Having issues with this song

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,

I've been asking a lot of questions on this forum and at some point I figured I'd just finish a mix to a point where I can't make it a lot more better and ask for suggestions and feedback. I am at a point where eventhough I don't really like it, anything that I do doesn't improve anything. If anything, it'll be worse :(

EDIT : many views but no comment so I deleted most of the text where I explained what I think is wrong.

Here is the mix in its current state, and I'll also link other files for separate components.

dl.dropbox.com/s/jj0xjoqrdpzmhwp/NewReamp5.ogg?dl=0

Here is the Mesa only (with some EQ - LP, HP, 3dB Cut in the 150 Range, that's about it)

dl.dropbox.com/s/fgg5u53xr3plwes/Mesa_Only.ogg?dl=0

Here is the Savage only (similar EQ than the Mesa, the low cut in the 150 Range is not as deep (-2.2 dB??) and there is a 1.5 dB cut also in the 8KHz range, to remove some fizz)

dl.dropbox.com/s/0q8dy9ec876t24a/Savage_Only.ogg?dl=0

Here are the two blended as mentioned above (for some reason the volume seems lower now... not sure why)

dl.dropbox.com/s/lh1dxyn4c09sb46/Rythms_Blended.ogg?dl=0

Finally, the drum and the bass alone (I muted the guitars, no other FX turned off or anything).

dl.dropbox.com/s/z3dh4js77o9s0il/Drum%26Bass.ogg?dl=0

Any feedback is more than welcome. Even on the song, if you guys have anything you'd like to hear, it's a work in progress. I'm all hears! (or eyes? since I'm reading all this...)

Last edited:
By the way, there is a W1 limiter on the Master FX on everything I posted, just to raise the volume and make it more convenient for you guys to listen.

No one? :(

I wonder if it's a good sign or bad sign haha! "Nothing to improve, all is fine" or "It's so horrible I don't know what to tell him"!

Listening with laptop, so can't say anything about sound quality now...But sounds good with these laptop speakers.
And it sounds like Amon Amarth for some reason, or some kind of viking-metal (not a bad thing if you ask from me) :D
I'll listen it with better speakers some day..

Listening with laptop, so can't say anything about sound quality now...But sounds good with these laptop speakers.
And it sounds like Amon Amarth for some reason, or some kind of viking-metal (not a bad thing if you ask from me) :D
I'll listen it with better speakers some day..

Thanks for listening. Good point, I should perhaps have mentioned what kind of music it is! My band (or project I should say, as we will be looking for members in a near future) could be defined as Melodic Death Metal band I guess. Some songs are more Vikingish Amon Amarth kind of vibe, some a bit more in the range of Mors Principium Est, with more speed and slightly more technical riffs.

But this specific song, as you pointed out, is indeed a slower, perhaps Amon Amarth, kind of song! :)

Hey dude, sorry I hadnt seen the post till now. It sounds good, I think you could have a little bit more low end, mostly on the drums (you can parallel comp them or if you have already done just raise the vol of the Parallel Bus a bit) but thats up to taste really. Its funny but I can now listen a bit to the pick attack we talked at another post of yours, it sounds like a cool effect though!

Hey dude, sorry I hadnt seen the post till now. It sounds good, I think you could have a little bit more low end, mostly on the drums (you can parallel comp them or if you have already done just raise the vol of the Parallel Bus a bit) but thats up to taste really. Its funny but I can now listen a bit to the pick attack we talked at another post of yours, it sounds like a cool effect though!

Haha that pick thing!

As for the drum it's true that it is a focused on the "clicky" and could use some low end.

I'll try what you mentioned, thanks for the comment.

As a starting point: drums are to empty, too dry. Try parallel comp + add decent reverb to the snare drum. TBC :)

Thanks a lot. A couple mentioned parallel compression for the drums and indeed, I didn't do it when I posted this. Though I am aware of that technique, for some reason, I posted the mix without doing it!

I'll add parallel comp to kicks, snares and toms. Add a reverb, and repost soon.