Hay guys, how do you like the new Amorphis?

madu

Jul 21, 2005
In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
BEST ALBUM I'VE HEARD IN AGES

And so far the best of 2006. However, Nightingale, Second Sky, Katatonia and Agalloch haven't released theirs yet :loco:

Anyways, Eclipse is a fucking brilliant album. Catchy pop-hardrock, quite similar to NG at times, and then there's also death growls and "epic" lyrics based on Kalevala yet again, as Amorphis' primary lyricist left the band.

And the new singer, Tomi Joutsen. Whoa. This man is my new favorite, up high there, along with Dan, Daniel Gildenlöw, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Paul Kuhr and Kristoffer Rygg. And that's quite a company, so I mean he's good. *Really* good.

And then there's also the fact that my personal copy is especially awesome :D

I'm thinking NG fans will especially love this. So those who have heard it, how'd you like it? Those who haven't, GET NOW. :headbang:

(talk about off-topic :))
what I understood,
Nightingale and Second Sky will not even be released 2006.

well anyway it sounded ok... but I haven't had time to listen to it that much...
I've been "away" from amorphis many years now... the lastest I have from them (except Eclipse) is Tuonela, that I liked...
but I still think Tales from a Thousand Lakes is their best album ever.

I hear a lot of people talking bad about Eclipse because Amorphis used to be more DM and now they've gone towards commercial sounding rock. My opinion? They STILL slay.

Awesome album, listening to it right now, as a matter of fact. Easily their best since Elegy, IMO, and the new singer kicks Pasi Koskinen's ass!

Haha, the single doesn't really sound like the better stuff on the album, check out 'Leaves Scar' on their Myspace :headbang:

And yeah, Pasi is one one of my favorite vocalists, but Tomi fits Amorphis soo much better. Listening to the album for the first time, I thought "wow, it took 16 years, but finally they've found the perfect singer".

Stilgar said:
Hmm... Last time I talked with Dag, I got the impression the new Nightingale might be released this fall... But then again, there's no way to be sure I guess. :)

check this one:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226160
Dan Swanö said:
Hi guys... I doubt there will be any releases coming out from my camp this year. Both the new Nightingale and the Second Sky will be 2007 releases. Bloodbath too, if there will be any album..??? The other BB guys are not the most communicating persons alive right now ;)
I will keep you informed

madu said:
BEST ALBUM I'VE HEARD IN AGES

And so far the best of 2006. However, Nightingale, Second Sky, Katatonia and Agalloch haven't released theirs yet :loco:

Anyways, Eclipse is a fucking brilliant album. Catchy pop-hardrock, quite similar to NG at times, and then there's also death growls and "epic" lyrics based on Kalevala yet again, as Amorphis' primary lyricist left the band.

And the new singer, Tomi Joutsen. Whoa. This man is my new favorite, up high there, along with Dan, Daniel Gildenlöw, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Paul Kuhr and Kristoffer Rygg. And that's quite a company, so I mean he's good. *Really* good.

And then there's also the fact that my personal copy is especially awesome :D

I'm thinking NG fans will especially love this. So those who have heard it, how'd you like it? Those who haven't, GET NOW. :headbang:

I hear nothing special here really... Both the vocals and the music goes in bucket among millions of other bands and musicians sounding just the same. Nowhere near Nightingalestandard in my ears! I dont think the recording sound any good either.

Amorphis should make songs like Black Winter Day again, maybe I would pay them some more attension. This new album theyve released is just boring stuff.. :err:

Amorphis was one of the first bands I ever got into that had death vocals. "The Jester Race" from In Flames was my first CD followed by Amorphis "Tales from the Thousand Lakes" and then "Elegy" So Amorphis is classic to me. I thought "Tuonela" was a great album, though I wasn't sure about the new direction being good to last. I was right, as "Am Universum" then sounded awfully too familiar (especially b/c of the vocals), and it didn't take long to stop listening to it. I stopped paying them any attention after that.

I went to the myspace page. This "Leaves Scar" starts of *very* good. It pulled me in quite well. I love the flute (or whatever that is, Heh.) Those opening Death-vocals though, do not cut it at all. They sound way too familiar and unoriginal, like every Opeth album after Morningrise. The clean vocals that follow "Now I know/how to do things" are even worse. Very trendy-sounding crap. Aren't there about a thousand bands who have a singer *just* like that to the point that you couldn't tell them apart side by side? Now the next type of clean vocals used "I cover myself..." though also not too original, are at least not too bad. I could deal with those if not for the rest of the painful distractions.

Comparable to Nightingale? I think not!

I like what i've heard. The new vocalist is better than the last one who sounded really goofy to me. Musically/vocally a step in the right direction.

Amorphis still will never top tales from the thousand lakes. To bad the band did not have the same line up for atleast 1,2 more albums.

Jim LotFP said:
I bought the single, it sounded like HIM, so I'm really not interested at all.
How the hell can someone say that? HIM? This is Amorphis melding their Tuonela style with their early Elegy/Tales style! How is that HIM? I've never heard death metal vocals on any HIM track!

The new Amorphis is A. W. E. S. O. M. E.. Plain and simple. If you like the old stuff and the new stuff, you'll love this album. If you felt the new stuff was too mellow, give it a shot because it's a lot heavier than the last few. It does NOT sound like HIM. At all. Anyone calling it trendy, or mainstream, or whatever, has either never heard any other Amorphis album, or haven't heard the new one and are just talking nonsense.