Have you been disapointed so far with most Metal in 2007?

Entrerie

Sep 14, 2006
It may be just me but every release from every band has been meh, even bands I adore have maybe 1 - 3 good songs on them and the rest is unmemorable fluff.

There were many many anticipated releases in 2007 but more often then not I find myself forcing myself to like something because it's from so and so band, but it's no where near the level of previous works.

Maybe it's Twist in the Myth syndrome, where the music is evolving and it will take time to adjust but more often then not if the band didn't have the history I probably wouldn't even bother to try that hard and pass over this stuff completely.

My goal is not to incite anything other then discussion, I specifically did not mention bands to keep it civil.

Seems like 2006 was a much better year and 2007 is kinda so-so, so far.

I could not disagree more. I found 2006 to be a year of few releases and many disappointments, whereas 2007 has been chock-full of new releases, only one of which has disappointed me as of yet.

If anything, I think the only problem is that Therion came out in early 2007 with possibly the best album of the year already. It's a tough album to follow.

Well, I gotta say the new Manowar sux. Too muich filler, I havent even put it back in the cd player since the week it came out. Considering that the new Saxon was realeased on the same day - and is a very good cd, I doubt that Manowar will even see a spin on the home stereo - which is probably how it is meant to be heard, but sorry, if I have to skip that many "tracks" it's not worth my time & attention.

Have yet to listen to the new Iced Earth, Kamelot etc. I will wait until I can get my hands on the full cds before I make any decisions.

Oh, and the new Wildhearts cd is freaking great - much more along the lines of the classic "Earth Vs. the Wildhearts" for anyone into crunchy, riffy, harmony laden - good time ass kicking rock & roll.

Of course - the least disappointing thing of 2007 metal so far is the continued kickassness that is PP. I try not to check the page too often so there is always something new - but as I rely on this page and the people here for metal news - I cant stay away. Is it Rocktober yet?

jeff

There has yet to be a new metal release in 2007 that has interested me. I might consider picking up the new Symphony X disc, but other than that everything I'm interested in is coming out later in the year.

I've fallen in love with more albums this year than last year. Last year had good, solid releases for me, but none that made an ass-kicking-can't-stop-listening connection like Dark Tranquillity & Therion's newest has. I'm still out on Kamelot, but Symphony X also looks promising. I wouldn't say disappointing at all.

Well, lets see... first the new Dark Tranquillity owned my ass but the new Symphony X is the best thing I've heard in I don't know how long...

So I'll disagree and say that 2007 is pretty rockin so far :)

I'm diggin' 07' so far. I've liked the latest releases from Symphony X, Kamelot, Scariot, Eldritch, Machine Men, Threshold, Novembers Doom, Thurisaz, After Forever, Raintime and to a lesser degree the new ones from Silent Force, Megadeth, Moonlight Agont, Serenity, and Saxon. There's even a few others, but you get the point.

Maybe 07' will heat up for a lot of you as the new releases become more readily avaialble.

Britt

New Dark Tranquillity is perfection. So is the new Dimmu Borgir, the new Threshold, Solitude Aeturnus, and Novembers Doom jump to mind as well. It's been great so far in my opinion and only 1/3 of the year is passed!

New Dark Tranquillity is perfection. So is the new Dimmu Borgir, the new Threshold, Solitude Aeturnus, and Novembers Doom jump to mind as well. It's been great so far in my opinion and only 1/3 of the year is passed!
Good choices...the DT and Novembers Doom are 10/10's. My other10/10 is the new Porcupine Tree.

I never have trouble with lackluster music years. There always seem to be enough kickass discs coming out to keep me in new music. But that leads to a problem that I DO have. Way more music to listen to than I could ever possibly have time for. When I get a new album that I really like I tend to play the bejesus out of it for a while.......but I also like to keep going back to older stuff.......since nothing "good" ever gets demoted out of my rotation. So the more time goes by and the bigger my cd collection.........well you get the idea heh.

I haven't bought a whole lot so far this year for several reasons, but I did pick up the new Redemption "The Origins of Ruin", and it's beyond brilliant. One listen to this disc made it little surprise that they'll be opening for Dream Theater. Easily one of the best CDs I've heard in five years.

It may be just me but every release from every band has been meh, even bands I adore have maybe 1 - 3 good songs on them and the rest is unmemorable fluff.

