctly.

there are plenty of resources on the internet. i learned with tabs/by ear/websites for scales.

but music kinda comes naturally to me, so i found everything really easy and didnt really require help.

if you get stuck on somthing, feel free to ask anyone here.
~gR~

Power chords, open chords, and the pentatonic scale.
At some point you'd have to move on something that required skill, though.

ive played for almost 8 years now. once i learned to read tab, the sky was the limit. i started on the basics like "smoke on the water" "sweet home AL" and such. then i got GNR, AC/DC, and Lynyrd Skynyrd tab books and learned some things from everyone of those songs. what really helped me out along the way was guitartabs.cc, used to be a great place for tabs, but its still got a great forum. any questions you have can be answerd there

i wish now i would have taken some lessons though, because i never had anyone to show me how to play/practice correctly, i developed a lot of bad habits and technique that i am just now really getting over.

my first post, yay!:headbang:

I got my first guitar which was an acoustic when i was about 11/12 years old. My brother showed me a lot of shit like slayer riffs and Metallica riffs. I did take music in school learning a lot of theory and in college i got to level 5 in the music conservatory. I learned a lot of my fast picking from listening to a lot of Pennywise and punk shit like that. Conbinibng metal and punk really took off for me in rhythm playing. I have some problems with leads and i am working on that now..

self taught (most of the time), no knowledge of music theory (though i know some scale shapes, that's about it).. learned songs by jamming with the radio/or tab. I mostly play/compose stuff by feel.

bought some instructional books (rock discipline & guitar grimoire).imo, those stuff just inspires you to play more.

been playing for roughly 3 years now.

my advice: start slow. basics/fundamentals/technique first, no matter how boring it may be.. don't rush to play a Defeated Sanity song when you still can't riff to Green day one. also, it's really your call if you want lessons but make sure it's a one on one situation.

and yeah, just start playing, it's really fun and chances are,.. you'll get hooked.. guitar's pretty addictive.

JMO...

I started when I was around 12, iirc. My dad taught me the basics, and then I learned most of my riffs from guitar world etc. From there, Id learn every song I could etc.basically i just played...

I taught myself the basics of bass guitar with guitarpro and tabs found on the web. I started with basic AC/DC and Black sabbath songs. A semi-decent ear for music also helps though.

I taught myself. Been playing 3 years.

No books, no DVDs. Just picked it up and right away started trying to play fast scales... granted, at the time I didn't know any scales, but I tried.
When I wasn't trying to teach myself to shred, I was copying all the fucked up chords and intervals that Sonic Youth uses. Power chords weren't even in my repertoire for about five months.

Something I didn't do, which I should have done, and you should do, is just learn to play songs you like.
Learn some of the more simple Slayer and Death riffs, then skip the solos until you can actually play that fast.
And Sonic Youth... you can't go wrong with them. It'll teach you to not rely on power chords while making up riffs... diminished chords are the shit.