The Amorphis Thread (since there isn't one already)

Amorphis are to good of musicians to be confined to play 'death metal' or a specific style. I would rather have no idea what a bands next cd is going to sound like these days and am open minded enough to give the album a listen and understand they are musicians who want to expiriment not doing the samething over because that's boring. I can always listen to The Karelian Isthmus or TFTTL whenever and do not need a part 2. Amorphis are a great band and if you hear music based on 'metal',etc.. you might not like it, but you should be hearing the music not basising the music on your personal taste or what the band recorded 15 years ago. I get this feeling more that people that do not like newer Amorphis are more purely into extreme metal basing what is good or not on that and expect the band to record their favorite album 5 times.

Exactly. If you were a fan of Elegy when it came out in 96' than there is no reason to not like Eclipse and Silent Waters. Some people need to let go of "debut album is always the best" attitude.

It isn't an attitude, that is just how things usually are.

Elegy is far and away my favorite from this band. Silent Waters would be next, one of the best of 07 for me. Tales is next and then Tuonela. I love Esa Holipanen's guitar work. Usually, a band you can count on.

Elegy is far and away my favorite from this band. Silent Waters would be next, one of the best of 07 for me. Tales is next and then Tuonela. I love Esa Holipanen's guitar work. Usually, a band you can count on.

Have you listened to Eclipse? It's very similar to Silent Waters in style and sound.

Rather boring band that has nothing great from what i've heard

And yet they're number six on your listening chart there. You must be really making sure you don't like them, ;)

^ Well, at least you actually listen to a wide variety of the material. Most people (myself included) often listen to a few songs, and if we don't like it we abandon it.

If they weren't headlining a festival I wanted to go to, I woulda been done with 1 album :zombie:

edit

home in buffalo eh? buff ny? I live there too ^^

Hey, awesome! Yeah, I actually live in Clarence. It's about thirty minutes away from downtown, but I just say Buffalo otherwise no one has any idea where I'm talking about. I moved to Florida for college to get away from the cold for a little while. Go Sabres!

Amorphis are to good of musicians to be confined to play 'death metal' or a specific style. I would rather have no idea what a bands next cd is going to sound like these days and am open minded enough to give the album a listen and understand they are musicians who want to expiriment not doing the samething over because that's boring. I can always listen to The Karelian Isthmus or TFTTL whenever and do not need a part 2. Amorphis are a great band and if you hear music based on 'metal',etc.. you might not like it, but you should be hearing the music not basising the music on your personal taste or what the band recorded 15 years ago. I get this feeling more that people that do not like newer Amorphis are more purely into extreme metal basing what is good or not on that and expect the band to record their favorite album 5 times.

Ah, that's the most brilliant thing I've ever seen you say. Kudos.

On a side note if they released "The Karelian Isthmus" 10 times over people would complain that they never progressed.

^ And it's strange, because a lot of people don't like their two newest releases, but I think they sound more like their early material than anything else. I understand that the new stuff isn't death metal; but it's definitely folkier, and the reinstitution of harsh vocals really reflects their original sound. It's different than anything they've done before, but it definitely owes a lot of its inspiration to their early stuff.

The newer stuff is like what would happen if you took the surface folk elements of The Karelian Isthmus, translated them into modern rock-sounding power chord riffs, and threw in a bit of their Elegy sound among the modern "folk Finn rock" influences. It's good but I'm not that much into it.