Has anyone here self taght themselves guitar?

I wouldn't say, "DON'T GET LESSONS", they definitely work for some people and they're definitely good for some people. For others, like me, lessons don't do anything, and that counts for school, guitar, drums, etc.

If you plan on teaching yourself, get a copy of Guitar Pro 4 ( 5 is shit, I don't recommend it... I can help you find GP4 ). Get a lesson book like Petrucci's rock discipline. LISTEN to great guitarists, like Malmsteen, Becker, Friedman, etc. Experiment, and practice your ass off!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

PS Buy my T-shirt, please? :D

I'm self taught. Get someone to explain tab and practice till your fingers bleed.

And as soon as you can play a few riffs.
find a Drunmmer or Bass player who is starting out as well and start jamming cos thats were the real lessons are.

good luck

Or you could start with something good...
Judas Priest, The Ramones, Sabbath, that sort of thing.

Lessons are only as good as the teacher who teaches them. Besides, all a teacher does is provide direction; he won't learn guitar for you. Either way you're going to have to put the hours in on your own.

If you have a good teacher, you'll progress much faster and much easier than you will on your own. Unfortunately, the vast majority of guitar (especially 'rock guitar') teachers don't really cut it. But then when most of your money comes from teaching kids greenday songs, why would you?

The best book I've seen is 'Rock Guitar Secrets' by Peter Fischer. This book will give you a grounding in the most important techniques for rock and metal as well as giving approaches to applying theory to the guitar.

I just remembered that one of my friends began learning to play guitar on his own, by downloading tabs and playing them. About a year and a half later, he was proficient with most Metallica solos, but didn't even know how to play a major or minor scale, or what keys were. I eventually taught him this stuff and it improved his song writing ability only slightly, since he already had a pretty good ear for melody. Eventually, he took an intro guitar course at school and he learned a lot about how to improve his playing.