Having a Hard time with guitars lately...check this out

Jul 31, 2012
NJ/NY
Hey so i have had this problem with guitars for a long time now. I always seem to get the tone im looking for when it comes to guitars. Chords sound powerful, i have a good bass track running behind it (when i run it through nigel) and everything is sounding nice. but.....then comes chuggs :( everytime there's chuggs, it has that scratch, crunch, pick attack that i dont like. I change Amps n Cabs (i use amp sims) from project to project. I believe this was the cali diamond plate with some catharsis impulses. Everytime i try to use the Cali diamond plate/treadplate dual/condenser mic combo, i always get these thin weak sounding guitars. could this be a DI problem? is my DI not clean enough to have a full punchy tone thats very in your face and present, but heavy and thick at the same time? thanks for the input guys. let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try the off axis mic on the treadplate cab. In my opinion sounds much better on the Cali than the condenser.

Oh and never use two different amp heads (like the Pod Farm feature that lets you combine two amp chains into one sound) because that creates phasing issues.

Try the off axis mic on the treadplate cab. In my opinion sounds much better on the Cali than the condenser.

Oh and never use two different amp heads (like the Pod Farm feature that lets you combine two amp chains into one sound) because that creates phasing issues.

ok ill give the off axis a try, and i never use the dual tone. Phase is nasty lol could this be just a post process issue?

Good!
And to be honest your guitars sound perfectly fine to me, except I would use more distortion, then I would limit the fuck out of it. My theory is that the pick scratching is caused from a transient in the recording of the guitar itself, so limiting it might do the trick.

Good!
And to be honest your guitars sound perfectly fine to me, except I would use more distortion, then I would limit the fuck out of it. My theory is that the pick scratching is caused from a transient in the recording of the guitar itself, so limiting it might do the trick.

gotcha. I did limit the guitars, but i didnt really "limit the fuck out of it". Just about 2-3 dbs of gain reduction.