There were many many anticipated releases in 2007 but more often then not I find myself forcing myself to like something because it's from so and so band, but it's no where near the level of previous works.

Maybe it's Twist in the Myth syndrome, where the music is evolving and it will take time to adjust but more often then not if the band didn't have the history I probably wouldn't even bother to try that hard and pass over this stuff completely.

My goal is not to incite anything other then discussion, I specifically did not mention bands to keep it civil.

I disagree.
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction. enough said.:headbang:

I was just thinking last night about how much 2007 is owning 2006 as far as releases go already with the new Symphony X and Therion releases. Not to mention Machine Head and Dark Tranquility, oh I also am in love with the new Silent Force!

I have to completely disagree with you about this year. There have already been great albums from bands I enjoy, such as:

Lake of Tears - Moons and Mushrooms
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Månegarm - Vargstenen
Vintersorg - Solens Rötter
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
After Forever - After Forever
Dødheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast

And still have left to go that I'm waiting for:

09.05 Kalmah - TBA
15.05 Manticora - The Black Circus Part 2 - Disclosure
15.05 Hell Within - Shadows Of Vanity
18.05 U.D.O. - Mastercutor
21.05 Paradise Lost - In Requiem
21.05 Carnal Forge - Testify For My Victims
21.05 Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
21.05 Octavia Sperati - Grace Submerged
25.05 Sonata Arctica - Unia
25.05 Xandria - Salomé - The Seventh Veil
25.05 Graveworm - Collateral Defect
28.05 Turisas - The Varangian Way
28.05 Akercocke - Antichrist
28.05 Nocturnal Rites - The 8th Sin
28.05 Katatonia - Live Consternation [Live]
28.05 Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien
········ Gamma Ray - Hell Yeah! The Awesome Foursome - Live In Montreal [DVD]
········ Galadriel - Renascence
········ Evergrey - TBA
········ Stormlord - The Battle Of Quebec City: Live In Canada 2006 [DVD]
01.06 Black Majesty - Tomorrowland
01.06 Samael - Solar Soul
01.06 Kamelot - Ghost Opera
04.06 Iron Savior - Megatropolis
04.06 Nightingale - White Darkness
04.06 Vision Divine - The 25th Hour
05.06 Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
11.06 Solitude Aeturnus - Hour Of Despair [DVD]
11.06 Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying
12.06 Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
13.06 Reverend Bizarre - TBA
22.06 Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
26.06 Korpiklaani - Tervaskanto
26.06 Symphony X - Paradise Lost
29.06 King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul...Please
29.06 Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria
29.06 Lacrimosa - Lichtjahre [DVD]
········ Judas Priest - Nostradamus
········ Adagio - Archangels In Black
········ Deadsoul Tribe - A Lullaby For The Devil
········ Vanishing Point - TBA
········ Anathema - Everything
········ Behemoth - The Apostasy
········ Equilibrium - Sagas
········ Dreamscape - 5th Season
02.07 Iron Fire - Blade Of Triumph
13.07 Entombed - Serpent Saints - The Ten Amendments
20.07 Nile - Ithyphallic
········ Woods Of Ypres - Woods III: The Deepest Roots And Darkest Blues
········ Bloodbath - TBA [EP]
········ Avantasia - The Scarecrow
03.08 Gorefest - Rise To Ruin
29.08 Amorphis - Silent Waters
31.08 Primal Fear - New Religion
········ Malevolent Creation - Doomsday X
········ Biomechanical - Cannibalised
········ Sieges Even - Paramount
········ Dimension Zero - He Who Shall Not Bleed
········ Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
········ Epica - TBA
10.09 Obituary - TBA
26.09 Nightwish - TBA
········ Stratovarius - R_______ R______
········ Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked - Part 1)
········ Agent Steel - Alienigma
········ Axel Rudi Pell - Diamonds Unlocked
········ Elvenking - TBA
········ Blaze Bayley - TBA
········ The Old Dead Tree - TBA
········ Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free II

If anything, I think the only problem is that Therion came out in early 2007 with possibly the best album of the year already. It's a tough album to follow.

Bingo!

But now we will Get Symphony X's New one too...
Plus Sonata's Unia:worship:
Plus Lake Of Tears etc...I could go on, I think 2007 is shaping up well...