The Amorphis Thread (since there isn't one already)

Einherjar86

Jan 15, 2008
The Ivory Tower
Old or new, Amorphis kick ass. I know a lot of people who hate the new sound, but I think it's just as good as their old sound. Everything from 'The Karelian Isthmus' to 'Silent Waters,' Amorphis have always delivered such an awesome blend of epic, black, folk metal. As everyone knows, nearly all their songs are based off of stories from the Finnish national epic, the Kalevala. So toss around any comments, good or bad, praise or folly (I'm sure some people are bound to hate Amorphis). For those who haven't had the good fortune of being introduced to them yet, here are a few songs to check out:

Northern Lights
Goddess of the Sad Man
Tuonela
Nightfall
The Way
To Father's Cabin
Divinity
Two Moons
Stone Woman
A Servant
Shaman

These are only a few that I could think of right away. Check out their myspace to hear some others.

P.S. If there is already a thread on this and I've missed it, I apologize; I looked and didn't see one.

^^its clearly their worst release

my favourite is Elegy and the both 'Brother Slayer' tracks from the My Kantele EP

The Karelian Isthmus is fucking brilliant, and surely one of the greatest Death Metal albums of all time. The Privilege of Evil is also great, but I'm leaning more towards the debut nowadays in terms of preference. I've only just really started to enjoy Tales From the Thousand Lakes and have never heard anything past the Black Winter Day EP.

Amorphis are one of the best 90's bands period and they are always the best at whatever they do whether it was death/doom metal or modern prog rock/metal. awesome band

Amorphis are a perfect example of open minded striving musicians.

favorite tracks

Divinity
Empty Opening
Shining
The Lost Name of God
My Kantele
Black River
Greed
Sign From The North Side
Perkele (The God of Fire)
Weaving The Incantation
Drowned Maid
The Castaway
Cares
The White Swan
Brother Moon
Warriors Trial

Privelege of Evil is fucking amazing and The Karelian Isthmus is pretty awesome as well. I wasn't a huge fan of Tales From a Thousand Lakes.

I got to know them through Tales from the Thousand Lakes, which has sort of been an on-off album for me in terms of enjoyment, though I've always rather liked it. I recently grew to love them much more, though, through the purchase of The Karelian Isthmus/Privilege of Evil, which is a kick-ass album.

Tales From the Thousand Lakes was one of the first more "obscure" metal albums I got. I probably got it when I was about 12-13 in '95-'96. I really wore that album out. Now when I come back to it I get bored with it. Elegy is probably my favorite right now. Eclipse & Am Universum are both great as well. Tounella always has a special place in my heart too. I never could get into Isthmus as much, but it's still kosher.

Same here, I was 14 when they released Tales.. and I found them around that same time since Black Winter Day was played on Headbangers Ball quite alot back then. I miss the old HBB with 3 hour shows, good times.
I saw them live for the first time a few months ago and it was amazing to finally get to see them. Tomi Joutsen is a fucking monster.

Tales, Elegy, Eclipse and Silent Waters are the best ones imo.

Also, they are the first band added in the Metal-Archives-database. :headbang:

Towards the end with Pasi they started to sound more like nineties American alternative/industrial, I thought. It definitely was not as exciting as the early stuff, but I thought it was still excellent songwriting. It was less of a metal approach and more of an alternative rock approach.

Eclipse and Silent Waters have been an incredible return to their folk/epic days of old. I can't wait for the next record.

^ Tuonela was a very good album compared to Far From the Sun or Am Universum (which I didn't like). My favorite Amorphis albums would be Eclipse, Elegy, and Silent Waters. I hope to see them live someday.

Karelian Isthmus, Privilege of Evil and TalesFrom The Thousand Lakes are all fucking amazing. Everything I've heard after those is shit tbh.