Have you ever ran into any of the guys

I actually saw Fredrik and Axe in Gothenburg in December, the day they were playing at Brewhouse. I only saw them from a distance though; I was on a tram going down Avenyn (the largest avenue in Gothenburg) and saw them coming out from Condeco (a coffee shop) and then walking up Avenyn. They were very recognizable even from a distance because they where both so big and made very sweeping gestures as they were walking and talking, and they had their long hair and Fredrik was all dressed in black, and I think they're both pretty tall and since it was in the winter they had large jackets on them; all which made them look like two giants walking up Avenyn =) I was in awe and turned and turned on the tram to get a better look at them =)

I went to Stockholm (and Uppsala) late last year and thought it would be majestic if I ran into one of the guys. I realised quite quickly how ridiculous that thought was.

To those who have had encounters, totally awesome! I wouldn't interrupt Peter at Maccas though. If I saw him at Max however, I'd be all yo Peter let me buy you an originalmal!

i met them at their accomadation when they came to India, I was just walking around and then i saw their car before a building, so i entered it, and looked around, suddenly i see this short guy knocking on another door, Mendez!! :worship:, i shook his hand and thanked him for coming to India, then Mikael opened the door :worship:, and i also spoke to the for 2-3 mins telling them how we dont get their CD's and stuff in India :(, anyway they were really down to earth, and later they also asked me for a lighter, but sadly i dont smoke so i couldn't help them. Awesome experience getting to meet your music gods :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

But of course - I was only wondering, because, after my wife's comments, I have to admit that Mendez's Jazz Bass looks positively gargantuan in his hands.

I still use his likeness as avatar, and bow to the awesomeness of the no-no headbanging.

Umm, let's see. He's definitely the shortest member of Opeth. I think he was slightly shorter than me (5'10'', 1.80), so I'll go with 5'6''. I'm not sure if that is how you american weirdos write it, so he was about 1.60 m. Not really short, but of course, short when compared to Axe's 6'10'', or about 2 meters.

EDIT: Wow, some losers made a website about celebrities heights. And while Mendez isn't on there, Kerry King's discussion page has a lot of metal guys. There, they agree that he's either 5'6'' or 5'7''.
http://www.celebheights.com/s/Kerry-King-3391.html

Umm, let's see. He's definitely the shortest member of Opeth. I think he was slightly shorter than me (5'10'', 1.80), so I'll go with 5'6''. I'm not sure if that is how you american weirdos write it, so he was about 1.60 m. Not really short, but of course, short when compared to Axe's 6'10'', or about 2 meters.

Whoa, 1.60? That's even smaller than my wife (1.65, I'm 1.79). No wonder the Jazz Bass looks huge :)

When they did the "band bow" at the end of the show here, you could see that Axe towers over Mendez and Per, and is a bit taller than Mike.

I'm 1.81, which is under the swedish medium for people who are 17-30, according to my doctor :p (we start shrinking after 30 you know).

edit: it better not be true, since it sounds weird.

I think i would have something of a panic attack if i ever just suddenly ran into opeth.

I think i would have something of a panic attack if i ever just suddenly ran into opeth.

Lol, probably not. I have met them all several times, (when Peter and Lopez were still in the band). They are all cool and down to Earth. I met Peter 4 times and each time he asked if I had ever seen Opeth before, lol. I met Mikeal 4 times also. Mendes 2 times, Lopez 1 time, and Per one time. I also saw Peter and Axe (IIRC) in a pub across from one of their gigs prior to the show. I didn't bother them though. I was eating, and so were they.

The Arabic traveller "Ibn Fadlan" described these Vikings as following:

I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Itil. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blond and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free. Each man has an axe, a sword, and a knife, and keeps each by him at all times. The swords are broad and grooved, of Frankish sort.

Before the Boise show I was walking around town with my wife and at first heard Mikael's voice, he was talking to Axe in Swedish. They had just finished dinner and an ale, out on the porch of this eatery. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I jumped up on the porch, and not being your typical crude American, I introduced myself with a handshake and simply thanked them for doing the show. I asked maybe two short questions. Mikael was very kind and didn't mind talking to me at all as I hung on to the rail.

I really like talking to people from different parts of the world and would have talked for a while as he was done with his meal and was just sitting back. He ended up doing most of the talking. Which was great as he's the one with an intersting life. I didn't want to take too much of their time, so I thanked them again and hopped down. No more than 5 minutes. Mikael seems to be a real :cool: guy. Very nice and patient. A very positive experience for me.

Thanks for being a great guy Mikael!! :)

The Arabic traveller "Ibn Fadlan" described these Vikings as following:

I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Itil. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blond and ruddy; they wear neither tunics nor caftans, but the men wear a garment which covers one side of the body and leaves a hand free. Each man has an axe, a sword, and a knife, and keeps each by him at all times. The swords are broad and grooved, of Frankish sort.

Hey, isn't that like.. from the book 'Thirteenth Warrior' or something? Dude was sent away because he screwed a rich guy's wife.. Right?

If you have the book in english, could you send it to me so I could read it and send it back? :lol: