Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
These are what I think many consider the two most epic albums of COB due to the combination of musicality and atmosphere (and album artwork and that whole something) so just discuss everything related and let's see if we get some juicy convo squeezed out. Remember to explain why you voted whatever you voted, don't just vote.

I voted Tie, but Follow the Reaper is most important to me. Personally I see 1999-2001 as the band's some kind of peak moment, because they had a nice gel of experience and personality. Today I'd rather watch Seoul 2001 than CRY. Why not go back to the roots in terms of style and atmosphere? It does not require sacrificing the experience. Old school fans miss the "mythological aura" that was present in these two albums. The neo-classical side wasn't the secret. If Alexi could write this old stuff anyday again, why does he write Northpole Throwdown instead of a song like Silent Night, Bodom Night? Cos they've done it before? The recent albums are quite repetitive in style too so I don't buy that.

I'd really like them next time to forget about spontaneous riff-writing for a second and set this vision of getting more atmosphere into the music and Lake Bodom back in the cover art for a little different perspective which could indirectly lead to fresh change. I'm just trying to speak out on behalf of other big fans what's going on in our heads. After all the wait for Relentless Reckless Forever I can safely say this is my wishes for the next album and I won't be holding my breath like last time. They had some classic moments on songs like Roundtrip to Hell and Back and Shovel Knockout which old school fans could feel, but I think they could do more.

HB......It's green for one, and its got all the greats(IMO), SNBN, WH, BoR, CoB, DF, and mine has No Commands and Aces High.....both great albums though

Hatebreeder all the way. ftr is amazing but hb is absolute masterpiece.

btw joonas, northpole throwdown must be one of the most kick ass songs of cob ive listened. i dont mind if bodom continues making songs like that. i admire alexi he isnt never satisfied so he seeks to get improved and do something different... he knows that if he continued doing the same style of songs he would always be sucessful but even though that, he still keeps changing the sound.. i cant see why thats bad for you joonas..

but ok you prefer the old bodom and thats legitime

Follow the Reaper, easily. FTR is more of a complete album, with only one weak song (northern comfort). Alexi's songwriting is solid throughout all of the songs on FTR, but a lot of sections of Hatebreeder I feel are either uninspired or not great. Warheart, Black Widow, Hatebreeder, and Wrath Within, each have some amazing bits in them but are just good/ok overall as opposed to great like the rest of HB and FTR. To be honest, I think RRF is a stronger album than Hatebreeder overall (disregarding writing style opinions). Furthermore, I don't find Hatebreeder as an album to be particularly atmospheric. Personally, I feel that only FTR has 'the sound that makes me imagine the forests of Finland'.

On another note, RRF can be pretty atmospheric in its own right. Load up the Guitar Pros for Roundtrip and Shovel and crank up the Keyboard. Ever since HCDR the keyboard tends to disappear in the mix unless its playing some kind of melody or solo. Ugly is atmospheric as hell too, but it'll have you imagining horror-esque images instead of trees. : )

Follow the Hatebreeder :D

but seriously, it's a very tough decision! and somehow a personal choice of feelings!

my vote goes to FTR!

why?

1.Lyrics are more appealing to me... Like ETID or KTS or HM or MOS...

2.Better solos... the solo for the song ETID is my favorite solo of all Alexi's solos! it's not the fastest...but the deadliest!

3.Better drumworks in my opinion! ( I personally think that some parts of drumworks in Hatebreeder were somehow repetition of what I heard in black metal bands!)

but I give FTR 9.99 out of 10

and Hatebreeder 9.90 out of 10!

so as you see I don't really want to separate them as one being the good and the other the usual!

Both are two masterpieces in whole history of metal..

I'm wondering if bands like COB or many many other scandinavian bands in the 90's were not formed what could have happened to our music?

btw joonas, northpole throwdown must be one of the most kick ass songs of cob ive listened

Only good thing I can find about it is the Chinese melody, it's kinda fun.

he still keeps changing the sound.. i cant see why thats bad for you joonas

I wish he DID change the sound, the last 4 albums have been pretty much the same, while the first three were all very different. Maybe COB doesn't care about atmosphere as much as I do, maybe it was really a mistake FTR ended up sounding like that. The single sounded more like their modern stuff after all. I've really thought about this. They do care about it cos the best stuff they put out is always the atmospheric bit, but they don't always try to write that.

Personally, I feel that only FTR has 'the sound that makes me imagine the forests of Finland'.

Yes. Hatebreeder also had that atmosphere but not with as many songs. When you listen to FTR you can SEE the forests and lakes. The success of the artwork is so essential in those two albums as it fits perfectly with the music. Hell, I even bought FTR because I was a kid who spotted this cool looking album in a store at 13. I bought it because of the artwork! However, everything is related, the music, the lyrics, the artwork, they have to be similar.

On another note, RRF can be pretty atmospheric in its own right. Load up the Guitar Pros for Roundtrip and Shovel and crank up the Keyboard. Ever since HCDR the keyboard tends to disappear in the mix unless its playing some kind of melody or solo. Ugly is atmospheric as hell too, but it'll have you imagining horror-esque images instead of trees. : )

Yep parts of those two songs are atmospheric, and also the first seconds of NMF, but there's really not much atmosphere at all otherwise unless you only listen to thrash metal or something. It's much more about technical riffs nowadays.

I envy people who don't need alcohol cos they always feel fun enough, but at least I don't need drugs cos I'm always doped.

Dude, stop doing drugs, it's bad for you.

duuuude! this is the power of music...

to show something through the ears! are you new to this feeling?o_O

showing everything thorugh the music and through the lyrics

is what music is meant to be!

I envy people who don't need alcohol cos they always feel fun enough
Me too ;___;
duuuude! this is the power of music...

to show something through the ears! are you new to this feeling?o_O

showing everything thorugh the music and through the lyrics

is what music is meant to be!
Didn't you understand that my earlier post was just a stupid joke or are you just retarded?