Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper

I think I may be the only one here who abhors the production on FTR. There's not enough emphasis on the low end for me. I do appreciate the amount of attention the keyboards get, though, which is why my favorite album production-wise is HCDR, heavy sound, and fair amount of keyboards.

But uh, to answer the initial question, Hatebreeder.

Oh, and Ninja Turtles > Power Rangers

In Your Face said:
Follow The Reaper...

The solos are more original and not neo-classical wanna be's... the songs are laid out and written better (especially Janne's parts), they're all more experienced musicians... the production is a LOT better, Alexi's voice sounds better... What else? Better songs all together, I mean, that is more personal opinion, but...
Well someone used to say that hatebreeder is ''the'' CoB album. It is the album that got me listening to CoB, and the neo-classical stuff is the thing that made bodom bodom. Bet you can't disagree with that ? However, I partly agree with you. Alexi's voice does definitely sound better on FTR and the overall guitar sounds are better, but I still prefer hatebreeder mainly because of its nostalgic value for me. And indeed, all these things are personal opinions.

In Your Face said:
Oh yeah, it doesn't have a following of "hatebreeder only" fans who still cry themselves to sleep because CoB changed (for the better) with Follow the Reaper/HCDR/AYDY.
Yes, changes are inevitable, but one can always debate whether it is for the better or the worse. And again it is a matter of personal taste. Personally, I found it difficult to rank CoB albums, but for me, the order is :
1.Hatebreeder (obviously)
2.HCDR
3.FTR
4.AYDY
5.SW

rr.jpg

Omg!! I used to watch that show, WTF is she a model now or something!? She's fucking weird, but it brings back memories. Wow I belong to off-topic. :tickled:

Hatebreeder, cause FTR consists of wanking and crappy song structures.

by wanking you mean alexi playing arpegios and shredding up and down the fret board? not that he doesnt do that in all the albums anyway.

the song structures are a lot more well put together in FTR and have a lot more flow to them. however i think that makes it less exciting as HB cause HB has more randomly placed bridges and such which dont get old as fast.

but anywhom, i dont think anyone needs a reason to backup whythey like or dislike something. i like HB a little better, but they are both awesome.

HauknessX said:
by wanking you mean alexi playing arpegios and shredding up and down the fret board? not that he doesnt do that in all the albums anyway.

the song structures are a lot more well put together in FTR and have a lot more flow to them. however i think that makes it less exciting as HB cause HB has more randomly placed bridges and such which dont get old as fast.

but anywhom, i dont think anyone needs a reason to backup whythey like or dislike something. i like HB a little better, but they are both awesome.

By wanking I mean uneccessary*) and too many Nintendo melodies everywhere. A general OMGLOOKATUS!-thing throughout the whole album. All these bloody fills just annoy me. Only song they manage to pull it off on properly is Kissing the Shadows. Everytime I Die is blessed with total lack of wankery, and that is good.

As for song structures...By this I mean that they put the songs together poorly. Take Mask of Sanity. Starts off with a brilliant intro, and fades into pure pish. Some good riffs in there, but in general the song is just meh. Sounds like they had a couple of good melodies and riffs, and just made some up on the spot to make a whole song out of it.

*) how the fuck do you spell that word anyway?

TheSeldomlaid said:
By wanking I mean uneccessary*) and too many Nintendo melodies everywhere. A general OMGLOOKATUS!-thing throughout the whole album. All these bloody fills just annoy me. Only song they manage to pull it off on properly is Kissing the Shadows. Everytime I Die is blessed with total lack of wankery, and that is good.

As for song structures...By this I mean that they put the songs together poorly. Take Mask of Sanity. Starts off with a brilliant intro, and fades into pure pish. Some good riffs in there, but in general the song is just meh. Sounds like they had a couple of good melodies and riffs, and just made some up on the spot to make a whole song out of it.

I don't like this wanking either, it makes the songs forgettable.

Mask of Sanity sucks on the album (once again because of the fucking shitty recording/mixing) but is great live. But I get what you mean, and Lake Bodom is a great example of that - good melody (placed alike in the song structure as in Mask of Sanity) but the rest of the song is just, well, you know.. nothing. But Mask of Sanity has some of Talking of the Trees in it.