Has anyone here learned a Morbid Angel solo?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Has anyone here learned a Morbid Angel solo? I'm learning one now, the one on the song Dominate. It's mostly a tapped solo, I can't get my guitar to sound like the solo but I can play along the first part it ok, what do I need to do to play these types of solos well?

Sounds to me like it's mostly tapping with the aforementioned delay and reverb, with a bit of fast alt picking. Doesn't sound terribly hard. What's your rig?

Sounds to me like it's mostly tapping with the aforementioned delay and reverb, with a bit of fast alt picking. Doesn't sound terribly hard. What's your rig?
A Jackson Dinky guitar with a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Distortion Pedal and a Johnson Amp. It just takes a lot of repetition to memorize it and get it down.

A Jackson Dinky guitar with a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Distortion Pedal and a Johnson Amp. It just takes a lot of repetition to memorize it and get it down.

Is the Metal Zone your primary source of gain?

Agreed. The metalzone works for black metal or the sunlight studios sound in combination with other equipment that's actually good, but it shouldn't be the primary source of gain.

It is my primary source of gain, what else do I need with it? I basically play Norsecore/Melodic Black Metal, Technical/American/Old School Death Metal and Thrash, and varying solos of shred, etc... with other things in it also.

Get a good tube amp.
Or a good solid state combo if you can't afford a tube amp. Onboard gain from, say, a Vox 30W combo is enough for me.

It is my primary source of gain, what else do I need with it? I basically play Norsecore/Melodic Black Metal, Technical/American/Old School Death Metal and Thrash, and varying solos of shred, etc... with other things in it also.

It's not so much what else you need with it, I just tend to think unless all you plan to play is poorly produced basement Black Metal, ditch the pedal and invest in a decent rig.
If you turned up to a band audition for any kind of death or thrash metal band with just a Metal Zone as your primary source of gain, you are not going to be taken seriously especially if the band is a pro or even a semi professional band.
If you want my honest opinion, if I were auditioning guitarists and a guy walked in with an amp with just a clean channel and a Metal Zone for his primary source of gain, I'd tell him to come back with something that does sound like a box of bees or he just entirely doesn't get the gig.
A Metalzone does not produce good tone, period.

At the absolute least, if you can't afford to buy a new amp, buy a Line 6 POD X3 Live, or if that's too expensive, you can find an XT Live for around 200 US bucks these days and plug that into the front end of your amp. Sell your metalzone if you have to, to be able to afford a POD.
I have a POD X3 Live myself, and while it lacks a bit of dynamics compared to a good tube amp, for the price I paid for it and for what it is, it has very good tone and can cover a wide range of tones, not to mention it can sound great in recordings.
Your tone will improve dramatically.
If you're willing to spend even more and have the money, a good, decent priced amp on the used market like a Peavey 5150 will give you amazing tone for your dollars.
If you can get a Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer to add to it as a boost, you are very much in the ball park of what some pros are using.

What about a Fender amp? or Marshall?

What's your budget? Depending how far it stretches determines what you can get, simple as that.
I haven't heard a single Fender amp that would be good for extreme metal.
Not even the Fender Metalhead amp was good for metal. It sounds like ass. All the bad qualities of solid state in one box but only amplified at 500 watts so you can get the shittyness at even higher volumes.
Marshalls to avoid include the MG series, no matter what era, and the AVT series. Don't let that tube pre-amp in the AVT fool you, it really doesn't sound much better than an MG series. I used a Marshall AVT for band practice for months and months, even throwing various booster pedals in the front to give it more kick and nothing could make the AVT sound good for metal.

Marshalls to get would be the JCM 800 series. With the right pedals in front of it, it roars like hell.
Depending on personal taste you may or may not like the DSL and TSL JCM 2000 series. I personally like them, but some hate 'em.
The JVM series are versatile as all hell, and pack a ton of gain and can get into extreme metal territory with as little as an Ibanez TS in front of it.

Better yet than a Marshall is a modded Marshall of course.
Bogner, Soldano, Splawn etc.
All the cool qualities of Marshall but they just sound better.
Not cheap mind you.

But of course, we still don't know what your budget is, but here's some info so far anyway that can help narrow down some amps.

A couple of hundred is not going to get you into a good Marshall amp, period. A good Marshall is going to set you back EASILY over 1000 bucks.
As I said earlier, get a Line 6 POD XT or X3 on the used market within your budget. The X3 is better if you can stretch out to it, they can be found for 250-300 bucks on ebay, easily. The X3 comes with a dual tone feature which allows you to select two amp tones simultaneously, which sounds pretty good.
You can dial in Morbid Angel tones and since they are so damn versatile basically any tone imaginable can be dialed in, be it metal, jazz, or whatever.
It will sound significantly better than what you have now.

Depending on personal taste you may or may not like the DSL and TSL JCM 2000 series. I personally like them, but some hate 'em.
My "pro" rif is my friend's JCM with my Shecter Hellraiser. Sounds fucking beastly. Heavy enough for death metal, and can crank some black metal tones if I want as well.

A couple hundred dollars, it'd be nice to get something with a Morbid Angel or Behemoth tone.
What's a couple? $200? Or $500?
The cheapest solution that's actually a solution rather than a temporary fix is a Peavey 5150/6505 (same amp, two names), which is in the $800 range. Worth saving for, if you can.

Derek, does you amp have it own on board distortion? If so, how much does it distort? I may have a cheap solution for you.
Vox make some pretty cheap combos with hella onboard gain.

What's a couple? $200? Or $500?
The cheapest solution that's actually a solution rather than a temporary fix is a Peavey 5150/6505 (same amp, two names), which is in the $800 range. Worth saving for, if you can.

Vox make some pretty cheap combos with hella onboard gain.

The problem with a 5150/6505, is that in order to unleash the full potential you need tube biasing, a boost pedal (he could use his metalzone, but a Tubescreamer does the job much better) and to tame the noise a noise gate of some kind (Boss NS-2 minimum but preferably ISP Decimator), so he would have to factor in a few hundred more dollars.
Not saying it's not possible, but it doesn't sound like our OP is in any financial position to drop 700-100 bucks on a head, several hundred more on a decent cabinet since there's no point cheaping out on a cab, it's always better to buy a quality one first off rather than buying a cheapie, selling it and losing money on it and buying a better one by which time you've spent more money than you needed to.