Hatecrew Deathroll CD (COPY PROTECTION)

SergeantD1

Jul 19, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Hello, can anyone tell me how the "copy protection" feature works on the new CD? Can it be played on the computer? Can we make MP3s from it?

Any help about this would be great because I wish to exercise my right to make backups for my car and discman (MP3) without carrying the original everywhere I go. I truly WILL NOT buy the disc if I cannot make either a "identicle backup" or MP3s from it. Thanks a lot!!

I personally was not able to even play it on my computer. I believe you've got to be able to break the code on it to be able to burn it or rip MP3's from it. I, however, am no computer guru :Smug: . Good luck man.

SergeantD1 said:
Any help about this would be great because I wish to exercise my right to make backups for my car and discman (MP3) without carrying the original everywhere I go
Well, making a copy to use in your car is actually not a 'backup' (which by definition is a copy you make and store somewhere incase something happens to the original data), it's just making a copy, and technically that is illegal (that's right, you don't actually have a 'right' to make a copy for your car. I heard advice from a music industry person that if you want a copy for your car, you should buy another copy of the CD. And they wonder why everyone hates them....... ;)). Copy protection is easily beaten though, all you need is a stereo with a line output, a cable to connect it to your pc, and some software to record the input (which is freely available on the net, in the event your soundcard didn't come with one). It means you have to run the disk through in real time rather than ripping it in a couple of minutes, but hey, you can listen to the cd while you do it, so it's not all bad ;)

This copy protection stuff really sucks ...cause there's always a way to make a copy ... an analog possible is pretty easy like yourdeadgloom explained ... a digital copy is easy too but depends on the kind of protection ... there are crack's for some protections (cdclone has some) ... but the most common protection is an error code that is left in the last bytes of data of a cd that prevents the computer from reading the cd contents ... the way to solve this is to get a black pen (the kind you use to label cds) and paint the outer line of the recorded cd section (the ink is easy to erase ... and painting just about 1cm of the circle outerline is enough) ... ducht tape works also ...

yourdeadgroom said:
Well, making a copy to use in your car is actually not a 'backup' (which by definition is a copy you make and store somewhere incase something happens to the original data), it's just making a copy, and technically that is illegal
Not in Finland. You can take almost as many copies as you want and give them anyone you want as long you don't take any money of them.

i have a program that changes cd tracks into mp3 files, so eventho there is a copy protect thingy, i can still get 'em on my comp...
(just for my own personal use, ofcourse....)
so, to me those things have never been mutch of an issue

:erk: