Have you read the book "The Odyssey" by Homer?

Have you read the book "The Odyssey" by Homer?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Hmm...I doubt the children's book version I loved so much in the 4th grade counts... ;-)

Someday I might read the real thing, though. Although--and this may be blasphemy on a SymX board!--I tend to find Greek literature, in the original, really boring in most cases.

i chose yes, tho i havent finished it yet.

Thats the only greek literature I've really read, so judging by that only I find it quite interesting. It's well written I think. And to think of the fact that the story was first created thousands of years ago, is quite a mind-boggle.

I have read a few translations of it, and have translated several parts from the original Greek version in highschool, as well.

Katalepsy said:
I read the Odyssey in 9th Grade on-level English.

And it's an epic poem, not a book ;)

OMG!

The Odyssey, The Illiad, and teh Aeneid are my 3 favorite stories. I wish I can learn latin to read it in thier orginal form.

My favorite moment in all three stories:

Hector kills Petroclus!

Originally Posted by soundgarden
OMG!

The Odyssey, The Illiad, and teh Aeneid are my 3 favorite stories. I wish I can learn latin to read it in thier orginal form.

My favorite moment in all three stories:

Hector kills Petroclus!

Well you could get through the Aeneid with latin, but I'm afraid you would still have trouble with the other two since Homer was greek, and so wrote in greek. But nothing wrong with The Aeneid.

MC Pee pants said:
Well you could get through the Aeneid with latin, but I'm afraid you would still have trouble with the other two since Homer was greek, and so wrote in greek. But nothing wrong with The Aeneid.

Hey its all greek to me :)

soundgarden said:
I wish I can learn latin to read it in thier orginal form.
MC Pee pants said:
Well you could get through the Aeneid with latin, but I'm afraid you would still have trouble with the other two since Homer was greek, and so wrote in greek.
Seeing that Homer was a minstrel, not a writer, even learning to read Greek won't get you any closer to the original form. The stories were handed down verbally from generation to generation and later recorded.

ABQShredHead said:
Seeing that Homer was a minstrel, not a writer, even learning to read Greek won't get you any closer to the original form. The stories were handed down verbally from generation to generation and later recorded.

Well I guess my only solution to build myself a time machine. Now where did I put that wrench...

Actually Homer was just the one to record the oral stories that were passed down from generation to generation. But you are right that it would be hard to read because Homer wrote in ancient greek which i'm sure is a little different from (later greek?). BTW I would also like to hitch a ride on your time machine, but may i suggest something bigger than a phone booth...

soundgarden said:
Well I guess my only solution to build myself a time machine. Now where did I put that wrench...

There's another solution...build a Dream Sequencer. Who knows, maybe you too will find a minstrel in your past lives... ;-)

(Sorry...silly Ayreon joke!)

MC Pee pants said:
But you are right that it would be hard to read because Homer wrote in ancient greek which i'm sure is a little different from (later greek?).

The term you're lookin for is modern Greek, although it has changed since, but it's still considered to be modern. ;)

I wanna ride on that time machine, Icould go back before Romeo wrote The Edge of Forever and I can play it and say I wrote, then we go to present time where people are saying SX ripped me off. :D

BTW, I have read the Odyssey and I think Homer's epic poems are the definitave classics of literature :worship: :worship: :worship:

i saw the movie and the guy Odissius pissed me off,he refused to have immortality and the hot chicks !i was like whats wrong with this fucka :yell: :D