The Amorphis Thread (since there isn't one already)

Better than The Karelian Isthmus? I thought they got progressively worse after Tales from a Thousand Lakes.

Yeah. I still say The Karelian Isthmus is the best death metal album.

I think that near the end of the Pasi period the music is not as exciting (I've said this already); it seemed as though some of the raw, passionate emotion from their earlier period was fizzing out (the music was still good, but there wasn't as much behind it). Now, with 'Eclipse' and 'Silent Waters' they've resurrected those old ideals and manifested them in some absolutely incredible songs. Both openers to the albums ("Two Moons" and "Weaving the Incantation") have so much raw anger and energy that was present in the early days, and the rest of the albums deliver just as much. Also, the bonus track on 'Eclipse' ("Stone Woman") is a fucking awesome rocker.

Then again, this is all my opinion; but I think Amorphis is one of those bands you can always count on to deliver.

For a long time I've held the belief that the "My Kantele" EP contained their best post-Tales recordings, and I think I still do. But I've also started warming up to their newer albums lately. Tuonela and later all have quality material (Far From The Sun I'm still not too big on), and their newest singer is great.

I think one thing that turned me off of their later material for a while was seeing them live about 7 years ago touring for Am Universam. Sounded really run-down, no energy at all, just an overall poor set. When I saw them a few years later right after they enlisted the new vocalist, they seemed a lot more energetic and powerful.

I'm one of those people that much prefers the first two albums, particularly The Karelian Isthmus, which I bought way back when it was their only album. To be fair, I haven't give the newer stuff much of a chance, but the little I heard didn't sound that appealing to my tastes.

NO. Tales is a decent album but it is not rewarding. I think they have put out great stuff post Tales, but they have been hit or niss all the way along.

They get more commercial with each album it seems. You can even see that with the transition between The Karelian Isthmus and Tales from a Thousand Lakes.

Well, Karelian, Tales, & Eledgy are three TOTALLY different albums. Tales was slightly more "acessible" than Karelian, but it wasn't necessarily better.

I'm one of those people that much prefers the first two albums, particularly The Karelian Isthmus, which I bought way back when it was their only album. To be fair, I haven't give the newer stuff much of a chance, but the little I heard didn't sound that appealing to my tastes.

My transition into the new Amorphis albums was very slow. The first song I heard was "House of Sleep," which at first I thought sounded like a slightly heavier version of some depressing alternative rock song. Then I heard songs like "Two Moons," "The Smoke," and "Born From Fire" and I started to warm up to them more. Once I bought the album and heard "Leaves Scar" and "Perkele (The God of Fire)" I knew that it was a killer record.

Furthermore, I burned Eclipse for a friend shortly after I acquired it, and the first thing he told me was that he thought it sounded very depressing and drony. It took him a few weeks of listening to it before he finally came back and proclaimed that he loved it. The chorus melody on "Two Moons" is what finally swayed him, I think. The melodies are all so fresh and amazing, and the mix of clean and growl vocals really bring out the dynamics.

I bought Eclipse right when it came out and was just blown away by it musically and especially the diversity . Eclipse has something for everyone who just like good music and a mix of old and newer Amorphis. Empty Opening and Brother Moon would be my favorite tracks. I really like the opening to empty opening which later comes in again layered with just this nice slower heavy rythmn under the section and the atmosphere is incredible.